Order top case separately from side cases?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my 2007 Yamaha FZ6 for commuting right now. I'd like to eventually tour with it some. Just gotta find time to do it with work, first child, etc.

I've been gearing up for commuting -- a new Nelson Rigg touring tank bag, a Xena X14 disc lock / alarm, Tourmaster riding pants, etc. -- but I want to think dual-use utility for the long haul -- commuting and some touring.

The tank bag is great, but if I also carry in a helmet, it's just a lot to walk into the office with along with my messenger bag. Hence, the growing need for a top case.

Biggest question -- can you order and install a top case without getting all the hardware first for side cases? Or are you going to be re-installing the top case rack when you get the side case hardware later?

BTW -- Thoughts on Top Cases

The top and side cases look like a great option if I want some security over soft saddle and tail bags. However, I'm overwhelmed by the Givi pricing, the variety of SW Motech options you have to decide on to order from Twisted Throttle, and the seemingly terrible Shad website.

Is Twisted Throttle going to be the best place to pick up the racks? If I don't go Givi? And how the heck do you order Shad stuff? Their website is terrible.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Givi top case rack first, then added the Givi side case racks later. If you order the top case rack, it will come with everything you need. You won't really be uninstalling the top case rack to add the side racks, but you will be replacing some screws with longer ones.

Here's another site with free shipping, I got my side case racks from them: Givi 351FZ Top case Fitment Kit Rack for the '04-'10 Yamaha FZ-6. - Sport Tour Ltd.

All my Givi cases I've got secondhand on ebay or forums for about 40% off new prices.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...can you order and install a top case without getting all the hardware first for side cases?
I got a Shad top case, then later added Givi side cases, so yes, you can install separately. The Shad top case rack and Givi side case racks do not interfere with each other at all. I don't know what happens if you go with one brand, the top and side case racks may be more dependent on each other.

...I'm overwhelmed by the Givi pricing

I don't recall the prices, but my recollection is that I got the Givi side case racks and a set of the E21 plain, black side cases for something under $400, from SportTour.com. If you get the bigger, fancier cases, the prices go up fast.

...And how the heck do you order Shad stuff? Their website is terrible.

I think I ordered my Shad stuff from CycleLuggage.com. I don't recall any trouble ordering. Installation was, challenging, but I got it on.

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've said this a few times now, the most affordable way to get into Givi luggage is to buy the racks from your local shop and pickup the bags off Kijiji.

When I was looking, I emailed everyone that had a bike with bags to see if they would part them out. A couple weeks later I lucked out. A guy in Calgary was selling his FZ6R and was willing to part out the V35 bags with side racks and a SW-Motech top rack, paid $430 shipped. Sold the two racks for $250, so the bags only ran me $180 and some leg work. Also picked up an E52 top case for $160 off Craigslist. Racks very rarely come up for sale as they're so bike specific, I bit the bullet for both top and side racks and bought them from my local shop. I think they ran me about $200 each.

Hard luggage is one of those things that's really hard to spend the money on, but once you do, you don't know why you waited so long.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Givi top case rack first, then added the Givi side case racks later. If you order the top case rack, it will come with everything you need. You won't really be uninstalling the top case rack to add the side racks, but you will be replacing some screws with longer ones.

Here's another site with free shipping, I got my side case racks from them: Givi 351FZ Top case Fitment Kit Rack for the '04-'10 Yamaha FZ-6. - Sport Tour Ltd.

All my Givi cases I've got secondhand on ebay or forums for about 40% off new prices.

Stupid question -- every site seems to include an option to pick a particular brand of top plate for the top cases. Don't these come with the new top case?

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Monokeys are more rugged than monolocks - monolocks are designed more for scooters. The monokey cases tend to be a little more expensive though.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Monokeys are more rugged than monolocks - monolocks are designed more for scooters. The monokey cases tend to be a little more expensive though.

I've always wondered and just basically Googled it (derp on my part). Sooo glad I didn't invest in Monolock stuff before now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2