Spraying bike with a hose, what to cover?

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a lot of people say you need to cover the ignition and exhaust openings if you're going to be washing a motorcycle with a hose. Is there anything else that should be covered, or anything to avoid spraying directly with the hose?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I cover nothing and spray everything, as long as it isn't super powerful and you dont get really close and use it to soak and rinse then i wouldn't worry. if it can take riding in rain a hose should be find, it will evaporate out the exhaust and just keep ya ignition well lubed and it all be fine

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cover nothing and spray everything, as long as it isn't super powerful and you dont get really close and use it to soak and rinse then i wouldn't worry. if it can take riding in rain a hose should be find, it will evaporate out the exhaust and just keep ya ignition well lubed and it all be fine

+1. No need to cover anything.. just don't use high pressure washer. Certainly don't sit there and spray directly into exhaust and wait for it to fully fill up :rof: .. but no need to cover it.

Best thing you can do is go for a ride after wash to blow-dry the bike :D

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
+1. No need to cover anything.. just don't use high pressure washer. Certainly don't sit there and spray directly into exhaust and wait for it to fully fill up :rof: .. but no need to cover it.

haha simple things. now i am laughing picturing someone standing with a hose in the exhaust with a speech bubble saying

"this will clean all the nasty fumes out"

deffo agree on the ride after a wash the engine heat should clear up water there the wind will do the rest :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I ever had a problem was when I parked the bike at the beach for a few days and had to spray the salt off daily. I had to use a pressure washer and even though I was careful I got water in some of the spark plug wells and it caused the bike to misfire until I pulled the boots off and let them dry in the sun for a day.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I ever had a problem was when I parked the bike at the beach for a few days and had to spray the salt off daily. I had to use a pressure washer and even though I was careful I got water in some of the spark plug wells and it caused the bike to misfire until I pulled the boots off and let them dry in the sun for a day.

wow i never experienced this. Was you up close and personal in the engine department with the pressure washer? Mine must be immune to water living in the UK lol prob already has a snorkel attached :BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ lol Snorkel.. .. ..

Avoid using a pressure washer!!!!! If you must us use one, stand way back, DO not point it at seals (wheel bearings), swing arm pivots, chain, fork seals, shock tube, ignition switch, etc.

If you use some form of degreaser, be sure to completely displace the mixture with water so it doesn't degrade the connection. Degreaser if left on electrical connection can set in motion corrosion of the connection. This will make the FZ very unhappy and likely lead to you walking.... not right away but some time in the future. The higher the voltage, the greater the probability - i.e. charging circuit connections from the stator, and the ignition coil wires....

I just use the fine spray from the garden hose and avoid having the key in the ignition when watering it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
wow i never experienced this. Was you up close and personal in the engine department with the pressure washer? Mine must be immune to water living in the UK lol prob already has a snorkel attached :BLAA:

Yea I was at a beach house and no hose handy so my only option was let the bike corrode from the salt spray or go down to the local self-wash carwash which only has pressure washers. I must have gotten it too close the end top of the engine and the jet of water rushed in and pushed up the boot dust cover enough to let water get into the well.

I will never park at a beach without a cover again and I will never pressure wash my bike again. :rolleyes:

BlurryEyed

Reaction score
Visit site

Funny, the Yamaha dealership in my area (Roseville, CA) uses a pressure washer on all the bikes they service.

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site

Yep.. thats my favorite part when washing my bike.. Ride it till is dry, then you stop and your shinny clean.. I do the same to my cars. Just go to a car wash and use the spot-free (filtered water) at the end.. Is the best way to clean wheels and brakes too. and no hosing the inside of the mufflers!! :thumbup:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I would try not to get too much water in the controls (turn signal switch, lock cylinder, kill switch, inst. cluster, ect.) I have washed mine before and had a turn signal light on the inst cluster stay on for a while afterward. My only explanation is water in the turn signal switch - and having an electronic flasher, it doesn't take much to complete a circuit.

Last edited:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Given that I don't have a hose at the house (or an outside faucet for one), I'd probably cover the seat...but then I'm me, and I'd probably forget to cover the seat. So, I guess I'd just have to soak it up & commit to a having conspicuous wet spot on my pants in public...but I digress.

Too much afternoon espresso for this guy. :spank: :spank:

Na, I'd think you should be good with a not-so-high-pressure hose. :D

------------------

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a pressure washer, but I'm curious, why is it bad to use for washing bikes? Causing damage to the paint?

Fizzer and Final mentioned this, but: it forces water into places you really don't want it. The bike is designed to withstand rain at speed, not thousands of psi.

...plus too much water attracts squids. :squid: jk

So for the OP: my opinion is that if you don't exceed what rain would do, and where it would go, you're fine.

If you're not taking it for a ride immediately afterward, a handy way to dry it is with a leaf blower, if you have one. It forces water out of all the little crevices, and gives a spot-free shine, sort of like riding but you can direct air at it in varying directions.

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of useful advice, thanks everybody.

I'll try to remember not to fill the exhaust with soapy water, although I was really looking forward to making all the little kids jealous with dual bubble streams shooting out my ass. Oh well...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NEVER USE A PRESSURE WASHER.....UNLESS YOU ARE USING PROTECTION:BLAA:
Full+Body+condom+costume.jpg