Should I buy or should I go....

pavil58fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Spanking brand new 'newbie' here. Hello to all.

Found a 2006 FZ6 with about 10K miles on it. It has damage from a low speed get-off. Handlebars severely bent on left side, clutch (ignition?) cover cracked/scraped on the same side, radiator might have some damage. Mirrors don't look right either but I still have to see the bike in person. There may be more but the pictures I have do not show it.

Party was asking 2400 for it but is down to 2200. I actually think less would be more reasonable since it is 6-years old and damaged.

Your input and thoughts?

Pav

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
my 2006 that i bought last year with 23,000 miles....i paid $3,000. It was/is in near perfect condition for a bike of its age (no damage).

If you are confident that there is no hidden damage, and you are confident in your abilities to work on the bike, then it doesn't sound too bad. maybe try to get a couple hundred more off. maybe do some research to find the cost of parts the bike needs and use that in your negotiation.

good luck and get some pics

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Spanking brand new 'newbie' here. Hello to all.

Found a 2006 FZ6 with about 10K miles on it. It has damage from a low speed get-off. Handlebars severely bent on left side, clutch (ignition?) cover cracked/scraped on the same side, radiator might have some damage. Mirrors don't look right either but I still have to see the bike in person. There may be more but the pictures I have do not show it.

Party was asking 2400 for it but is down to 2200. I actually think less would be more reasonable since it is 6-years old and damaged.

Your input and thoughts?

Pav

I'd think it's worth closer to $1500 because of the damage.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree no more than $1500 with the damage because to put it back to stock will end up costing about $1000 maybe more maybe less, or you could go the streetfighter route and save some money, but I would also look at prices for the parts and use that as a bargaining chip to get the price down as someone else said, plus print out some other adds of good bikes priced around $3000 that should also help. And one more thing when you go to look at the bike make sure to look at the frame VERY CLOSELY especially where the 2 arms come down for motor mounts, that is a weak spot on the frames and sometimes crack or break in a a situation like this, even in low speed crashes. It can't stress this enough because if the frame is cracked, technically the bike is totaled and wouldn't be worth more than $500 as a whole unit.

pavil58fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Three images:

Handlebars.jpg
Crankcase.jpg

HWRightsidebike.jpg

I did not add the text to the third image. Looks to me like the radiator and trim is buggered up.

Pav

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like the stator cover might be cracked, with out looking at the bike myself I can't really be of anymore help but it looks like it hit something pretty hard, I'd stay away from it for anything more than $1500 and maybe not even that without seeing it for myself

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't get yourself into that mess if I were you. I paid $3,300 for my 2005 with 13K miles on it in perfect condition. You more than likely would find more things wrong with that bike than meets the eye. Not worth your trouble unless you get it for very little money.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
You will definitely need the things you mentioned, plus the fairing stay is severely bent and probably many of the plastics are screwed up. who knows what else you may find that needs tweaking, it looks to have taken a massive hit.

I would avoid the bike and find one in better shape for not that much more money. Unless you can get it for a great price and want a project, or perhaps a want to go fairingless or "naked" as many of us say and ditch all the plastics you may have quite a bit of money tied up in parts. I would say less than $1500 and you could make out ok.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!

Have you heard it run? It would also might be hard for you to determine if the the front is bent or twisted. I like working on bikes and to be honest I would be shy on this especially at that price. I agree with the members that you can by a very nice FZ6 for that price today. Be patient.

pavil58fz

Reaction score
Visit site
I e-mailed him last evening and said I was going to pass on the bike. He replied that he would take 1800.00 for it. I am sorely tempted to jump on it. Remove all the body work and run it naked.

No, I've not heard it run since the radiator is empty and I suspect the oil is gone too. The cover for the ignition/clutch (left side) is cracked. He offered to crank it up but I said not to.

I also has a carbon-fiber muffler, Vance and Hines...I can't remember.

Decisions, decisions......

P

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I e-mailed him last evening and said I was going to pass on the bike. He replied that he would take 1800.00 for it. I am sorely tempted to jump on it. Remove all the body work and run it naked.

No, I've not heard it run since the radiator is empty and I suspect the oil is gone too. The cover for the ignition/clutch (left side) is cracked. He offered to crank it up but I said not to.

I also has a carbon-fiber muffler, Vance and Hines...I can't remember.

Decisions, decisions......

P

I would seriously walk away at $1800...especially since its empty of oil and coolant! I would NEVER buy a bike that I didn't hear the motor run for that price. I've purchased a few vintage ones that I can see the motor turns over before buying but those are a couple hundred dollar bikes.

I think you can find a much nicer bike for not that much more $.

I would say pass along and keep looking!

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I think he's asking for way to much money! I wouldn't give him a cent over $1000. Keep looking, you'll find a bike that doesn't have a huge list of repairs.:welcome:

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I must agree with the others. I would definitely walk away and keep looking. Too much potential for hidden issues.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can't ride the bike it is considered SALVAGE !! I would not give more than $500.00 for a bike of that year and the mileage and condition without hearing it run.... don't throw away your money..... :spank: :welcome: to the Forum :rockon:

ryan00ss

Reaction score
Visit site
agreed. sounds like quite the project and could turn into a money pit. I agree with everyone above, no more than 1500. I bought my flawless 2006 fz6 with 3800 miles on it for $2800 back in July.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely steer clear of it Mate.

You don't know what other damage is there, but even the damage you can see would make me pass it by.

Remember, even if you get it, it'll be quite a lot of money and at least a month or so before you can ride.

I'd wait a bit, and you'll find a clean, uncrashed bike for less than the purchase of this one and associated expenses to get it on the road.

I've repaired bikes like that in the past, and they've never ridden the same - so unless you're desperate to find a money pit, steer clear.

My 2c, but it'll save you thousands.....

Cheers,
Rick

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Please please please don't even consider buying this bike. As others have said, be patient and you will find a much better bike for not much more. It took me 4 months but I was able to find an absolutely flawless '09 with 3,000 miles for $4,500. Patience is a virtue.