Show us your FZ6 in Touring mode!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, thats called LOADED without any hard luggage. But don't those bungees and hooks scratch/rash up the clear coat on the tail?

Yes, they do. Well, the hooks never touch the finish but the cords do and yes, they've rubbed the clear coat but it's not too bad. I'm not one of the riders who polishes and spit-shines his bike. I do excessive maintenance on them but I'm not worried about the finish. When it comes time to sell, if it's too noticeable, I'd have it worked on to restore it to a high gloss finish. I keep them clean and well maintained but to me, they are a tool and not a toy. :D I should preface this with "Up until that first scratch....." :thumbup:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother & I rode from Newcastle to Brisbane & back last week. Up on Thursday & home on Saturday. A bit over 2000km.
We did the Oxley Hwy in the pouring rain :eek: Great fun. Then we got drunk. Then we got sunburnt. Then we got wet again. So we went home :D

The FZ6
P040210_0801.jpg

100,000 on the clock now days
P040210_0427.jpg

FZ6 & my brothers GSXR 1000 Street Fighter
P040210_080202.jpg

For those playing at home .......................................... in QLD
P040210_1747.jpg

Riding bikes can be thirsty work
P060210_1122.jpg

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
So......what's the best way to tie down a stuff sack with a tent in it and a sleeping bag to my passenger tail section? :confused:

Yes, I've checked out this thread. Very insightful!

I was thinking of using these straps from REI. They have a looped end and are used to tie down kayaks to the roofs of cars.
672429Lrg.jpg

Riverside Heavy Duty Utility Straps - 15 ft. at REI.com
(I'll get something shorter than 15ft, though ^^^^)

I was going to loop one end to the subframe and the other end on the grab handle, it a cross pattern.
In other words, the strap connected to the right side subframe will connect with the strap on the left grab handle, and buckle together.

I've read that bungee cords are a bad idea because they are not as secure.
I suppose if the straps are tight, the sleeping bag and tent won't move back and fly off, but what will prevent them from moving side to side?

Is it better/more secure to put both tent and sleeping bag in a big drybag and then strap the drybag down with the buckle straps?

I took a trip to REI over the weekend and was like :eek::eek::eek:
I don't think my saddle bags will hold everything over a long trip. The sleeping bag (even when compressed) and tent will hog a lot of space.

Thanks for some more insight! :cheer:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
The bungee nets with little hooks all over the 4 sides help with that, a lot. Also the few times I've had to tour with big, fluffy, lighter stuff (like a rolled-up sleeping bag) outside a hard pannier, I strapped it down directly behind me on the seat, where it gets hit with MUCH less wind. It's pretty still right up behind you.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
So......what's the best way to tie down a stuff sack with a tent in it and a sleeping bag to my passenger tail section? :confused:

Yes, I've checked out this thread. Very insightful!

I was thinking of using these straps from REI. They have a looped end and are used to tie down kayaks to the roofs of cars.
672429Lrg.jpg

Riverside Heavy Duty Utility Straps - 15 ft. at REI.com
(I'll get something shorter than 15ft, though ^^^^)

I was going to loop one end to the subframe and the other end on the grab handle, it a cross pattern.
In other words, the strap connected to the right side subframe will connect with the strap on the left grab handle, and buckle together.

I've read that bungee cords are a bad idea because they are not as secure.
I suppose if the straps are tight, the sleeping bag and tent won't move back and fly off, but what will prevent them from moving side to side?

Is it better/more secure to put both tent and sleeping bag in a big drybag and then strap the drybag down with the buckle straps?

I took a trip to REI over the weekend and was like :eek::eek::eek:
I don't think my saddle bags will hold everything over a long trip. The sleeping bag (even when compressed) and tent will hog a lot of space.

Thanks for some more insight! :cheer:

I use four ratchet straps. The ratchet straps I use have no hooks but simply make a loop to tighten down on itself (like the straps you show except they ratchet). I use two to go around the pack, then two to attach to the bike. You can sinch these tight enough where they won't move. Sorry, no link, as the ones I use are used to strap down bikes to crates when they are shipped inbound.

DeadRider

Relax & Enjoy
Reaction score
Visit site
With a group of friends, we made a trip to Bariloche (2800 km in 4 days). First day trip was 1150 km.

Me, ready to go from San Martin de Los Andes to Bariloche (day 2)
14747_198965663651_595098651_3177472_8047093_n.jpg

The bikes
14747_198965568651_595098651_3177462_4654898_n.jpg

John (from Canada)...he bought a Wee-Strom in Canada and was doing his own "Long way down"...to chilean patagonia. He already had done 20.000 km, and there were 3000 km more to achieve his destiny...

14747_198965973651_595098651_3177503_5648822_n.jpg

torogi

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my bike on our ride to the Visayan Islands, Philippines.

first to arrive at rendezvouz point
P1011247.jpg

Our bikes on a ferry
P1011258.jpg

Our bikes parked for the night
P1011275.jpg

Our first destination, Boracay Island
P1011271.jpg

Last edited:

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Here she is back in September after a two night camping trip. Carried everything I needed in the saddle and tank bags. A buddy carried the tent. I might add the Givi rack and a coocase (35 or 48L? Dunno yet) if I get more ambitious.

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a couple of pics from our recent 2up adventure in Scotland, 1000 miles in 4 days and with this fantastic weather - how lucky were we!?!

matteblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my "packing light and staying in motels" setup:

4841417274_1345bd747d_b.jpg

Holds a couple changes of clothes and the essentials. Best part is that I can't even tell they are on the bike most times.

Last edited: