Speed Triple?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Rob:

Was going to ask this earlier but forgot...what do you use to clean the matte finish?

Sorry Bryan, forgot to write you back on this...

For cleaning, soap and water works great or really any high quality quick detailer. I personally use Meguires.

For waxing, you can't use your average carneuba car wax. You need something much thinner for matte paint. I've been using Turtle Ice Wax:
ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish - Turtle Wax
Goes on easy and looks great!

stagea

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering for those who have ridden one, I am thinking about getting a speed triple and want to know how it compares in terms of the handeling to the fz6??????

Cheers ben

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering for those who have ridden one, I am thinking about getting a speed triple and want to know how it compares in terms of the handeling to the fz6??????

Cheers ben

I've only ridden Speed Triple for about 10 miles, but based on my test ride I thought it easily handled as well as FZ6, if not better. That was without doing any suspension adjustments.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The suspension and frame are stiffer compared to the FZ6 and it tips into corners quickly. The factory suspension setting is hard, but I like it. Other riders on the Triumph forums find the factory setting too harsh and have softened it up...it's fully adjustable. I might get mine set up someday to see how it might improve things. For now I'm comfortable. :)

Handling is really nice though.

What year are you looking at...2011? The 2011 is redesigned so I can't comment on that year.

Last edited:

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
Goop I have found a mod for you

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5PjgCg7yc&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - ‪Triumph speed triple Racefit Exhaust LED HID headlight conversion‬‏[/ame]

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
As a +50 year old with four bikes and several guitars, one of the lessons learned is that it is wise to keep as many guitars and bikes as you can since as soon as you part with one or the other it becomes collectible or you become nostalgic; both cause chronic regret. I assume this wisdom can apply to whatever blows your skirt up.

stagea

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha..... I wish I could afford the 11 model anywhere from 06-09 just depends on the km and the condition. I know the 08 model was slightly upgraded etc. looked at a few but none were all that well maintained. Still havent ridden one though.

Everyone always talks about the torque from the speed but not so much about the handling.... so similar to the fz6 maybe a little more agile...... sounds good.

cheers mate

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
To the guys that have moved on to Speed/Street Triples.....Do you miss the FZ6's fairing?

No way. With my Street Triple I have finally gotten rid of that constant booming noise from the fairing\windscreen. Riding at 60-70mph is no big deal, much over that and things get a bit uncomfortable. The FZ6's suspension is much softer and that feels better on poor roads as compared to the Triumph. However, the engine quality and super light feel of the Street have won me over. This is the most fun bike I have ever ridden. On the other hand I am averaging 35mpg as opposed to 40-44mpg on the Yamaha.

Tim

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I love triumph. They make some great bikes. But make sure you check your dealer out. My dad had two, one was a lemon the other pretty good. But the dealer in Calgary sucks so bad I will never buy a triumph as an only bike as long as I live. Months of wrong diagnosis', not having parts and just plain waiting. My dad put more km's on my 250 ninja that year then he did his own triumph just because it spent 4 months in the shop.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't miss the fairing on my FZ at all, but then again I didn't think it provided that great of wind protection in the first place. I did find the wind on the stock Street Triple to be a bit much as most of it hits you in the chest, so I added to small OEM fly screen that makes the air hit you a lot higher in a more laminar fashion that is easier to predict. I've hit about 120mph on this bike and it's not any less comfortable to do so than on the FZ.

Ergonimonically, the Street is a bit more aggresive than the FZ, but so much so that it's uncomfortable for long rides.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I love triumph. They make some great bikes. But make sure you check your dealer out. My dad had two, one was a lemon the other pretty good. But the dealer in Calgary sucks so bad I will never buy a triumph as an only bike as long as I live. Months of wrong diagnosis', not having parts and just plain waiting. My dad put more km's on my 250 ninja that year then he did his own triumph just because it spent 4 months in the shop.

That is a concern, of course. OTOH, by all accounts the new Triumphs are pretty much bullet proof. My local Yamaha Dealer (Pacific Yamaha) has just recently acquired the Triumph brand as well. They've managed to "steal" some good staff from the other Triumph dealers in town, so I'd be confident moving to a Triumph from the same dealer that I purchased my FZ6 from.

Many motorcycle dealerships seem to be stuck in the 1970's as far as Customer Service is concerned...they really need to smarten up and catch up.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't miss the fairing on my FZ at all, but then again I didn't think it provided that great of wind protection in the first place. I did find the wind on the stock Street Triple to be a bit much as most of it hits you in the chest, so I added to small OEM fly screen that makes the air hit you a lot higher in a more laminar fashion that is easier to predict. I've hit about 120mph on this bike and it's not any less comfortable to do so than on the FZ.

I think the FZ6 fairing does keep a lot of wind blast off my chest, but (as you say) I don't think it does a great job of proper wind protection. I rode for a couple of hours into a very strong wind last summer on Hwy 20 in WA state and my neck was very, very tired and sore the next day. I often wonder if no fairing at all would have been better.

rsw81 said:
Ergonimonically, the Street is a bit more aggresive than the FZ, but so much so that it's uncomfortable for long rides.

I haven't ridden a Street, but I've sat and made vroom vroom noises on one many times in a showroom. :D There's no doubt that the seating position is a bit more aggressive, particularly the rearsets, which are quite a bit further back than an FZ6's. This places my knees on the very bottom of the sides of the gas tank (I'm 5'8). My upper body/arm position seems to be about the same as the FZ6, particularly since I swapped to the FZ6R bars.
The 'new' Street with the new-style headlamps looks alright...I could get used to it. I think the new-style headlamps makes the little flyscreen look more a part of the bike, btw, than the old round headlamps did. JMHO.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ridden a Street, but I've sat and made vroom vroom noises on one many times in a showroom. :D There's no doubt that the seating position is a bit more aggressive, particularly the rearsets, which are quite a bit further back than an FZ6's. This places my knees on the very bottom of the sides of the gas tank (I'm 5'8). My upper body/arm position seems to be about the same as the FZ6, particularly since I swapped to the FZ6R bars.
The 'new' Street with the new-style headlamps looks alright...I could get used to it. I think the new-style headlamps makes the little flyscreen look more a part of the bike, btw, than the old round headlamps did. JMHO.

With my FZ6 my left knee pressed on the frame and the wide feel sort of tweaked my knee as well. The Street Triple is much better, no knee aches at all. Most likely due to how narrow the triple is.

When I first saw a Speed Triple years ago I hated those bug-eye lights. Now, I see them as iconic and hate the new, slanty ones. I also like the ST3 without any flyscreen. Those look like goofy hats!

Tim