Shower curtain liner under cover?

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys
I was wondering if anyone has put one of those cheap clear plastic shower curtain liners underneath their covers during heavy rain? The reason Im asking is because next week I am going back to school, and living in the dorms forces me to keep my bike outside. I have a Tourmaster Select cover, but it leaks after a couple hours of rain rendering it pretty near useless. I kept my bike outside when I was in the dorms last year, but to be honest I didnt really care about my Kawasaki getting wet. I care ALOT more about my FZ6!! The Tourmaster cover is great for keeping the dew off in the morning, but not really much else. I am thinking that if I throw one of those shower curtain liners on top of my bike, then put my cover on it should keep my bike pretty dry. It also shouldnt scratch either. I really would rather not buy a new cover right now, so if anyone has tried this or has some input let me know! If not, Ill just give it a shot and let everyone know how it goes!:thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
if your bike is wet after a ride, and you cover it, you want the cover to breathe, so your bike can dry out. that's something to consider.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
if your bike is wet after a ride, and you cover it, you want the cover to breathe, so your bike can dry out. that's something to consider.

Yep. My heavy duty Dowco cover keeps the rain off, but anything that splashes up off the ground gets the lower bits all wet. The cover has a plastic vent in it to help it breathe.

I'd far sooner buy a better cover than use something plasticky that will keep it wet and speed corrosion.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys
I guess I should elaborate a little. I hate to say it but when Im at school I dont get to ride very much. Im only able to keep it there for about a month, and I only have time to ride once or twice a week. It really sucks but basically when im at school I turn into a fairweather rider :thumbdown: because of schoolwork. So really Im just trying to keep my bike dry in between the few rides im able to take. I just cant justify spending the money on another cover because I just bought this one last year. My bike is garage kept the rest of the year, except for when I bring it back to school for a month in April and when I am traveling and it sits out at a campsight. I guess my question is, for a month of use do you guys think the shower curtain liner is still a bad idea? I know its kind of a goofy set up but it sounded like a good idea in my head lol.

EDIT: Technically im not even supposed to have my bike at school. When I buy the year pass for my car, the parking people always give me a free pass to let me keep my bike there for the months of September and April. They just tell me not to tell anyone lol. I am really lucky they have been doing this for me because if they didnt I would have to stop riding at the end of August! So even though I cant ride it much when I am there im still really happy I can ride it at all.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not a bad idea really, if your just got it parked there, question though, is it parked on grass gravel pavement? if it's grass or another surface that gets wet an curtain liner is going to catch condensation that would have otherwise evaporated, keeping it humid longer. Maybe cut some vent holes in it where it would hang off the sides of the bike?

Best solution would probably be a waterproof cover, if you could afford it, but being a student you probably dont have a few hundred bucks to throw into a cover, especially if they screw you for books like they do here :spank:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not a bad idea really, if your just got it parked there, question though, is it parked on grass gravel pavement? if it's grass or another surface that gets wet an curtain liner is going to catch condensation that would have otherwise evaporated, keeping it humid longer. Maybe cut some vent holes in it where it would hang off the sides of the bike?

Best solution would probably be a waterproof cover, if you could afford it, but being a student you probably dont have a few hundred bucks to throw into a cover, especially if they screw you for books like they do here :spank:

Thanks for the response. Its just a paved parking lot, so there will be a little bit of moisture underneath it, but not much. The Tourmaster cover actually does a good job closing up the bottom of the bike- it has a hole on either side that you put hooks in to cinch up the bottom of the cover. It also has some nice vents on the sides too up near the top. I think I will try to make some small holes in the liner that match up with the vents on the cover (if thats even possible lol). Ill cut down the liner too so it will sit nicely on the bike. Ill go out and buy the cover tomorrow and start experimenting. They only cost like 4 dollars at Target so im not out much if I decide its not going to work. At this point, anythings going to work better than the cover I have now. I wish I could sink money into a new cover but id really like to buy new boots with that money haha. I thought the Tourmaster would have worked out a little better but I guess for 40 bucks what can you expect. Its really not a big deal my bike gets wet, definitely not going to hurt her. I just feel bad leaving her out in the rain.

