Shad 42 side cases -- too big? too good a deal to pass up?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone here running with the Shad 42 side cases?

I'm riding 3-4 days a week commuting 12 miles to/from work, and then 1 day on nice weekends for fun and/or errands.

For this style / type of riding, would Shad 42 side cases be too big? Are they massive on the FZ6?

Reason I'm asking too -- SHAD is selling them + the mounting gear for an FZ6 for $400. Is that a good deal for side cases? It's certainly cheaper than getting SW Motech mounts and then the cases at retail.

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's pics of my blue 07 with 40L Givi's. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...side-rack-installation-pics-e52-e21-e360.html

For just commuting, I'm fine with using only my top case, and it makes the bike a lot easier to move around in the garage. If I'm going to the gym or someplace before/after work, I use the smaller sidecases, as I can lock all my gear in the cases. I only use the larger side cases if I'm going on a ride with my wife, so we can both lock up all our gear in the cases.

So to answer your question, I would think they might be too massive. Plus, if they're not top-loading, it's more of a pain. Does Shad have any deals on topcase mounts?

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have givi v35 cases on mine and leave them on all the time. Most of my riding does not require that much space but I don't even notice they are there. Cost me a fair bit more than $400 for cases with racks.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's pics of my blue 07 with 40L Givi's. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...side-rack-installation-pics-e52-e21-e360.html

For just commuting, I'm fine with using only my top case, and it makes the bike a lot easier to move around in the garage. If I'm going to the gym or someplace before/after work, I use the smaller sidecases, as I can lock all my gear in the cases. I only use the larger side cases if I'm going on a ride with my wife, so we can both lock up all our gear in the cases.

So to answer your question, I would think they might be too massive. Plus, if they're not top-loading, it's more of a pain. Does Shad have any deals on topcase mounts?

The comparison pics were very helpful. The Shad 42 sounds ridiculously large on this bike, based on your Givi 40 pics.

I would probably leave the Shad side cases at home for most commutes unless I expected bad weather. Also, my wife will never ride, so that's not a situation I will have to justify the amount of space I'm seeing on your Givi 40L pics.

It SEEMS like a great deal, but your pics have given me pause.

They did not, btw, have specials on top cases.

How big is that top case again on the back of your FZ6?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have givi v35 cases on mine and leave them on all the time. Most of my riding does not require that much space but I don't even notice they are there. Cost me a fair bit more than $400 for cases with racks.

Yeah -- I thought $400 was a good deal, but not if the cases are huge.

Would love to hear from someone about the quality of the Shad mounting brackets vs., say, SW Motech.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
The comparison pics were very helpful. The Shad 42 sounds ridiculously large on this bike, based on your Givi 40 pics.

I would probably leave the Shad side cases at home for most commutes unless I expected bad weather. Also, my wife will never ride, so that's not a situation I will have to justify the amount of space I'm seeing on your Givi 40L pics.

It SEEMS like a great deal, but your pics have given me pause.

They did not, btw, have specials on top cases.

How big is that top case again on the back of your FZ6?

My top case is a 52L (Givi E52).
It is a good deal though, $400 for both cases and racks - I didn't even know Shad made side racks for the FZ6. But for what you need, I would recommend a top case, and you can definitely do that for <$400.
Rack- Givi Topcase Rack (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'10) - TwistedThrottle.com
Case- Givi E45NJ Junior Economy Monokey Luggage Case (ea) - 45 liters/case - TwistedThrottle.com

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 45L Shad topcase and it's just a right size for the bike. $270 + 120$ fro the bracket/base at Yamaha dearer. You can go with 50L, if money difference is ok with you.

4912749-T600450.jpg

Not really a fen of the sidecases unless I travel. But for a daily commute the top is all you need. Plus it's easyer to maneuver in traffic

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
For your riding, I would get a topcase instead. A big one, >50L, is really all you need. I have an E52 and V35's, the 35's stay off the bike unless I'm taking a trip somewhere for more than a couple days.

Issue with big cases is you inevitably fill them up, which is great in theory, but the extra weight is terribly for handling, especially with the FZ6 marshmallow rear shock.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
For your riding, I would get a topcase instead. A big one, >50L, is really all you need. I have an E52 and V35's, the 35's stay off the bike unless I'm taking a trip somewhere for more than a couple days.

Issue with big cases is you inevitably fill them up, which is great in theory, but the extra weight is terribly for handling, especially with the FZ6 marshmallow rear shock.

I'm leaning towards top,case for general riding / commuting as well.

However, is the 42 case deal with the bracket worth getting while it's there? I have yet to find a full set of used Shad cases and mounts on eBay. Granted, I've not looked around on this forum much for a used set. I would be fine only using them for trips. They just still seem really big for a single rider.

Shad doesn't seem to have their top case mount for the FZ6 in stock at the moment.

Nthdegreeburns

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm leaning towards top,case for general riding / commuting as well.

However, is the 42 case deal with the bracket worth getting while it's there? I have yet to find a full set of used Shad cases and mounts on eBay. Granted, I've not looked around on this forum much for a used set. I would be fine only using them for trips. They just still seem really big for a single rider.

Shad doesn't seem to have their top case mount for the FZ6 in stock at the moment.

Nthdegreeburns

Hard to say, I've never seen Shad cases in person and don't know anyone using them. They could be great, I just don't know. Givi is pretty universal and shouldn't be a big deal to get at around the same price.

$200 for the rack and should be able to find a set of used bags off Craigslist/Kijiji for around $200

rsmnc

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the same Shad cases you are looking at. They are big but I like the storage space. I just got mine installed a couple days ago. I have two brothers exhaust installed and the mounting for the side cases are able to be used with aftermarket exhaust.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the same Shad cases you are looking at. They are big but I like the storage space. I just got mine installed a couple days ago. I have two brothers exhaust installed and the mounting for the side cases are able to be used with aftermarket exhaust.

Are you using then for road trips and removing them for other riding activities?

rsmnc

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you using then for road trips and removing them for other riding activities?

I use my bike mainly to commute back and forth to work. I would probably take them off for other riding activities. Honestly, I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I've only had them on for a couple of days

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you made a decision or can still get that price but I found another forum member that has them They look amazing http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/19744-shad-side-topcase-install-many-pics.html

I have the givi v35s and the top 55L. Looking at those pics in the other thread the shads are gorgeous, very roomy, and cheap. The v35s hold helmets, but not much else, the shads wouldn't have that problem at all. Its also better for weight distribution to have weight in sidecases thats nice and low and not as far behind the rear axle as compared to a big top case.

Here is the thing about cases, I've never said I wanted smaller cases, but thats just me. And if you aren't somewhere where lane splitting is legal, the width shouldn't cause a huge problem.