Southern CA FZ6-Forum members meet up

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to see all of you today, and great to ride with all of you. Here are the nicer pics that I took today.

Let's play an old game from our childhood using today's pictures: Which of the following is not like the other? Perhaps a wolf among sheep.

Thanks for the pics, looks like you guys had a good time. Wish I could have been there.

Would you mind giving a list of usernames for the pic with everyone in it so we know who is who?

S

sportrider

WTG!!! glad you made it home safely!!! I logged 314 miles today you beat me by more than double!!!!:thumbup:

now we just need to hear from Calirider

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw you guys! I went on a ride to Palomar with 2 buddies (R6, full leather red suit) and (red R6S). We crossed you guys! I waived to all you guys :D Dunno if you noticed me tho. I saw there was the new Red R1 in the back of the group. I think it was around 4pm. near the I-15

sasper

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep! That was definitely us Avalon.

Thanks for the great ride everyone. I had an amazing time. It may have been hot but the twisties made up for it.

Special thanks to rsw81 for the help on the headlight mod, the dip in the pool and the pizza last night!

rsw81 and I were talking about organizing a PCH ride. We'll be posting in the forum when we've got some possible dates and an itinerary. Look for it!

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics, looks like you guys had a good time. Wish I could have been there.

Would you mind giving a list of usernames for the pic with everyone in it so we know who is who?

5552d1215918465-southern-ca-fz6-forum-members-meet-up-img_3804.jpg

In order, left to right:

rsw81-sportrider-cali rider-nimzotech-vegasrider-Jon (not a forum member)-sasper-poorwboy

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright! That was a fun and safe ride in to the twisites. Vegasrider deserves lots of props for riding out of Vegas, doing the twisties, and then finally riding back to Nevada. Great stamina there and dedication :rockon:

I have around 7,000 miles of bike experience under my belt, and was amazed how you all nicely cut through the sharp turns and curves. Vegas mentioned that it was important to stay in the right gear (right powerband around 3rd gear) during the turns. Having said that, I simply was not able to keep up with you guys through the turns; 30MPH in the twisties was probably my comfort level. I had no proper leaning technique through the turns. I guess I have not learned to fully "trust the bike" during the leans. Do you guys have any tips as to how I can properly and safely engage in leaning my bike?

Cheers.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright! That was a fun and safe ride in to the twisites. Vegasrider deserves lots of props for riding out of Vegas, doing the twisties, and then finally riding back to Nevada. Great stamina there and dedication :rockon:

I have around 7,000 miles of bike experience under my belt, and was amazed how you all nicely cut through the sharp turns and curves. Vegas mentioned that it was important to stay in the right gear (right powerband around 3rd gear) during the turns. Having said that, I simply was not able to keep up with you guys through the turns; 30MPH in the twisties was probably my comfort level. I had no proper leaning technique through the turns. I guess I have not learned to fully "trust the bike" during the leans. Do you guys have any tips as to how I can properly and safely engage in leaning my bike?

Cheers.

There are tons of books out there on leaning technique and throttle control, definitely worth a read if you're the academic type. I'll try to find the titles of the books later for you. As for real life practice, there is no better way to learn than to simply follow someone else's lead who will take it a bit slower to teach you. That's how I learned, and that's how my brother learned. If you want a teacher, feel free to PM me and we'll make a Big Bear run for practice and talk about techniques before/after and what to work on.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Total Control by Parks is a book I read regularly.
there's also Twist Of The Wrist.

its a world difference from city riding...i recommend you join us when we go to Azusa or Ortega from the other forum...i'm slow too but I'm working on it.

S

sportrider

I'm going to start a thread for more experianced riders to help out riders on real rides, it will be on a voulenteer basis only, I'm capable of teaching the basics but I know there are riders that are much faster then me that I wouldn't mind learning a think or two from.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are tons of books out there on leaning technique and throttle control, definitely worth a read if you're the academic type. I'll try to find the titles of the books later for you. As for real life practice, there is no better way to learn than to simply follow someone else's lead who will take it a bit slower to teach you. That's how I learned, and that's how my brother learned. If you want a teacher, feel free to PM me and we'll make a Big Bear run for practice and talk about techniques before/after and what to work on.

Yeay! I'll take you up on that offer :rolleyes:

its a world difference from city riding...i recommend you join us when we go to Azusa or Ortega from the other forum...i'm slow too but I'm working on it.
I'll join you to learn leaning technique.

I'm going to start a thread for more experianced riders to help out riders on real rides, it will be on a voulenteer basis only, I'm capable of teaching the basics but I know there are riders that are much faster then me that I wouldn't mind learning a think or two from.

Cool, I don't mind going slower yet still leaning. I think speed will come with practice. I'm down to learn the proper approach to leaning first and then once the technique is there, I'll work on the speed.

Cheers.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Sean and Vince are pretty good about helping...and they're the guys who are super-fast. They're down to Earth, wont get any BS from them, and to the point. What the books and people teach goes hand in hand with comfort with the bike...gotta put in time on the twists.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers.
I learned by following my buddy in his R6. We did a few runs at different speeds in the twisties in Ortega, Azusa, Palomar...I pushed more and more. At first i didnt trust my bike, after one month of riding every weekend i now can lean the bike all the way going around 75mph in the twisties (~60mph in the real tight curves) The foot pegs touched a little for the first time in Palomar, theres some crazy twisties going up to the observatory...But the FZ6 is really a great bike for attacking the twisties, i stay either in 2nd or 3rd gear and this helps alot! Best i would say is go out and get more comfortable, and very slowly go faster and faster and in the end you'll figure out what works best for you. Most of all it has to stay fun! You have nothing to prove to anyone and theres no point riding over your abilities. But if such is your desire the FZ6 is a beast in the twisties, not to be underestimated, i love being the "sleeper" bike, with my luggage rack, an R1 laughed at my FZ6 and talked smack until i passed him in the twistes ;) (mind you its not the bike its the rider and he was just a big talker :D sure shut him up tho) You need immense skill to throw around a 1000cc, its even sometimes overkill, in the twisties a 600cc is pretty much perfect ;)

S

sportrider

maybe me and Janette will be up for the big bear run if I can get some tires on her bike soon

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

These are the two I was thinking of.... Thanks PCH!