Givi Impressions--Install and Versus Shad

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my V35s, PLX360 side racks, Maxia E55 and FZ351 top rack installed last night. Would like to be one of those guys that said took 2 hours end to end, but it took me 8! 4:30 to 12:30 past midnight with a quick dinner break. I believe I spent 2 hours on the side rack support bars that go around the exhaust shield alone! Thanks to user Goker's instructions, I blended the install of the side and top racks. They supplemented the Givi parts list nicely and honestly don't know how anyone installs using only the Givi instructions. I went full Givi because I'll leave the side bags on most of the time for commuting, and I believe a permanent install is more solid and theft proof without having to spend additional $. I drilled through the fender for relocation of the turn signal wires so I didn't have to cut them. There was just enought to comfortably reconnect under the side plate.

Rock solid install. And except for knocking out and not reinstalling the grommets that support the pins inside the rear of the heat shields (my other posst), it was a difficult but perfect install.

V35 impressions and versus Shad 42s. Prefer the V35 bags versus the Shad 42Ls I had on my last 09 FZ6. Though the Shad bags were cavernous, the Givi's are big enough, flow with the bike, have better build quality, a more solid feeling attachment to the bike, and a more solid buckle type closure. And I was surprised, but my Shoei RF1000 size medium fit perfectly in the V35, with no bulging. My medium Scorpion EXO1000 won't even come close to fitting--I think it's the shell size due to integrated sun visor, etc. The cheapest "matte black" givi V35s, while they don't match the deep blue of the bike, do match the frame extraordinarily well. The Shad by contrast had sort of a bow in the outer lid of one of the bags, and while it closed fine, I found some water inside after a good hosing. The Shad had nice color matching plates. Advantage Givi here.

E55 impressions and versus Shad 52L. I own a Shad 52L and moved it from my last 09 FZ6. Just moved it over to my ST1300 and bought a red top plate for it, which matches my 09 ST1300 pretty well. The Givi, which I got in the standard black with silver trim is much lighter than the Shad and almost exactly the same size despite being 3 liters bigger. I wish now I had gotten the all blacked out version as I think it would match the V35s better. I believe the interior size comes at the expense of thickness of its construction. The Shad feels better constructed in every way, closes very positively with little effort, and has worked like new for a couple of years with frequent use. The Givi looks nicer and I appreciate it's lighter weight on this bike. Closing the lid and attaching to the bike however take an incredible push. So much that I feel I need to compress using both hands in opposite directions so I don't tip the bike. The Givi overall install when I move it up and down gives more flex than the Shad install, giving the Shad a more solid feeling. The Givi however I believe has a 22 lb. carry rating, and while I don't remember the Shad's I believe it is less. In practice I've regularly loaded the Shad to 25 lbs or more with no problem (despite too the ST1300's warning of a 10 lb limit on it's luggage rack!). Advantage Shad here.

One reason I ditched my last 09 FZ6 is I regularly carry alot of stuff to defensive pistol matches. Even EMPTY, the full Shad setup introduced a head shake on the bike that if I took my hands off completely soon became a tank slapper. Loading heavy made this worse. So far, with all empty Givi setup--no head shake. I know many conditions can contribute, and while it is the same bike there could have been a tire difference or problem, etc. But it didn't start until after the Shad install. The Givi install--both topcase and sides sits further forward. I believe this helps prevent head shake. I'll load them up tomorrow for a trip to work and see if anything changes. Generally I'll just run the side cases except when loading for a trip to shoot though. I run the stock setup and settings and keep about 44 in the tires. Advantage Givi on weights and balances.

I'll try to post pics later, but there are a couple pics with my same setup already out there.

Edited to add: I would like someone to invent please a Shad mounting plate that fits the Givi toprack. Also, I would like a passenger backrest that is adjustable and mounts into the Shad monokey plate, with the same quick release of course. Thanks.

Last edited:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
If you didn't use blue loctite on every bolt, time to take it back apart and do it again. Only takes a few minutes to do now that you have everything lined up.

Last thing you want is something vibrating free while you're going down the road. No nylon locking nuts in the Givi kit.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
If you didn't use blue loctite on every bolt, time to take it back apart and do it again. Only takes a few minutes to do now that you have everything lined up.

Last thing you want is something vibrating free while you're going down the road. No nylon locking nuts in the Givi kit.

Thanks. There were locking nuts I believe on the side racks down at the passenger peg. I used blue threadlocker on the under fender bolts, the large bolts holding the side racks and at the fender (license plate) attachment. But I didn't use it under the exhaust cover in the frame tube-end expander bolts (!!). I may be taking back apart to reinstall the muffler grommets that came out, in which case I'll use loctite everywhere....

amanlisman

Reaction score
Visit site
Have the same V35 side cases on mine. Used them this summer (see my France trip post for photos) for first time and honestly, I can't find fault with them. Learnt that it's not a good idea to forget they're there though, with a few bumps off posts and cars. They quickly didn't look brand new :( Also discovered they're not so good if you want to beat the traffic.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Do need to add another impression--not good--of the V35s after first use. I did NOT place anything on the bag lids while they were open, but 3 of the 8 teeny tiny screws that hold the two lid straps per bag on, came out. The screws were too narrow and too short--they didn't have a chance. I had some better ones lying around and replaced 6 of them. Will worry about the other 2 later.