So... my oil level light is on

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Yaaayyyyy, there's finally some light at the end of this miserable winter. Nice 10C (50F) day here, left work early to play with my bike for the first time since November. Fired right up with a little bump start (too lazy to charge the battery over the winter...) Hopped on and took it for a spin around the block. 50 meters in, look down and the oil light is on. Insert curse word of choice... Shut it off, check oil level, level is ok. Started back up, light is on. Started again, light is on. Hmmmmmm...

According to the service manual it's just an oil level switch and not pressure, that's a big phew. So next guess is it's either blocked or malfunctioning. Doesn't look to be a big deal to change it, and used sensors are $20-30 on eBay, just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Sensor appears to be a generic Yamaha part for the R6 and probably some other bikes. Anyone seen this before on a Yamaha?

Will probably order one anyways and change it with my oil change in a week or two.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't happen often. But yes your right, its an oil level only switch.

You may want to check the connector (should be near the switch per the parts fisch). Disconnecting or tieing them together should put the light out...

Perhaps the switch (I'm guessing its a float switch) may have gotten stuck.

Please post what your final fix is, good luck..

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode last year in freezing temps (mid 20sF) and if my bike wasn't warmed up before I took off, my light came on on 2 different occasions but few minutes down the road it when off. I blamed it on the freezing temp and oil not warmed up since I have never had oil issues before this or after it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine come on once after an oil change and realized I had only put in 2.7 quarts instead of 3. It is that sensitive, just 10% low on oil apparently sets it off.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode last year in freezing temps (mid 20sF) and if my bike wasn't warmed up before I took off, my light came on on 2 different occasions but few minutes down the road it when off. I blamed it on the freezing temp and oil not warmed up since I have never had oil issues before this or after it.

Good info - speculation says the oil was so thick it wasn't returning to the sump to maintain the float at an acceptable level.

Curious - what weight and brand of oil is in the bike?

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
So went for my second ride of the season today. Saw the oil light a couple times in the first few minutes and nothing after that. Did about 200km and the temp was 5c, oil is 5W40 Rotella T6 at about one third up the hatched area of the dipstick.

I guess this is just a cold weather anomaly.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So went for my second ride of the season today. Saw the oil light a couple times in the first few minutes and nothing after that. Did about 200km and the temp was 5c, oil is 5W40 Rotella T6 at about one third up the hatched area of the dipstick.

I guess this is just a cold weather anomaly.
Hmm that's odd, I've ridden in high 30s and low 40s (~3C-6C) and never have had this issue with my last grade of oil...though I'm not sure which grade the original owner used, but I'm guessing they probably used 10W-30 or 10W-40...but I never had that issue. I'm running 0W-40 now and still am ok but maybe I'll try for even colder just to try (though it maybe apples to oranges since we have different cold weights)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm that's odd, I've ridden in high 30s and low 40s (~3C-6C) and never have had this issue with my last grade of oil...though I'm not sure which grade the original owner used, but I'm guessing they probably used 10W-30 or 10W-40...but I never had that issue. I'm running 0W-40 now and still am ok but maybe I'll try for even colder just to try (though it maybe apples to oranges since we have different cold weights)

Made me look at the owners manual, they stop at 10wt on the bottom @ -10C. I would be hesitant to drop below 5wt unless the temps really dictate thats a need.

Although I personally can't imagine riding at -10C, do let it warm up a good period. i.e. oil temp will lag behind the water temp unless the engine has clearance issues.
Be Safe!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
do let it warm up a good period. i.e. oil temp will lag behind the water temp unless the engine has clearance issues.
Be Safe!

+1 on the above^^^^

Your water temp may show normal but the oil temp takes a bit longer to catch up. Just feel the aluminum engine case (not the cylinders where warm water flows) in cold weather and you'll see how much cooler the block (and oil) is.

Something not mentioned, if the bikes parked in the garage, (even not heated), should still be slightly warmer than a bike parked outside, (wind blowing, wind chill, snow, etc) and will take even longer to warm up the oil.

In the temps mentioned above, IMO, I'd wait untill the cold start high idle lowers before moving and even after that slowly warm up the bike by keeping the RPM's low (say 4K) if possible for several miles before much higher RPM's..

Note: A touch of the clutch cover with your right leg, (while stopped/riding) will give you an idea how warm the engine (and oil) is. Cold vs hot is very obvious doing this and you won't get burned..

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes after I make a quick, jerky low-speed high lean angle turn shortly after turning on the bike, the oil level light will flash on for a couple of seconds and then go off - not at all related - just wanted to share.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Made me look at the owners manual, they stop at 10wt on the bottom @ -10C. I would be hesitant to drop below 5wt unless the temps really dictate thats a need.

Although I personally can't imagine riding at -10C, do let it warm up a good period. i.e. oil temp will lag behind the water temp unless the engine has clearance issues.
Be Safe!
Oh yeah, if I ever did riding that cold, I'd probably have a heater installed haha (and heated gear, which I have none)

Feels great today though :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All Good info - ^^ - Do any of these bikes consume oil between changes? Me, no.

FWIW: mine lights only during pre-start conditions! - I've never seen it ON otherwise and its been through the corners on its side at 13k. Not that I was studying the gauge, but if it had a notion to come on, I suspect that would be it! Also, it never gets pinned until its been up to temp for at least 10+ minutes which can take some time even at 50°F ambient temps.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
All Good info - ^^ - Do any of these bikes consume oil between changes? Me, no.

FWIW: mine lights only during pre-start conditions! - I've never seen it ON otherwise and its been through the corners on its side at 13k. Not that I was studying the gauge, but if it had a notion to come on, I suspect that would be it! Also, it never gets pinned until its been up to temp for at least 10+ minutes which can take some time even at 50°F ambient temps.

Going through corners at speed with a lean should be okay - centrifugal(centripetal?) force will act like gravity keeping it where it's supposed to be. I imagine my oil was close to low, combined with something more like a swerve/dodge than a smooth well executed turn. Blah