Should I buy a FZ6 S2 without ABS?

ebk71

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a FZ6 S2 (see photo) available from 2007 without ABS.
Normally they come with ABS (Netherlands). Is this a buy or not buy?
If I would sell it, should someone buy it? After a crash I'm very interested in ABS but it's no miracle solution.

Well it sure is pretty.
In the US ABS is not even a option. I would like to have it, but it does not keep me from enjoying my bike.
It has outstanding traction, and with a stainless line and pad upgrade it stops like you would not believe.

I would buy one with out, but if there was one available with it here I would of chosen it.

Thats really no help huh? LOL

There's a FZ6 S2 (see photo) available from 2007 without ABS.
Normally they come with ABS (Netherlands). Is this a buy or not buy?
If I would sell it, should someone buy it? After a crash I'm very interested in ABS but it's no miracle solution.

Get the one WITH ABS!!,- The ABS on mine have saved my ass 2 times, - hate to think what would have happend if I'd opted for the non-ABS ....

Many on here would disagree with me but I'd say go for it, ABS is almost pointless on the FZ6 as it's not heavy enough to lock the front wheel under normal circumstances, if the pavement traction was so low that the wheel was to lock then ABS would not do you much good anyway as you'll keep rolling into what ever you were trying to avoid. It's really only beneficial on heavy touring bikes where the weight of the bike could cause a lock. ABS was designed for cars to allow you to steer around an incident while braking, ABS on a bike does not allow you to do that.

Many on here would disagree with me but I'd say go for it, ABS is almost pointless on the FZ6 as it's not heavy enough to lock the front wheel under normal circumstances, if the pavement traction was so low that the wheel was to lock then ABS would not do you much good anyway as you'll keep rolling into what ever you were trying to avoid. It's really only beneficial on heavy touring bikes where the weight of the bike could cause a lock. ABS was designed for cars to allow you to steer around an incident while braking, ABS on a bike does not allow you to do that.

I strongly diasgree,- especialy the rear tire can lock up in wet conditions, when you do an emergency stop. I feel strongly about safety, and olso belives if anything we can do safety-vice will save our but just once in the bikes lifetime,- ITS ALL WORTH IT.
I know loads of people who finds it "unsporty" to have ABS on a bike, but unless you are a proffesionell race rider, you just don't have the skill to controll your bikes brakes in ALL conditions. So anything that could help you in that fatal splitsecond, that seperates you from hitting the ongoing traffic headon, is well worth it.

First time my ABS saved me, was on a rainy day, where a ongoing truck suddenly started moving into my lane. I slammed both my brakes in panick, and the ABS kept the bike from sliding sideways. I managed to slov down enough to make a controlled getaway onto the grass along the road, hence not getting hit by the truck.
Without the ABS the bike (and me?) would have been sliding on the tarmac out of controll, most likely coliding with the truck ......

Bluenova makes a good point! The main benefit I would see in ABS is riding in the rain where if you lock up the front wheel you are in trouble.

All things being equal, I would probably buy the ABS. But if I had a really good deal on a non-ABS I would buy it!

You're sorely misinformed about ABS (and apparently your FZ6)...

"Notes: From a safety perspective, an anti-lock device on a motorcycle braking system
brings considerable advantages. In a straight-line emergency stop a motorcycle
equipped with an independent braking system with ABS can generate forces greater
than or equal to a non-ABS system while eliminating any possibility of crashing
because of locked wheels.
During these tests on dry pavement, the motorcycle equipped with such a system
peformed equal to or better than motorcycles that were not so equipped. Overall,
for the tests involving use of both brakes simultaneously, the motorcycle equipped
with ABS generated a mean deceleration 12 % superior to motorcycles without
ABS."

Look here http://www.promocycle.com/documentations/studies-eng/freinage_a.pdf

During these tests on dry pavement, the motorcycle equipped with such a system
peformed equal to or better than motorcycles that were not so equipped.

