Starting from a stop

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As already mentioned by several member, take the Basic Rider Course. We have an excercise specifically tailored for you to correct your problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have been a lurker on the forums for awhile now but i recently purchased my 2006 Blue FZ6 and I am learning very fast. This is my first bike and it has been a lot of fun learning all the tricks. I am still riding on the back roads and fear going out onto any main roads because of a simple problem.

My idle is around 1100-1300 after warmed up and i'm having trouble with stalling. I do give the bike some extra gas and it still struggles to get off from a stop. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to practice and improve my dead stops? I seem to have the most problem when there is even a slight incline, I only weigh 150 pounds so maneuvering the bike under my own power can prove to be a bit challenging.

Something you may try to help in gaining confidence in starting out(with inclines)...

Find a supermarket/department store loading dock (that has a decent incline and no trailers) and practice getting started (going uphill) using the clutch, front brake, throttle etc...

Your not in traffic, can take your time and can get the feel of just how much front brake you need to keep from rolling back while holding the throttle on slightly.... A wider loading dock is preferred (just in case)...

Hope this helps....

Scott

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
I stalled the bike constantly when I first got it. I finally ordered some ASV adjustable levers and rarely stall it now. I think with the stock levers the friction zone just wasn't in the right place for me when I let out the clutch, if that makes sense.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
As already mentioned by several member, take the Basic Rider Course. We have an excercise specifically tailored for you to correct your problem.

Is it really legal in the US to ride an FZ6 without having done any kind of basic riding course?

That's a bit alarming. I don't think I'd have survived very long if I just went and rode my bike out of the showroom without ever having had any training.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Is it really legal in the US to ride an FZ6 without having done any kind of basic riding course?

That's a bit alarming. I don't think I'd have survived very long if I just went and rode my bike out of the showroom without ever having had any training.

The law varies state to state, here in Washington you can get a motorcycle learning permit that's just as good as a license, valid for 90 days. In order to earn that you need only pass a pretty basic ~20 question test on riding. I believe that the only limitation is that you cannot ride after dusk. In order to earn the permanent two wheel endorsement on your license, you need to take and pass the MSF course (or an equivalent riding test at a DMV).

I don't know why there aren't more restrictions on the permit, or requirements to earn it. Generally common sense prevails, so far as I can tell, and the permits are generally used in conjunction with safety classes or on isolated, less-trafficked roads like the original poster does. I agree however, it's a little sketchy that someone can just go out with their permit, buy a Hyabusa and take to the roads straight away.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Good question really, and reading though the responses, it sems that this bike is prone to doing this.

I stall sometimes too. I ride the bike VERY gently in traffic, and i've given her a -2 back sprocket, and idle is low too.

Practicing is the key, just getting used to it. Parking lots are your friend, especially ones with an incline somewhere.

When you stall in traffic, the key is keeping calm, and restarting immediately, but that's just a practice thing too. :thumbup: