Show me your chicken strips

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I learned what chicken strips are, I've been entertaining myself looking at my and other riders' strips. Always wondered how far riders lean on normal roads. So if you are not too ashamed to show em', please post a pic.

I'll start with my own. The part in yellow has never ever touched the asphalt and on most days you can see that the strips is much much larger. I'm on my 3rd riding season this year with no prior exp.

If you track and have no strips, then :bow: but no need to post pic :p This thread is for road users only.

EDIT: Tires that have been belt sanded do not count.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
This was my chicken strip before i actually started riding with my upgraded suspension, since doing the forks and shock i have shaved off most of the strips, i now have about 1/4 inch left on the left side and a tiny bit more on the right side. For some reason i am more comfortable leaning on left turns.

You would not believe how much difference a well tuned suspension does, it gives you so much more confidence in the bike it is amazing!

This is all on normal roads and twisties, never been on a track.

DSC_4054_zpsbac4a771.jpg

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Crap. The last time someone posted this question I very proudly showed off my tires. But that was the last set, and it's too hot out there right now to dig out the belt sander again.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday night track day. Track was wet in some area but had a blast with the 09. Handling was good and that thing is a rocket... up to 130 then bha! I'll fix that for the next track day... :)

Here the Angle GT. Not a track rubber but was good enough to keep up with about any bikes in the corners. I ran out of talent before grip!

vube5yje.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Crap. The last time someone posted this question I very proudly showed off my tires. But that was the last set, and it's too hot out there right now to dig out the belt sander again.

LMAO.. well played!

I can go into my explanation why chicken strips are mostly meaningless, but I don't want to be a party pooper.. so.. as you were :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
attachment.php

BlahBlahBlah

Mine Tastes Better tho!!

I've found different profiles changes things up a bit. 016 016 Pros run out w/zero chicken. Current tire BT023 still has an bit a chicken :eek:

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I find this ironic because I happened to be practicing at my local airport with my still new to me FZ1 bar swap and took this pic today. My normal strips before today were just about a cm from the edge. I started riding mid April (First time on a bike) :)

My rear tire isn't in the best shape either. A few times its stepped out on me under mild acceleration on corner exit. Today was the first time I had the front wash out under me and did a small stoppie while practicing emergency braking. It really takes a LOT of effort to do threshold braking with the front, maybe its just the shorty levers not giving me enough leverage.

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
BlahBlahBlah

Mine Tastes Better tho!!

I've found different profiles changes things up a bit. 016 016 Pros run out w/zero chicken. Current tire BT023 still has an bit a chicken :eek:

Lol now I'm hungry again. Darn you!

I have Bt023 now, which means I will have chicken strips until the end of time!!!! :eek:

It is impressive how everybody so far have basically no chicken strips... Usually when I go about looking at tires on the street, there is about an inch of chicken strips on most.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol now I'm hungry again. Darn you!

I have Bt023 now, which means I will have chicken strips until the end of time!!!! :eek:

It is impressive how everybody so far have basically no chicken strips... Usually when I go about looking at tires on the street, there is about an inch of chicken strips on most.

The 023 isn't for Bling! :D:D

Front S20 Chic!
53344d1400733673-bridgestone-bt023-rear-s20-front-img_20140521_190503_168-jpg

023 Chic! No track days.. .. ..
53345d1400733673-bridgestone-bt023-rear-s20-front-img_20140521_190441_591-jpg

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
My off center rubber has only gotten a peck from the asphalt from time to time but you guys have been doing some serious french kissing. Where the heck do you guys get to lean like that on normal roads?!

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy with myself. I've only been riding on the street for this summer and I have approximately 600 miles put on my '04 FZ6. As you can see, I primarily do slab riding to and from work. The corners are just too much fun to miss though.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I find this ironic because I happened to be practicing at my local airport with my still new to me FZ1 bar swap and took this pic today. My normal strips before today were just about a cm from the edge. I started riding mid April (First time on a bike) :)

My rear tire isn't in the best shape either. A few times its stepped out on me under mild acceleration on corner exit. Today was the first time I had the front wash out under me and did a small stoppie while practicing emergency braking. It really takes a LOT of effort to do threshold braking with the front, maybe its just the shorty levers not giving me enough leverage.
Jeez that tyre is squared off! I'm surprised you can go round corners on that! :eek:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

Different riding techniques also influence things a lot!

I do most of my twistie riding alone or with this one guy. He Is a very experienced rider but rides without moving his body on the bike at all, meaning that he caries a lot of lean angle in the turns.
Personally i prefer to hang off a little bit, or at least move my body and head on the inside so as to minimize lean angle, i see it as a safety net.

When we ride at equal speed, he uses all his tire and has no strip, i use less tire and have a bit of strip left.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Different riding techniques also influence things a lot!

I do most of my twistie riding alone or with this one guy. He Is a very experienced rider but rides without moving his body on the bike at all, meaning that he caries a lot of lean angle in the turns.
Personally i prefer to hang off a little bit, or at least move my body and head on the inside so as to minimize lean angle, i see it as a safety net.

When we ride at equal speed, he uses all his tire and has no strip, i use less tire and have a bit of strip left.

That right there in a nutshell is why chicken strips or lack thereof do not say if you are a good rider or not. If you use proper body positioning you are giving your self more tire contact and thus more traction at same speed and less of a chicken strip than your friend who is not moving his body which is obviously a much safer way to ride.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
That right there in a nutshell is why chicken strips or lack thereof do not say if you are a good rider or not. If you use proper body positioning you are giving your self more tire contact and thus more traction at same speed and less of a chicken strip than your friend who is not moving his body which is obviously a much safer way to ride.

I have already had this conversation with him before and he doesn't see the point of trying to use body positioning.

In a case of a turn getting tighter out of nowhere, i have some lean angle in reserve, he would already be on the edge and screwed, didn't seem to bother him.

He was a high level cyclist, and did thousands of miles on a bicycle where you really can't lean off, maybe that's why it seems useless to him...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
new rear tyre, a week old, still very waxy and the weather here is cold n wet, the roads outside my front door are caked with clay from the building works across the road and its just not something I think is worth sharing......yet