I read the report of those tests, and all it proves is that the riders had more confidence to brake harder with ABS. The FZ6 is simply not heavy enough to keep the momentum going over the point of friction on a dry surface. You will in fact pull a stoppy.

I understand that ABS on the rear wheel would pose an advantage, but it's really not that hard to bring a locked rear wheel under control, and in an emergency braking situation most if not all the weight is on the front wheel anyway.

ABS was designed to allow a car to steer around an obstacle under heavy braking, if you try and do that under heavy braking on a bike regardless of whether it has ABS or not you'll probably end up flat on your face.

I read the report of those tests, and all it proves is that the riders had more confidence to brake harder with ABS. The FZ6 is simply not heavy enough to keep the momentum going over the point of friction on a dry surface. You will in fact pull a stoppy.

I understand that ABS on the rear wheel would pose an advantage, but it's really not that hard to bring a locked rear wheel under control, and in an emergency braking situation most if not all the weight is on the front wheel anyway.

ABS was designed to allow a car to steer around an obstacle under heavy braking, if you try and do that under heavy braking on a bike regardless of whether it has ABS or not you'll probably end up flat on your face.

Guess we have a Diehard Roadrace expert on our hands :)
ABS on a birk is meant to help you in STRAIGHT LINE BREAKING, - not as a "steer-while-you-break" helper.
Having ABS on my FZ6, and having used it for real twice, - I have no doubt that it, given the right situation, can be a lifesaver.
Now I know that 70-80% of the time it wont make a difference, - but neither will stuff like your helmet, driving gloves etc. BUT WE WEAR THEM JUST IN CASE!!

i think that ABS on a bike would be a very useful tool in an emergency situation, but if you practice your skills and learn proper brake application then you will not need it.

A study by the US auto insurance industry came out last month - 38% less fatalities on bikes with ABS. If you think reducing your chance of dying on a motorcycle by 38% is worth $600, go for it. Studies can mislead, but even with some other factors assumed (type of bike, type of rider with ABS), that is compelling. It's compelling enough that I've been thinking a bit on how I can swap out my otherwise perfectly fine FZ6 for something with ABS. This percentage is similar to fatality reduction wearing helmets (50%?). Most of us wouldn't dream of riding without a helmet. Why don't we think like that on ABS?

Additionally, we had a thread yesterday on people who have done low-speed crashes in parking lots when someone pulled in front of them. They grabbed too much brake and locked the front wheel and went down. I've experienced that myself while practicing quick stops. I locked the front wheel a bit and the bike was totally unstable (but I caught it before going down). It's not an issue of over-rotating a stoppie and flipping. It's an issue of grabbing too much front brake too quickly, locking it, and going down.

I'm starting to develop the opinion that for the risks we take by riding a motorcycle, we should all embrace ABS to minimize some issues. I only wish I was at your point now - simply deciding to spend $600 more on ABS. My decision point is to sell the entire bike and start all over. Way more expensive. Even if it would cost me $2000 - $3000, it would still probably be worth it for that extra safety. Unfortunately, spending that money isn't in the cards now.

Bluenova - Remember a stoppie is something that is done as you gradually add more pressure to the front brake until the rear of the bike is up, it is controlled. In many emergency situations the rider has grabbed too much brake, too fast as the result of their reflexes and the front wheel will lock, uncontrolled. Also the the whole point of ABS is to provide better braking in rain or on any other surfaces that don't provide optimal traction. If I could have bought ABS I would have. Would I have used it yet? Probably not but I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Very inexpensive insurance vs. going down trashing your bike and possibly getting injuried.

The bike ebk71 found looks very nice but given how much it rains in Europe I'd get the ABS.

I am sure that ABS on a bike does bring "Considerable Advantages" but only if you ever need it.

How many times do you honestly need ABS brakes on a car or bike?

I would always say yes to ABS if was an option but I would not turn down a bike I really like just because it does not have ABS.

Steve

I am sure that ABS on a bike does bring \"Considerable Advantages\" but only if you ever need it.

