Show me your chicken strips

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the worn down rubber inserts on my FZ1 with the ones from FZ6 (FZ6 ones are better). They're only ~$9 per side. Part # 3YX-27413-00-00

I want aluminum inserts or NEW Serrated Pegs!!!!
On that run to Astoria in the mist/light rain, I was leaning over pretty good only to find wet boot (rubber between heel and toe) + rubber peg = ZERO traction at the boot peg intersection. Foot went sliding off three times and that messed up my line!

There must be a drop in solution for the fizzer! Anyone?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On that run to Astoria in the mist/light rain, I was leaning over pretty good only to find wet boot (rubber between heel and toe) + rubber peg = ZERO traction at the boot peg intersection. Foot went sliding off three times and that messed up my line!

Pretty sure there isn't one. Best / cheapest route is aftermarket pegs. You may end up with a slightly odd angle, since no one makes them for FZ6 and you have to go with alternatives, but you'll have better grip.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site

A member was selling some inserts for the stock pegs as well as completely new pegs (link below). Although I think he hasn't been selling them for a few years, you might be able to track some down. Also, throughout the thread people mentioned other commercially available alternatives. There are a few companies that make replacements for FZ6 specifically, and of course lots of "universal" replacements.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/9816-foot-pegs.html?highlight=inserts

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A member was selling some inserts for the stock pegs as well as completely new pegs (link below). Although I think he hasn't been selling them for a few years, you might be able to track some down. Also, throughout the thread people mentioned other commercially available alternatives. There are a few companies that make replacements for FZ6 specifically, and of course lots of "universal" replacements.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/9816-foot-pegs.html?highlight=inserts

Nice - Now to find some.... Rep point sent! :thumbup:
9595d1225511356-foot-pegs-picture-002-jpg

/end thread derail....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a set of these and they were really great for increasing clearance!

Fleebay seems to have an assortment of knockoffs. Some are billet, some are cast, some anodized..... None come close to the cost of after-market rear sets....

/end thread derail.... I swear!
picture.php

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as this thread was always going to be a willy measuring contest, here's my tinky winky:

WP_20140729_003.jpg

WP_20140729_005.jpg

In my defense, I've only been riding since march :rolleyes:

A couple pages back, FinalImpact posted a link about how tires are supposed to wear. It looks like you have a small issue in how your suspension is set up because you're getting some slight tearing on the trailing edge of the treads.

See here: Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This was after taking my bike to Arkansas for the twisties last year. It was new to me and I had only rode it for about 2 weeks prior to the trip. I plan on not having any when I come back from the trip this year. I hope some of you guys will join us! :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple pages back, FinalImpact posted a link about how tires are supposed to wear. It looks like you have a small issue in how your suspension is set up because you're getting some slight tearing on the trailing edge of the treads.

See here: Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes

+1. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do with the stock rear shock, as this appears to be a rebound issue, but at the very least, make sure your pressure is where it should be and set your sag as well as you can (the pre-load adjuster is quite effective on FZ6.. not that it's a substitute for correct spring weight).

Oh and.. I know you know this, but it's time for new tire! :thumbup:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site

i bought R6 pegs at some point because a genius somewhere had written than they were compatible with FZ6. (no it wasn't in this forum). Thought about how to adapt them to the FZ6 in a secure manner and did this. See the picture since a picture is worth a 1000 words. It's a piece of plastic that is lodge between the peg and the rearset. I had cut the width of the plastic so that it would be very very tight to fit in there and then the pegs would automatically put pressure on it and set it in place. It never moved... No glue, no nothing. Some might not find it elegant enough but the peg itself worked well and there are plenty of cheap knock-off for maximum saving.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
+1. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do with the stock rear shock, as this appears to be a rebound issue, but at the very least, make sure your pressure is where it should be and set your sag as well as you can (the pre-load adjuster is quite effective on FZ6.. not that it's a substitute for correct spring weight).

Oh and.. I know you know this, but it's time for new tire! :thumbup:

I'm glad I now know that you know that I know this :) PR3's going on as we speak.

