Squeaky Front Brake

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

My Front Brake has started squeaking. It only squeaks under light braking or when I'm coming to a slow stop with the Front Brake

Any ideas as to why this may be, and what i can to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming your rotor isn't scarred and your pads are good, it's probably dust. I think there's a spray you can buy to address this problem.

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
had the same problem, took them apart cleaned them up added some copper grease and put them back together and not had a problem in the 8 months since it was done :thumbup:

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
had the same problem, took them apart cleaned them up added some copper grease and put them back together and not had a problem in the 8 months since it was done :thumbup:

OK, someone i know said something about adding Copper Pads?

I'll take them apart and clean them, where did you get your Copper Grease from? Also, which parts did you add the Copper Grease too?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
put a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads where they contact the pistons. be careful not to get any on the rotors or front of the pads

you can buy it in halfords (get the tube, not the spray), it should last you several years. you can use it to prevent bolts corroding in place too

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
put a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads where they contact the pistons. be careful not to get any on the rotors or front of the pads

you can buy it in halfords (get the tube, not the spray), it should last you several years. you can use it to prevent bolts corroding in place too

Cool, thanks for the help.

lkea

Reaction score
Visit site
Either the rotors are the culprit or pads it self. Try to clean the whole system and inspect for any abnormalities in wear and tear. Also try to check if the slides and springs are still in good condition.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have the grease try roughing up the surface of the pads with some coarse sandpaper. Sometimes they wear in just the right pattern that makes them prone to chattering, and the sanding resets it. I have to do it to my bicycle's disc brakes all the time.

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have the grease try roughing up the surface of the pads with some coarse sandpaper. Sometimes they wear in just the right pattern that makes them prone to chattering, and the sanding resets it. I have to do it to my bicycle's disc brakes all the time.

Thanks for all the help guys. Gonna take them off over the weekend and give them a clean-up.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They make brake specific grease designed for high temps, it won't fling/wash off:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Caliper-Brush-Top-Bottle/dp/B000HBNV6W]Amazon.com: Permatex 24110 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, 8 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Your rotors and pads likely need cleaning as posted above. If your pads are glazed, a quick scruffing on the working side (of the pad) on a nice flat side walk works very well too.. If you have an air compressor, I blow the dust out probably monthly from each caliper just to keep the dust from building up.

BTW, on the SS plate that goes atop the pads/caliper, look close, there is an arrow that MUST face FORWARD..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Squeaky Front Brake // get them HOT!!

More often than not its how you use them and less about greasing things.

Those who are light on the brakes glaze the pads and rotors building a film that is nearly invisible in nature. As the film builds it makes the pads chatter on the rotor at high frequency gripping and releasing even though they are in contact and functional. Pads are composed of glues and abrasives. Without enough heat applied the glues build up on the pads surface and transfer to the rotors surface. This film goes away with heat.

QUESTION: For those with squeaky brakes, tell us if you ever pull it down from 70 mph to a stop in a SHORT DISTANCE!?

If you don't, they won't see the heat needed to burn off the glaze. On your next ride, safely haul it down from a higher speed in a short distance. Ride for mile or so and repeat at least two more times. Stopping from speed occasionally will likely reduce brake noise from pad chatter.

CAVEAT: Brakes that drag all the time will glaze. Your pistons can't be stuck in the caliper (or caliper not floating - i.e. back brakes are floating calipers). After a ride lift the nose. Spin the tire. It should easily make several revolutions. If it doesn't repairs are needed.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site

Failing a good burn-it-off session, I hit the pads and rotors with a fine-ish (120 grit I think) sandpaper. Just scuff the rotor up some, and use a solid flat surface for the pads... sidewalk works too I suppose.

I use Permatex "ceramic" brake grease, like the previously posted stuff but the label (and the grease) are purple. It's some sticky ish, and supposed to be good to some obscene temperature. Like $16 a bottle but I'm probably on 4 years using it on all my vehicles. Probably overkill, the regular brake grease probably works fine, but whatever. Put it on slides/retaining pins, pad edges (where they ride in the caliper or bracket) and the backing plates, makes everything happy.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Failing a good burn-it-off session, I hit the pads and rotors with a fine-ish (120 grit I think) sandpaper. Just scuff the rotor up some, and use a solid flat surface for the pads... sidewalk works too I suppose.

I use Permatex "ceramic" brake grease, like the previously posted stuff but the label (and the grease) are purple. It's some sticky ish, and supposed to be good to some obscene temperature. Like $16 a bottle but I'm probably on 4 years using it on all my vehicles. Probably overkill, the regular brake grease probably works fine, but whatever. Put it on slides/retaining pins, pad edges (where they ride in the caliper or bracket) and the backing plates, makes everything happy.

That Permatex you have is the ceramic 24125, higher temps, stickier (I have both bottles depending on the application). Great idea on the rotor too...:thumbup:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PSASU]Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site

That Permatex you have is the ceramic 24125, higher temps, stickier (I have both bottles depending on the application). Great idea on the rotor too...:thumbup:

The rotor is key usually, Finalimpact is right about them glazing. I had the same problem before I swapped forks, and sanded and greased the pads when I swapped... still there. Scuffing the rotors up took care of it real nice.