Show me your footbrake lever....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
..I now have my first rule of waxing the FZ6..

Always use the Center Stand!

I was finishing up some waxing and as luck would have it, the bike fell over! No real damage thankfully...a little scratch on the right mirror and a scrape on my frame slider. The right peg was folded up and slightly wedged in the folded position but it came down with a little wiggle and is ok. The footbrake lever was bent in a little and was making light contact on the center stand, so I took it off and straightened in a vise.

I put back on taking care to align the punch marks on the lever and shaft, but when riding it it felt like it was further down and required a further push to activate.

I might be me, but can you look at my pictures and let me know how the position of your lever (pictures would be a great help).

Thanks...and again...

Rule #1 - ALWAYS use the center stand when waxing.
Rule #2 - NEVER forget rule #1.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be bent a little, but it's adjustable. So just knock it up a notch. Undo the pinch bolt and rotate it one notch, in other words.

Same for the shifter.

Rule #3: Don't push so hard when you wax. It'll fall off the center stand too.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be bent a little, but it's adjustable. So just knock it up a notch. Undo the pinch bolt and rotate it one notch, in other words.

Same for the shifter.

Thanks, I was going to try and offset it, but I am trying to find out if I am nutz. Is your brake lever in a similar "at rest" position?

And my waxing problem is because my driveway has a slight pitch to it and I was too lazy to move to another spot. Never again.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A little trick from my new BMW friends: if you're wrenching or waxing while the bike is on the centerstand, thread a tiedown strap through your front wheel, back around the centerstand, and cinch down. This won't prevent the bike from falling over sideways, but will prevent it from coming off the CS in the normal way (which I did once, trying to loosen the rear axle nut :eek: ).

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my brake lever last year with a new one.
It looks like this:

brake.jpg

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A little trick from my new BMW friends: if you're wrenching or waxing while the bike is on the centerstand, thread a tiedown strap through your front wheel, back around the centerstand, and cinch down. This won't prevent the bike from falling over sideways, but will prevent it from coming off the CS in the normal way (which I did once, trying to loosen the rear axle nut :eek: ).

I saw your post about almost losing the bike off the center stand when wrenching the wheel. I made a mental note of that one. Thanks.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Zip tie the front brake lever down if not working on the brakes/front wheel also helps keep-er in place.

I have this nice grainy picture.. .. .. :rolleyes: Lever may have been adjusted upwards slightly since photo.
IMG_20130416_190703_075WEB_zps3db2df4f.jpg

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. What I see is that my lever is beneath the center stand bolts. Too low. I will reorient it and test once the lousy weather leaves New Jersey.