How many times do you honestly need ABS brakes on a car or bike?

Steve

I would say that that describes most any safety equiptment. It's like life insurance... hopefull you never need it. And like life insurance are you willing to die to find out you do need it?

My bike does not have ABS, nor is it offered here. I would not knock the bike due to the lack of ABS, I would however not dismiss ABS if it was an option.

I read all some comments saying something to the effect "if you any good at braking..ABS advantages are lessened." Maybe so... but maybe, just maybe not all of us are expert brakers. In that event, would you still recommend against ABS? If it saved a novice or a panic striken expert in a momentary lapse.

My take is.... ABS is good, ABS can save your life. Don't make the decision on the basis of ego, that "good riders don't need ABS". But there are many bikes on the road without ABS, is certainly a nice to have and if you are an expert rider the value may be lessened. So make your own decision, how important is it to you? How advanced are your skills, what conditions do you plan to ride in (rain, snow, heavy traffic). Don't shun the bike because it lacks ABS, but then again, if you have the means and oportunity to get one with ABS, then go for it.

A study by the US auto insurance industry came out last month - 38% less fatalities on bikes with ABS. If you think reducing your chance of dying on a motorcycle by 38% is worth $600, go for it. Studies can mislead, but even with some other factors assumed (type of bike, type of rider with ABS), that is compelling. It's compelling enough that I've been thinking a bit on how I can swap out my otherwise perfectly fine FZ6 for something with ABS. This percentage is similar to fatality reduction wearing helmets (50%?). Most of us wouldn't dream of riding without a helmet. Why don't we think like that on ABS?

Additionally, we had a thread yesterday on people who have done low-speed crashes in parking lots when someone pulled in front of them. They grabbed too much brake and locked the front wheel and went down. I've experienced that myself while practicing quick stops. I locked the front wheel a bit and the bike was totally unstable (but I caught it before going down). It's not an issue of over-rotating a stoppie and flipping. It's an issue of grabbing too much front brake too quickly, locking it, and going down.

I'm starting to develop the opinion that for the risks we take by riding a motorcycle, we should all embrace ABS to minimize some issues. I only wish I was at your point now - simply deciding to spend $600 more on ABS. My decision point is to sell the entire bike and start all over. Way more expensive. Even if it would cost me $2000 - $3000, it would still probably be worth it for that extra safety. Unfortunately, spending that money isn't in the cards now.

I'm with you. I love the FZ. It's as if this bike was designed just for me. Besides the way it handles under power, I love the way I can move it around when not under power, in and out of my garage, parking space, or otherwise. The lack of ABS as an option tugs at me and I find myself, after nearly 5000 miles since I bought it new in August, contemplating the Honda Interceptor ABS. It's a lot more expensive and nearly a hundred pounds more. Beyond that I believe I'd be pretty bummed if I don't feel as comfortable on it as I do the FZ. For whatever reason I'm not as interested in the different 650 twin cylinders.

ABS is good. ABS is very good. Almost everybody (including those that deny it) will grab the brake lever under extreme panic and lock the wheel. I would prefer an ABS option if I had one. For the record, the ABS saved me from at least 3-4 low speed accidents in the traffic. You have fractions to react, and you will not always react the way you should. We're humans...

But if this is the bike you want, don't turn it down for the absence of the ABS. If you have an option go for it. If not, don't turn this one down.

If I had ABS when I hit a road covered in muck I'd be dead right now, but because I had the bike with NO ABS I was able to control the brakes in the appropriate manner to get the bike to stop.

If you are good with your brakes, it makes absolutely no difference if you have ABS or not. Anyways its just another thing that can go wrong with your bike!

I bought my 07 S2 brand new without ABS. I knew that I wasn't gonna use it as a commuter, and that I wasn't gonna ride it in the rain very often. You'll be fine without it. I put more then 6.000 miles on her so far, and didn't even have to perform an emergency stop yet (and yes I ride night & day, also rush hour traffic, city centers and country side).

Back