And yes, they have been screwing me on books- this semester will be the least ive paid for em and its still going to be over $500. I spent $700 last semester and was only able to get $100 back when I sold them! Still havent broke the $1k mark like some of my friends.

Last edited:

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
You might look into water-proofing products that are available for canvas tents. One of those may be able to water-proof your cover, while allowing it to breathe so that the moisture underneath can escape.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
You might look into water-proofing products that are available for canvas tents. One of those may be able to water-proof your cover, while allowing it to breathe so that the moisture underneath can escape.

This was actually my first idea, but for some reason I switched gears from doing that to using the liner lol. I used to use Kiwi camp dry on my old tents rain fly and it worked alright, just had to re-apply it every season. I havent had to use it recently because my new tent has an awesome rainfly. I think im going to give the spray a shot first. Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That's what I use on my cover. Don't treat the cover while it's on your bike though cuz there may be an unwanted chemical interaction with paint or other plastics etc...

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know what, I have a Yamaha cover that's made for the FZ that I haven't used in a couple of years. PM me if you're interested in buying it, I know you're a student and I'll give you a good price.

It's this one: Yamaha FZ6 Accessories, Yamaha FZ6 Bike Cover

It is really really nice, and should work well for you, and I don't think you'd have to rainproof it or anything.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any solid material like plastic is going collect moisture when the temp changes. Mainly after the bike is warm and it cools (not ridden, just the sunlight), water can easily condense so its air circulation that will dry it and plastic doesn't vent well.

Although the covers are letting water condense and potentially leak right in, they also allow a bit of air circulation. Maybe plastic up top only?

No chance of an awning or somewhere out of direct exposure but still outside?

There is this option:
newlove.jpg

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys just a quick update- I went out of town for the weekend but before I left I treated my cover with two cans of Kiwi Camp Dry (one can followed by a second four hours later) and let it dry over the weekend. I spread it out over a lawn chair for the application then just hung it up in my garage to dry. It looks like it came out really well, the cover was pretty bleached out by the sun but is back to its original dark color. Obviously I wont know how it works until I am at school, but again it looks pretty nice now.

You know what, I have a Yamaha cover that's made for the FZ that I haven't used in a couple of years. PM me if you're interested in buying it, I know you're a student and I'll give you a good price.

It's this one: Yamaha FZ6 Accessories, Yamaha FZ6 Bike Cover

It is really really nice, and should work well for you, and I don't think you'd have to rainproof it or anything.

That would be pretty nice! Ill send you a PM!

Any solid material like plastic is going collect moisture when the temp changes. Mainly after the bike is warm and it cools (not ridden, just the sunlight), water can easily condense so its air circulation that will dry it and plastic doesn't vent well.

Although the covers are letting water condense and potentially leak right in, they also allow a bit of air circulation. Maybe plastic up top only?

No chance of an awning or somewhere out of direct exposure but still outside?

There is this option:
newlove.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have anywhere else to put her :(. Well actually there is a parking garage about a half a mile away from my dorm that my new permit allows me to park in, but the police rarely patrol it and cars are frequently vandalized and broken into. The lot in front of my dorm is much safer because it is well lit and police are constantly patrolling it. If that garage was safer it would be perfect! I have comprehensive coverage but I would rather not have to use it!

Please tell me that is your bike lol thats awesome!

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I would post an update now that ive been using my cover that I treated with Kiwi Camp Dry for over a month and a half. It worked way better than I expected! Water just beads up and rolls off, where before it was leaking through leaving the whole cover and bike soaked. It works better then when it was new. We had a few days of rain nonstop and the cover never leaked. I would recommend this to anyone whos not satisfied with their covers waterproofing. Im not really sure what I was thinking with the whole shower curtain liner thing lol.

CHEMIKER- I am not sure if you ever received the PM I sent you :confused:

As a side note- my university has been really lenient about MC parking this year and are letting me keep my bike here until the end of October. Ive also been able to ride way more than I thought I was going to be able to this semester :thumbup:

Last edited: