So I got the chance to ride a R6 today...

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
...and all I can say is...I'M STICKING WITH MY FZ6!!!

Don't get me wrong, the R6 is one sweet ride. The power is amazing and the throttle is so smooth and quick. But, DAMN...the ergos SUCK. Sure, I'm used to my FZ6 and I didn't expect it to be nearly as comfortable, but my god. How the hell do people ride those things for more than 30 minutes??? I felt like I was standing on my hands...the pressure on my wrists was unbelievable. I tried gripping the tank tighter, but still, all your weight is on your hands.

Then there's the leg position. You have to basically lay on the tank (at least I did) to get your foot in a position to fit under the shift lever.

I'd been thinking about eventually moving over to a SS bike when my time on the FZ was through. Now I'm convinced I'm going to keep the FZ6 forever...or if I do move up, go with the FZ1.

To anyone that rides a SS daily or for more than 30 minutes at a time...you've got my respect...lol.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean I rode my buddys r6 and trying to get my leg in position to shift and what not was very much different. (sucked kinda)
I will stick the the fz riding position

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
They are nice bikes and they had a 06 red one at the dealer that I considered but after sitting on it and saying this just isn't me. Everything you described before is why I just don't care for them. I like the more sport tourer riding position and the FZ's will do most anything you ask. I'm glad to see someone is not just about the speed comfort and fun matter too:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:D I felt the same way as you did. I road it for 1/2 mile and my hip joints were KILLING me. I guess if I was 20 years younger and flexible again.... The FZ series suits me well. I can also never own a true ss bike.

Getting old sucks...

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree that long rides on SS's are a pain. Until about a year ago I was one of those guys who did long ass trips on an R6. My knees always hurt me the most after long rides. When I'd get off I'd look an old man for the first few minutes of walking around. That was even with stretching my legs occationally while riding. Nothing like that on the FZ so far.:D

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had my CBRs, an hour ride (or more) was an endurance test for me. I basically had to work on (i.e., build up strength in) certain muscles to get comfortable (also did a lot of situps/crunches). Also, one thing that helped a lot was a tank bag -- so I could lean on it and take pressure off of my back and core.

I think it sucks to be low like that but I think being that low gave me confidence in cornering. On the FZ6, I rotated the bars forward a bit to get that CBR feel back -- but the difference on the FZ6 is that if I want to sit up, I can. I'm to the point where I'm ready to rotate the bars back a little so I can sit up more.

Dennis

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I felt the exact same way when I tried sitting on/riding any of the ss bikes. Great power, smooth, flick able, completely uncomfortable.

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

FZ1inNH, getting old DOES suck! BTW, did I mention I'll be 35 next week? :D

In no way did I mean to sound like I was bashing the R6 or any other SS bike. I love the looks of them and you should see the one I got to ride...it's the matte black '07 version...god, it's beautiful! But damn...there's just no way I could ride that thing as my only bike.

I was VERY impressed with the throttle response and how smooth it was. Airhead put it perfectly..."great power, smooth, flickable...and completely uncomfortable". LOL...EXACTLY. :thumbup:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ridden the R6 at all, have always loved the way they look, but in my increasing age, I guess I'll be an FZ owner for a long time. Will just upgrade to the 1 when this one gets too old.

:rockon:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
having spent time on superbike's I can shed a little light on how you ride them for more than 10 minutes with out being in pain. I have always found that the key is griping the tank with your legs and take the weight of your arms that is a big thing. And something else is the bike has to be right for you I find that the R6 is a little better for short guys. I know the ergo's on 1098/1198's is very good I can spend hours on one and not be unhappy

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my sister's bf's R6 before I got my FZ. At the time my street experience was 3 yrs on a Bandit 400. So, it goes without saying the R6 was a little bit intimidating. Add to that I was wearing his gear which was a bit snug in the gloves and hat...so I wasn't very comfy. I had a blast tho. He's looking to get a Speed Triple. If I had the money, I'd so buy his R6 :)

3869780060_3649a7429d.jpg

Last edited:

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of being uncomfortable, has anyone on here gone from the FZ6 to an R1? I'm thinking about it, but I'm also thinking about the uncomfortableness (is that a word?) of the R1. If you have made the switch, do you regret it?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One day some of my friends and I were congregated at the local pub and it became a "try each others" session. Nothing hectic, just round a loop of a couple of kilometres. I tried an R1, ZX-12, Blackbird and SV-1000 and that riding position is just not for me.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, ha, Clay...yeah, that would do the trick, wouldn't it???

It really broke my heart, too, because I'd mentioned to Dawn that if Anthony ever decided to sell it (since he got the Sprint ST), I might have to think about it. I never dreamed it would have been THAT uncomfortable!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've noticed that, maybe over 50% of the time, SS riders, while on the highway/freeway, seem to be riding with only one hand on the throttle and sitting somewhat upright. Has anyone notice this riding position of SS riders? I would say that, maybe, half the time, they are riding with only one hand on the bar. Personally, I would love if, someday, bike Yamaha--or any manufacturer,l could have adjustable seat ergos...something like a tilt steering wheel on a cage. For high speed runs or cornering sessions, I would like ss ergos. Wouldn't it be nice?

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've noticed that, maybe over 50% of the time, SS riders, while on the highway/freeway, seem to be riding with only one hand on the throttle and sitting somewhat upright. Has anyone notice this riding position of SS riders? I would say that, maybe, half the time, they are riding with only one hand on the bar. Personally, I would love if, someday, bike Yamaha--or any manufacturer,l could have adjustable seat ergos...something like a tilt steering wheel on a cage. For high speed runs or cornering sessions, I would like ss ergos. Wouldn't it be nice?

And, if they do have both hands on the bars their arms are locked straight. Not the best position for subtle control of the bike.

Tim