So I fell today

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
On my way out of work, on the nicely repaved asphalt skating rink, I lost it at 5mph. The parking lot was a bit wet after an unexpected lake effect shower. I was going to make a turn and the next thing I know I was on the ground watching my bike side away from me. Im ok, but my pride took a beating.
The bike:
2008 FZ6 in blue
All the damage is on the left side

Cracked Fairing
Scrapped Mirror
Scrapped Cover over headlight
Scrapped Painted thing in the rear (idk what the name is of it)
Scrapped engine cover (right where the crank is, that cover)

If anyone has any of these parts or any idea where I could get them that would be great! I have only owned this bike for 2 months and before today it never saw the ground. If anything I wish I did this to my old bike which was a beater in its own right.
Thanks and safe riding!

IMG_3565 (2).jpg

IMG_3566 (3).jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did almost the exact same thing backing up slow (0 MPH tip over) and lost my footing. Tip over on the left side. rotor cover scuffed, left mirror scratched, left "POD" was fine, and the outer cover to the fairing nicked.

I bought all the parts new from Partzilla (not the "POD") and it was about $220. They are about the cheapest (I checked) for new and free shipping for all the parts.

I did the labor. Others have painted the rotor cover. I sold the old mirror, paid for half the new one (the old cover is in the F/S section).

If you replace the rotor cover yourself, you need the gasket, a heat gun to break the loctite loose on the stator winding screws(they ARE TIGHT), some torx tools and loctite...

2008 FZ6 - FZS6XCB Yamaha Motorcycle Parts

$hit happens.... I'm more careful backing now!

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, new tarmac is always greasy. There's a nice little S bend in the middle of my winter commute. That was ruined for about four months by new tarmac. Had to wait ages for enough traffic to go through and grip it up again like it used to be.

Hope the bike is an easy fix mate.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just the outer "lid" on mine was scruffed (goes around the headlight) and that wasn't cheap either...The main fairing was fine.

Kinda expensive lesson for me(frigging dumb).....

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it's the bike and not you that needs fixing up:) Give Ebay a try, maybe have a piece or two of what you are looking for.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK. Replace those things that might haunt you but remember that every bike gets its own character eventually. To be fair I replaced the rotor cover after a new-rear-tire thing at the end of my driveway 2 years ago, so I know how you feel. But as Scott mentioned, I am REALLY easy on a new, un-scuffed rubber now. ☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding in Long Island in December? That's good...going down on the wet stuff...that's bad. Gravity sucks hard at 5 mph but at least you came out unscathed. Good luck with the repairs.

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
With this warm winter I haven't taken the bike off the road yet (maybe this is someone telling me I should). I located all the parts for 250 off of partzilla. I found a cheapo aftermarket stator cover for 40 on ebay, but I think I'm just gonna spend the 80 and get the OEM.
New issue I discovered today while riding to work. Something in the front end is bent. I think the fairing might be tilted to the side, but it also seems like something in the steering may be off. I hope its just the fairing throwing off my line of sight.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With this warm winter I haven't taken the bike off the road yet (maybe this is someone telling me I should). I located all the parts for 250 off of partzilla. I found a cheapo aftermarket stator cover for 40 on ebay, but I think I'm just gonna spend the 80 and get the OEM.
New issue I discovered today while riding to work. Something in the front end is bent. I think the fairing might be tilted to the side, but it also seems like something in the steering may be off. I hope its just the fairing throwing off my line of sight.

Unfortunately, I believe you bent the main stay. Mine was bent from the previous owners, several crashes.

If you sit on the bike, on the centerstand and look dead forward, you'll likely see the entire fairing crooked. Mine was cooked ONLY by about 3/4" but it was very annoying.

Its not hard to swap out and its about impossible to straighten (and I'm really good with metal working/welding, etc).

If yours is crooked, replace it(if it bugs you). Part # 14:
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2008 FZ6 - FZS6XCB COWLING 1 Diagram

This is my ONLY motorcycle, so I try to keep it keep it cherry.

And don't get a knock of stator cover.

Your better off painting yours if you don't go new OEM. Here's a thread re painting and they look very good:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...992-paint-black-frame-engine-color-match.html

Here's my old stator cover, just scruffed, needs paint, no other damage:

Here's my bike with the nose after(getting replacement parts and fairing stay(you can still see it attached):

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
My fairing is cracked in the exact same spot above the "mole". Take the mole off, and drill a 1/8" hole in the end of the crack to keep it from spreading. The hole will be covered by the mole and the crack wont be that visible - I forget that mine is even cracked.

Sand/paint the stator cover, and sand/paint the mole - there's how-to's for both on here. You could probably get by with doing that with the mirror too. The rear plastic panel piece, keep checking on here and ebay to replace that when you find a good deal.

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
So I ordered a new side panel off partzilla. As for the mole, I will be repairing that myself over the weekend. The side cover got way too many gouges so I ordered a new one and while its on the way I'm going to attempt to repair the old one. Thank you MattR302 for the information, I'm going to drill that hole as soon as possible. I gotta take a look at the fairing stay, I'm worried its bent.
The mirrors I'll take a better look at over the weekend. I found one on ebay for 30 bucks.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to tear it apart this weekend. The headlight mole is damaged, but you cant tell from the top view. Its from the side you can see the damage. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I would just spray flat black on the cover. I think I'm one of the few (or only?) to actually straighten out the fairing stay. But, that was at a cost: I injured my shoulder/arm (okay after months) in pulling/straightening it back----and that was using hot MAP flame heating operation beforehand to help

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I would just spray flat black on the cover. I think I'm one of the few (or only?) to actually straighten out the fairing stay. But, that was at a cost: I injured my shoulder/arm (okay after months) in pulling/straightening it back----and that was using hot MAP flame heating operation beforehand to help

I'm surprised you were able to get it straight.

It bends so easily when you drop it, but to straighten it, shessh... You paid for it with your injuries, :(

This is apparently the closest color to stock W/O dropping $35 for OEM Colorite: VHTSP405 black pearl

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...992-paint-black-frame-engine-color-match.html