Speed cameras

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Was that a low-flying pig just went past?

Miss Villiers said: “Under Labour getting around has become a daily grind…A Conservative Government will focus on tackling the congestion that is costing the economy billions, and the resulting hassle that has made travelling in the UK so grim. We will empower road users with the information they need to understand and influence the decisions which affect their daily commute.”

Funniest thing I read all day. I almost cracked a cynical grin. Labour to blame for congestion? Well, why not.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We will empower road users with the information they need to understand and influence the decisions which affect their daily commute

Tell the public they're better off on bikes :D

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
So Mr Cameron wants to ditch speed cameras. On the surface it sounds like good news but I can't help thinking this man will promise anything to get a vote.

When I lobbied the Tory transport team a couple of years ago they were turning against speed cameras then but the problem is, as you say, it's seen more as a quick-win vote-winner rather than as part of a well thought-through transport strategy.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They have been saying this for a few years and Boris did get bikes in the bus lanes.

I don't think we can face another 5 years of Mr Brown fixing the world.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Now personally I don't like any of them, I really don't, if they came forward and said "Look this is what we want to do to make things better and we will do our up most best" I'd probably reconsider but they don't they are too concerned with slagging another party off and pointing out all the things that they have done wrong so that they look like the heroes of the day.

Give the Queen back the power! :p

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Given that the word democracy comes from ancient Greek, then maybe we should go back to the ancient Greek method of governing where all eligible people (men only in those days) would be called up to spend some time sitting in the parliament.
Throws out all the party politics.

Im voting for that one. :rockon:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Given that the word democracy comes from ancient Greek, then maybe we should go back to the ancient Greek method of governing where all eligible people (men only in those days) would be called up to spend some time sitting in the parliament.
Throws out all the party politics.

Im voting for that one. :rockon:

I think that would create weak laws, lowest common denominator and all that. I like our system, it is just that people think MPs, a bit like doctors, are some how immune from temptation.

Anyway down with speed cameras and umarked Police BMWs. :D

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that would create weak laws, lowest common denominator and all that. I like our system, it is just that people think MPs, a bit like doctors, are some how immune from temptation.

Anyway down with speed cameras and umarked Police BMWs. :D

Personally I don't have a problem with unmarked police cars. You can talk to the guys in them and unlike cameras, they can catch prople on the phone and all the other things that a camera can't.
Cameras can only punish those of us who actually register our cars.

This rant of course has nothing to do with me getting caught by a camera at Archway on Sunday and now sweating on whether they send me a NIP or not. :D