What I couldn't make out from Finalimpact's link (thanks Chancecoats, I'd missed it), is whether I need to have the back softer or harder. I have it set on 5 now, 4 when the tyre was new, anything lower feels soggy. I'll admit to riding with some enthusiasm, and most of our roads are twisties, but at 90kg (in gear) I'm hardly heavy. I'm meticulous about tyre pressures, always run factory spec.

Having spent years modifying my cars to more or less extent I was really hoping not to have to mess about with the bike!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad I now know that you know that I know this :) PR3's going on as we speak.

What I couldn't make out from Finalimpact's link (thanks Chancecoats, I'd missed it), is whether I need to have the back softer or harder. I have it set on 5 now, 4 when the tyre was new, anything lower feels soggy. I'll admit to riding with some enthusiasm, and most of our roads are twisties, but at 90kg (in gear) I'm hardly heavy. I'm meticulous about tyre pressures, always run factory spec.

Having spent years modifying my cars to more or less extent I was really hoping not to have to mess about with the bike!

The rear adjustment doesn't control hardness, it controls preload, which in a nutshell is ride height... "Hardness" is controlled by damping, which cannot be altered on the stock shock.

At your weight i would think that 5 would be the correct setting, but the only way to be sure of it is to spend a few minutes with a measuring tape and measure your suspension travel.
I weigh 80kg without gear, and the stock shock on 5 gave me:

Rear preload on 5
Rear static sag: 7mm
Rear rider sag: 30mm

Which is as close to perfect as i could get it...

Here is are good articles on it:

Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

Peter Verdone Designs - Motorcycle Springs

And a great video showing you how to set sag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3flKxf41U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikjw4IheeF4

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear adjustment doesn't control hardness, it controls preload, which in a nutshell is ride height... "Hardness" is controlled by damping, which cannot be altered on the stock shock.

At your weight i would think that 5 would be the correct setting, but the only way to be sure of it is to spend a few minutes with a measuring tape and measure your suspension travel.
I weigh 80kg without gear, and the stock shock on 5 gave me:

Rear preload on 5
Rear static sag: 7mm
Rear rider sag: 30mm

Which is as close to perfect as i could get it...

Here is are good articles on it:

Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

Peter Verdone Designs - Motorcycle Springs

And a great video showing you how to set sag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3flKxf41U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikjw4IheeF4

Yup! Exactly what Carlos said. FZ6 is very easy to measure, since it has a center stand (well.. the faired version, at least). On center stand, you can get the fully extended axle to tail distance. Then mesaure same distance with bike resting on 2 wheels (helps to have someone support the bike while you do this). You want 5-10mm static sag. Now measure the same distance wearing full gear sitting on the bike (obviously need a helper for this). Close to 30mm would be good.

But to simplify it, at your weight, 5 is very likely the right pre-load number. It's fine for street riding, but when pushed hard, the tire wear will quickly show that stock suspension damping is not ideal.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, okay that makes it a bit clearer, at £300/set I can't afford to be using a set every 4 1/2 months/ 6.5k miles! Will check sag, see how this set start wearing and report back. Thanks all

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup! Exactly what Carlos said. FZ6 is very easy to measure, since it has a center stand (well.. the faired version, at least). On center stand, you can get the fully extended axle to tail distance. Then mesaure same distance with bike resting on 2 wheels (helps to have someone support the bike while you do this). You want 5-10mm static sag. Now measure the same distance wearing full gear sitting on the bike (obviously need a helper for this). Close to 30mm would be good.

But to simplify it, at your weight, 5 is very likely the right pre-load number. It's fine for street riding, but when pushed hard, the tire wear will quickly show that stock suspension damping is not ideal.

Also that suspension is going to compress more in the turn as there is added pressure.

I had mine cranked at the way up to 7 and my stoutness showed no love. Still as an overall bike you can't beat the FZ6 for fun! :rockon:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Also that suspension is going to compress more in the turn as there is added pressure.

I had mine cranked at the way up to 7 and my stoutness showed no love. Still as an overall bike you can't beat the FZ6 for fun! :rockon:
Yeah, just got back frum a little 500+ mi. trip which included sum twisties, goat trails, slab'in and dirt. I dunno 'bout all this suspension long talk, cuz the stock suspension seems purdie damn good fer all 'round ride'in. :cheer: