Should you weave periodically to prevent "flat" spot around rear tire?

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was recently told that I should weave in my lane periodically if I'm on a straight road for a long time to help prevent a "flat" spot around my rear tire. Weaving will help even out the wear on the tire and keep it rounded. The center of the rear tire was starting to develop a small flat spot around it when I got the bike from the previous owner a couple months ago. I was told that if I continue to ride lots of straight roads that it would get worse. If it does get worse, I won't have as much tread on the ground when I take turns (the tire will almost have a little point to it). Overall both tires have a great amount of tread on them so I'm not worried about that. The concept makes sense... it's just that no one has told me this yet, so I would like to know if this is a common practice for motorcyclists.

Thanks for the input! :thumbup:

-Taso

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a flat spot in my front tyre from commuting , its the cambre of ther road that does it .I told my wife and she said "wouldn't it even out on the way home " :eek:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No you should not weave in your lane.

Once you have the correct tyre pressures and the tyres have been warmed by riding. You should find the flat spot disappears.

If it does not you will probably have to replace the tyre.

Steve

W

wrightme43

I dont know man.

I have the correct tire pressure and Every single tire I have had on both bikes gets flat spot on the rear. Its just a fact of life, you spend more time upright than leaned over unless your racing, or just only ride twisties with no commute or travel.

Its not really possible to make it go away. Just ride it to the wear bars and do it again.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In order to get over far enough to round out the flat spot on a straight line commute you'd have to be weaving awfully severely which will be offputting to other motorists and very nasty on wet oily roads:eek:. If you commute lots, get a triple compound (dual at least) tire and ride 'til it's worn...and heading into the twisties every weekend to try to keep it round is the upside:rockon:...lol.
Cheers
Mike

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
The only good reason to weave in your lane is to allow other motorists to see you better (a weaving bike catches the eye unlike one in a straight line). If you use your bike for commuting, any highway riding, long stretches of travel to get to twisties, etc, then youw ill not be able to "make up" for the difference between upright and leaned-over riding.

I have a flat spot on my tire, Rob has a pretty significant one on his, most of our friends also are flatter than round, regardless of riding style, unless it is their track bike.

On my last set of tires, my flat spot was so bad, I could feel it hitch a bit when I leaned into corners.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Pronounced weaving may save a tire for a few miles more but it may also get you a nifty fine for reckless driving. Even if it worked (which I really really doubt) it wouldn't be worth it.

Hotei

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Weaving will just draw unwanted attention, piss off other drivers, reduce your margin for error, make you look like a jackass, and probably get you pulled over. One thing it won't do, is significantly change the wear of your tire.

On any street bike with single compound tires, if your riding consists of mainly straight roads, you will get a flat spot. That's why they invented multiple compound tires, to prevent it.

Oh, and it happens to dirtbikes too...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The only way swerving/weaving would help with a flat spot is if you did it on a regular basis. Even then you'll still see some flat, as every time you accelerate from a stop, or slow down in a straight line you're scrubbing off rubber.

Flat spots are inevitable. The only thing you can do is try to keep them to a minimum by keeping your tire pressure set properly.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Futile and Dangerous.

futile; you would need to lean over for so many miles that it would take forever.

Dangerous; to you other, road users and your license.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Just leave it parked in the garage if you really want to avoid the flat spot...or just ride around in circles in a parking lot. Or move from Chicago to SF like I am about to.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Only time I do it is to make sure the tires are nice and warmed up, and try to scrub some crap off the sidewalls before I hit some hard weekend twisties.

W

wrightme43

I do swerve or scissor down the road for fun. Its not for the tire. Just because I enjoy the hell out of it, and it keeps my swerve to avoid skills sharp.

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
I do swerve or scissor down the road for fun. Its not for the tire. Just because I enjoy the hell out of it, and it keeps my swerve to avoid skills sharp.

same hear. I am lucky to live near the blue ridge mountains and not too far from the smokies, so weekends take care of my 260 weekday commute:rockon: My pirelli's have quite a few miles on them and are looking like the day they were new.

S

sportrider

I had done a detailed response but I got booted before I submitted the reply, so in short.... don't do that

S

sportrider

not if your trying to save your tires from squareing off. I've read somewhere that they don't even recommend doing it to "warm up" your tires. practicing swerving is different~~~~~~~ down the road just looks like you don't know how to go straight:D