Side stand cut out

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
My side stand cut out switch has been inoperative since I got my FZ6 last July. Assuming it has been overridden and is not broken how would I reinstate it? i.e. undo the override

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The 2 wires that go to the side stand switch are blue with a green tracer and a black.
I don't know the the state of the switch when the stand is up or down. In others words, if the stand is down is the switch a normally closed (NC) or is it normally open (NO). There may be a jumper wire place across the wires going to the switch or the wires/plug have been removed to create an open circuit.

Inspect the wires at the switch to see if you can establish that the modification has been done at that location. If the mod has been done elsewhere we'll talk about what and where we might find it bypassed. :)

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2 wires that go to the side stand switch are blue with a green tracer and a black.
I don't know the the state of the switch when the stand is up or down. In others words, if the stand is down is the switch a normally closed (NC) or is it normally open (NO). There may be a jumper wire place across the wires going to the switch or the wires/plug have been removed to create an open circuit.

Inspect the wires at the switch to see if you can establish that the modification has been done at that location. If the mod has been done elsewhere we'll talk about what and where we might find it bypassed. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll open the switch up and report my findings

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you may have mis-read Cliffs post(or I did), its likely NOT in the switch, its usually bypassed further upwards from the switch, the two wires Cliff mentioned. Its either unplugged on tied together.

Simply following the wires upwards from the switch, you should find something unplugged or modified (tied together). :thumbup:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Scott said probably not in the switch but instead check the wire at the switch. If there is no wire attached to the switch you may find it removed, taped and hidden some where near the switch.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the switch works by shortening the wires and shutting down the engine. Makes more sense for me - imagine losing connection while on a highway ride and stopping the engine at 130kph :eek:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Well chaps, I investigated as suggested and found the cable had been cut under the seat just before the connector with the ends shorted together. Result! Just got to fix it now lol Thanks for your advice

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the switch works by shortening the wires and shutting down the engine. Makes more sense for me - imagine losing connection while on a highway ride and stopping the engine at 130kph :eek:

IIRC it actually is closed with the stand up, and open with it down... meaning if you unplug it the bike will die when you put it in gear.

It doesn't work like a lawnmower kill switch, it's not shorting and directly killing the engine. The clutch switch, neutral switch and sidestand switch all feed into the safety relay. That's what allows you to start in gear with the stand up & clutch in, idle in neutral with the stand down & clutch out, etc.

Last edited:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I had fixed this however on my first ride out since crimping the cables back together the engine was cutting out when a gear was selected no matter if the side stand was up or down. To get around the problem I reverted it back to the short circuit 'over-ride' as per before. My question is would it matter which way I re-connect the two cables? e.g. a positive and negative which will only work correctly when connected + to + and - to -

Otherwise I think the switch must be defunct

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I had fixed this however on my first ride out since crimping the cables back together the engine was cutting out when a gear was selected no matter if the side stand was up or down. To get around the problem I reverted it back to the short circuit 'over-ride' as per before. My question is would it matter which way I re-connect the two cables? e.g. a positive and negative which will only work correctly when connected + to + and - to -

Otherwise I think the switch must be defunct

Now you've established that the switch or whatever mechanically operates the switch is bad. http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=574293&postcount=2
Now inspect the switch at the side stand to make sure it is there and it is activated by the side stand. If it is there and mechanically operated by the side stand or it does not exist order a new one. :)
Edit: If it is not there you will probably also need the the machine screws and nuts that hold it on the bike...:)

Last edited:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Now you've established that the switch or whatever mechanically operates the switch is bad. http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=574293&postcount=2
Now inspect the switch at the side stand to make sure it is there and it is activated by the side stand. If it is there and mechanically operated by the side stand or it does not exist order a new one. :)
Edit: If it is not there you will probably also need the the machine screws and nuts that hold it on the bike...:)

I've previously removed the switch for another reason so it is definitely fitted and the plunger on it that is operated by the actual stand itself seems to work correctly. I'll have a further look inside it for possible damage

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've previously removed the switch for another reason so it is definitely fitted and the plunger on it that is operated by the actual stand itself seems to work correctly. I'll have a further look inside it for possible damage

If you can, attach an ohm meter to establish whether it operates open and closed circuit. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the switch is bad and the PO bypassed it for that reason.

Hooking it back up brought the original problem back.

I've had mine apart for lube and cleaning (no issues) and don't re-call the internals (been a couple of years), there wasn't much to it. It may be actually missing a part inside that you won't see.

I see a new switch in your future. Good luck..

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I stripped the switch down last night to check the continuity of the cabling and it is good, I'll give it another check with the switch reassembled later today. Presuming all is well with it I'll connect it back up with the cables connected the other way round to rule that out.

My gut says the same as you though Scott, probably a new one

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another possibility is a weak return spring on the side stand itself. Make sure the side stand folds up snugly and stays in the up position.

Last edited:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
As I recall, there was a small spring in there (likely to push contacts together). Did you have a very small spring in there?

My apologies Scott, in my previous post I thought you were referring to the larger spring housed within the switch that moves the contactor back and forth - that one is ok

However the smaller spring, which is beneath the contactor housed in the switch, was completely rotten therefore the contacts can't come together

You hit the nail on the head with that one! Will I have to replace the whole thing for the sake of a tiny spring?