Busy weekend, Hugger shortened plus half a dozen other jobs + pics

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been meaning to attack the bike for a few weeks now, so once the decent weather returns, I can actually ride it! MOT booked for Monday so a couple of jobs to sort for that... Safe to say I am now knackered!

The list goes...

1 - Shortened rear hugger, primed, painted and lacquered - I managed to remove quite a bit of plastic to get more of the wheel in view, the structure is still very sturdy, I think I could have removed a bit more if required.
2 - Mirror stalks - took back to the aluminum, primed, painted and lacquered. I painted these with black gloss then used a rattle can lacquer to give a semi opaque finish.
3 - Replaced airbox with a standard unit as the rasp from the drilled box eventually did my nut in.
4 - Inserted a waterproof fuse holder for the 2nd low beam (for the MOT)
5 - Fitted the proper number plate (for the MOT)
6 - Removed decals from the side pods
7 - Removed the top 2 pieces of the tank pad as it was starting to look a bit worn, a bit astonished to see 'S2' actually in the tanks paint job!
8 - Primed & Painted radiator ends.

Next job will be to remove the rear reflector, cut down the number plate holder and refit another reflector somewhere legal and more subtle. Remove and repaint the centre stand, unsure whether to refit. Spray the heel guards and heavily lacquer (or replace with a carbon item). Watch this space.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work...

Evotech performance does a nice reflector that bolts on the plate or plate holder, it's cheap and they are in the UK:

DSC_3894_zps79590b01.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job on the bike!
What color paint is that? It looks like a custom color or maybe it's just the pic.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys....

Joe, it's just a cheapo gloss black - I normally buy half decent tins but the local motor factors only had this. The mirrors took about 4 coats to get even, the hugger was more like 8! you can defo see the quality difference in coverage over decent stuff. The lacquer sprayed gives it a dull finish. I was well chuffed with the mirror lacquer, flawless finish! I think it's a balance of not too much or too little to get that perfect end result.

Carlos, that's exactly what I was looking for, though I'm thinking of bolting at either side of the plate ideally to improve rear tyre view'age ;)

This was my inspiration for the hugger after viewing loads of examples. I can't remember which forum member it was off here.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers Cloggy :thumbup:

I've changed the settings to 'private' so hopefully that'll let you see via the link but not the entire album :D

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just a thought: I used a red reflective adhesive strip and surrounded the original plate lamp when I replaced my FE, I'll see if theres a pic somewhere

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a good idea AGF - I'll quiz the MOT people today on whether that'd pass as a reflector.

Just spotted your grab handles too, they defo look better in matt or satin black! Mine are gloss and luckily half covered by the top box mount.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Update - MOT passed.

AGF - I had clarification too, the reflective strip is legal in place of a normal reflector, thanks fella :thumbup: