Some recent mods

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
A few recent mods that I thought I'd share.

First up, LCD recolor.

It has a little yellowish tint near the bottom. More than likely sun fading of the plastic and why Yamaha went with the amber color from the start; they knew the plastic would yellow.

Test with a donor board for fit and function of the replacement LEDs:
Photo :: IMG 0660
Photo :: IMG 0661
Photo :: IMG 0657

Painted the front windscreen, radiator guards, and got fame caps.
Not totally satisfied with how the windscreen turned out, so when it isn't 95F at 8am I might take it off and give it a nice sanding and recoat.
Radiator guards and frame caps more visible from the side (and no, I still haven't put the inner fairing panels back in):

Not apparent from this last picture, but the rear huger is painted as well. It was fading and turning white from being outside all the time (she's my daily ride = 8 hour sits in open parking lots). Used it as my guinnie pig to get used to the clean/sand/clean/paint/sand/clean/paint procedure, so its just kylon flat black, and so is the windscreen.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin good, man. I like the LED recolor every time I see it on here. I'm curious tho, how does the white work at night? Any noticeable increase in eye strain?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job! I'd be scared to death to take the speedo apart like that so I respect anyone who isn't...lol.

I'm interested in the frame caps. Did you go the route of using some sort of rubber plug-type thing? Where did you find them? Any advice of where to look?

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
How difficult is it to change out those LEDs? I'd love to have a purple background!

I may end up needing to repaint my rear hugger/chainguard one day, too. Mine suffers from the same discoloring issue yours does.

If you respray the windscreen, just paint the inside. It looks a lot better and is way less prone to chipping/flaking, etc.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Nice job! I'd be scared to death to take the speedo apart like that so I respect anyone who isn't...lol.
Very easy to take apart, just a couple of screws. Its soldering the LEDs that's the fun part.

I'm interested in the frame caps. Did you go the route of using some sort of rubber plug-type thing? Where did you find them? Any advice of where to look?
Local vendor here has them. He had to mix/match from other kits and they don't quite fit right, but for $15 i think I paid for them, they look better now than without them. The guy owns a local plastic fab plant, if theres enough interest he's willing to make the custom molds for our bikes.

Lookin good, man. I like the LED recolor every time I see it on here. I'm curious tho, how does the white work at night? Any noticeable increase in eye strain?
Eye strain? Not sure what you mean. Its way easier to read now at a glance IMO.

How difficult is it to change out those LEDs? I'd love to have a purple background!
Quite easy if you've done SMD soldering before. The layout of the components makes it had to hold the LED in place while you solder. I'd use a nice small dab of superglue, let it dry/harden, then quickly tack the LED down.

If you respray the windscreen, just paint the inside. It looks a lot better and is way less prone to chipping/flaking, etc.
Not with Krylon, properly done it chemically adheres to the plastic and wont chip or flake. Only downside is that it shows dirt and road grime very well now.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not with Krylon, properly done it chemically adheres to the plastic and wont chip or flake. Only downside is that it shows dirt and road grime very well now.
As was stated, painting the inside is sooo much easier, one quick spray of krylon and your done, and having the plastic on the outside gives it a super gloss finish

Looks good... im down for some plugs!

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Eye strain? Not sure what you mean. Its way easier to read now at a glance IMO.

For me white backgrounds can cause eye fatigue faster than others. Until work dried up, I was drawing house plans using Revit working for my father. You can set your screen color to white (default) or black. Drawing on the white screen gave me fits with maintaining my focus (eyes) and gave me a headache after several hours. So I set it to black.

Maybe it's just me :spank: