Small oil leak

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Just noticed that my bike has developed a small oil leak, just a few drops coming out of the following hole. It's kinda to the left of the sump plug.

IMG_1272_zps2880168e.jpg

What is this hole and how do I fix it?

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the head of the bolt snapped off just above the base of the allen key slot. The edges look rough, outside surface is shiny and not same color as surrounding metal. The picture shows what it looks like on my 05 fz. I'm not sure what's behind the bolt but I think replacing is on order.

I would do some research to find out what is behind the bolt or what it holds in, then try to see if there is enough material there to remove with the correct allen key, otherwise you might be in for drilliing (left handed drill) and use an ez-out. This may be trickey depending on what's behind the bolt and how it leads to the oil system.

I personally would not try the repair unless you are mechanically inclined and KNOW what you are getting yourself into. Mechanics hate it if you have to bring them something you already damaged further.

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From the crankcase diagram, looks to be a plug with an o-ring. Part # 25 and 26 in the diagram.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6T) Crankcase | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House

This plug is also the location specified for measuring oil pressure so it has full engine oil pressure while the bike is running. I would fix this BEFORE riding the bike. If the plug falls out the engine will push all the oil out the hole in a few seconds to a minute = BAD!

good luck.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to tell from the picture, did it snap about flush with the crankcase surface, or is it recessed some?

My guess is similarly that it snapped the head off, roughly flush, and you've got no O-ring to seal it and probably no torque on the plug. If so, you should also have most of the depth of the hex to work with, and it should come out easy. New plug, new O-ring, a dab of blue threadlock and good as new if that's the case.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the crankcase diagram, looks to be a plug with an o-ring. Part # 25 and 26 in the diagram.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6T) Crankcase | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House

This plug is also the location specified for measuring oil pressure so it has full engine oil pressure while the bike is running. I would fix this BEFORE riding the bike. If the plug falls out the engine will push all the oil out the hole in a few seconds to a minute = BAD!

good luck.

+1 on the above! (it is for checking the oil pressure, page 3-14, 2007 Yamaha shop manual)

It is not a recessed bolt but should be an allan head bolt that someone overtightened and broke the head off. The head of the bolt and washer should be in contact with that machined surface. .

**In your picture, it looks like whoever broke it, put an allen head STUD in the hole (you can see the 6 points inside) to replace the damaged bolt. You'll likely be able to get the correct allan head wrench in there and just spin it out(Counter clockwise).

Should that fail, with the head gone, it should come out pretty easy after drilling a small hole in the bolt and using an "East out". You likely won't have to drill a little over 1/4" deep and insert the EO

Good luck...

BTW, thats a first that I've seen here, someone snapping that bolt off..... :)

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above! (it is for checking the oil pressure, page 3-14, 2007 Yamaha shop manual)

It is not a recessed bolt but should be an allan head bolt that someone overtightened and broke the head off. The head of the bolt and washer should be in contact with that machined surface. .

**In your picture, it looks like whoever broke it, put an allen head STUD in the hole (you can see the 6 points inside) to replace the damaged bolt. You'll likely be able to get the correct allan head wrench in there and just spin it out(Counter clockwise).

Should that fail, with the head gone, it should come out pretty easy after drilling a small hole in the bolt and using an "East out". You likely won't have to drill a little over 1/4" deep and insert the EO

Good luck...

BTW, thats a first that I've seen here, someone snapping that bolt off..... :)

Looks to me like the stock bolt/plug, but with the whole head (full depth of the shoulder) sheared off? I'm guessing there's next to no tension on it now, since the head and the O-ring should be what was doing the last little bit of sealing (whatever got past the threads)... so hopefully even if there's just a tiny bit of that hex left in there for a hex bit to grab, it *should* come out pretty easy.

Definitely a new one, I don't think I've seen a snapped oil gallery plug on anything before.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks to me like the stock bolt/plug, but with the whole head (full depth of the shoulder) sheared off? I'm guessing there's next to no tension on it now, since the head and the O-ring should be what was doing the last little bit of sealing (whatever got past the threads)... so hopefully even if there's just a tiny bit of that hex left in there for a hex bit to grab, it *should* come out pretty easy.

Definitely a new one, I don't think I've seen a snapped oil gallery plug on anything before.

The original bolt and washer are GONE (broke, lost, ? ).

You can see whats in the block now is a replacement allen head threaded stud. You can actually see the 6 points of that replacement bolt.

Its either just threaded in, maybe some pipe thread tape (not likly as its still leaking). The bolt thats NOW there is just threaded in with an allan key and will come out with just an allen key.

The original bolt/washer is similar to your drain plug (with a flat sealing surface) but with an allen head screw so folks don't screw with it.

Its possible the PO/mechanic pulled the bolt for whatever reason (thinking its an oil drain bolt, who know's).

Very easy fix..

philz

Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the one! Now that I have the part numbers I can pop down to my Yamaha dealer and pick up the parts.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to get an oil pan to catch the oil when it pours out too.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

Its after the oil pump so its very unlikely it will be free flowing poring out. But a catch pan can hurt.

We are all hoping you can seat the proper Allen Wrench in and just back it out. Once done, use a q-tip and some grease to remove any metal fragments.

Good luck!

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
All sorted now. Fortunately the old plug came out easy enough so only took a few minutes to replace.