Setting the idle low

Is it OK to set the idle low?

• Heck yea! How lowwww can you go?

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes but at your own risk... keep in mind the stall safety factor

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • NO! DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!1!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Not really. But I'm just saying this because it goes against the manual.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any detrimental effect to setting the idle low? Having a motor turning at 1,300 rpm when it can be turning at 900-1,000 bothers me. It's wastes fuel, harms the environment more, and adds unnecessary vibration.

My *assumption* is that, even though the engine will purr fine at sub 1,000 rpm, the manufacturer recommends it set higher to prevent stalls off the line and throttle blips.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm not sure if this makes a differences but the higher rpm's could help with oil pressure and coolant circulation. Maybe even a bit higher electrical voltage that could lessen the draw on the battery.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I am interested in this as well. My fz idles at 1000rpm; it was set this way when I bought it 2nd hand.

So far it's been running fine, but I do need to give it a bit more gas when taking off compared to other bikes. Might simply be a question of getting used to it in the end.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe one of the major dangers setting the idle below spec (apart from the propensity for the bike to stall) is the cam chain.

The cam chain slops around a bit, as there is a distinct gap between the cylinders firing that the cam chain adjuster can't catch in time.

Drastically increases wear on the guides, chain and gear.

Or, at least that's what I've heard....

Remember, the Fizzer has an R6 motor, albeit tuned differently, so it is MADE to idle higher - coming from a more industrial machine, it might seem high - but no doubt Yamaha knew what they were saying when they printed the manual.

Cheers,
Rick

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
All I can say is that manufactures actually do some research before setting up specifications for engines. I personally think I will stick with what they say. :thumbup: No offense meant.

Marc

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine set at 1,000 for the reasons you mention, it idles smoother, sounds better, can see thru the mirrors at idle (W/O vibration), etc.

I do know checking the voltage at the battery (with the BD43 mod) the battery is NOT charging at 1,000 RPM (check your with a voltmeter before starting/then after idleing). Raising the idle to 1300RPM gets it to a break even/slight charge.

I don't sit often or long so its not an issue for me. My old FJR had the same set up cam chain tensioner, etc, the standard idle speed was 1,000-1,100 RPM but that bike was charging at idle and likely had a slightly longer chain..

Its been set that low for at least 3 years, no issues. Mobile one full synthetic oil, (MC specific 4t), K&P oil filter/cooler, the engine is quiet as a mouse at idle, no ticks, clicks, etc, (and is rock steady), no throttle hesitation ANYWHERE.... I do use Seafoam on a regular basis as well (preventive maintainance), regular fuel which also it seems to run best on. I found, on premium fuel the idle lowered just ever so slightly on its own...

I bought the bike used from a friend, his son's first bike, so it was somewhat abused/not maintained early in its life with a new rider "learning the stock, short, clutch action"..

IMHO, if sitting in traffic a bit, keep the idle raised

Last edited:

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the charging capacity might decrease with a lower idle, which is not good for the electric device on the bike. Put it in another way, low voltage due to lower idle speed will incur high current for the same device. So it is better to stick to the spec. and it costs you only 1 min. use of a screwdriver.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with iSteve here. Oil pressure at idle might be your biggest concern. Not saying it can't... just saying it's better if it idle to spec at 1300 RPM. The oil pump is mechanical, so the more RPM the more pressure it built. It is usually regulated (max psi) by a spring loaded piston/bypass. The only thing that regulate minimum psi is idle.

So I'll let you draw your own conclusion, mine is set at 1300...

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Used to have it around 1000rpm. Turned it up to around 1300rpm and the bike is much better. Easier acceleration , runs smoother and first to second gear doesn't make that awful clicking noise anymore. In the manual it says from 1250-1350rpm. My cousins cb600 runs 1400rpm idle and when in first gear at 1600rpm.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Used to have it around 1000rpm. Turned it up to around 1300rpm and the bike is much better. Easier acceleration , runs smoother and first to second gear doesn't make that awful clicking noise anymore. In the manual it says from 1250-1350rpm.

Pretty much the same here. I did run mine at 1000rpm for a while but find that it's just a much nicer bike to ride when the idle is set to 1350rpm

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are many reasons companies specify a specific idle speed. Oil pressure, coolant flow, manifold vacuum, etc. Setting it to 1000 rpm is not likely going to cause any harm. Yamaha may have decided the 1250-1350 range is the minimum to get decent intake air swirl to get complete combustion. The fuel difference needed to maintain a 300 rpm increse in idle speed is minimal. When the engine is runing and the bike stationary, you are getting 0 mpg anyway, so a few hundred RPM is meaningless from a fuel consumption standpoint.

Since these bikes (well, stock ones anyway) came with catalytic converters, there may be emissions reasons too for the specified idle speed.

Any way, I have mine at 1100-1200. I just picked where it idled the smoothest.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had my Fz for 3 weeks but just turned the idle up and it's a lot better. Clutching in traffic and up/down shifts. It was idling at exactly 1000 before.

How do you guys know you're at 1100,1200,1300rpm, etc? I just eyeballed and tried to get the needle between the 1000 and 1500rpm hash marks haha

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying 1300 rpm's and I had the same question when I bought my 08 FZ6 just last weekend. I asked my local Yamaha dealer what's spec - they said 900-1250, so why does everyone keep saying 1300? Mine was set at 1000, I turned it up to about 1200 and it seems to run a little better (seems not to heat up as fast at stop lights) and it's in spec range according to Yamaha. Is there a "exact" idle speed thats best for this motor?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying 1300 rpm's and I had the same question when I bought my 08 FZ6 just last weekend. I asked my local Yamaha dealer what's spec - they said 900-1250, so why does everyone keep saying 1300? Mine was set at 1000, I turned it up to about 1200 and it seems to run a little better (seems not to heat up as fast at stop lights) and it's in spec range according to Yamaha. Is there a "exact" idle speed thats best for this motor?

I was just going to post reference to what you partially did.

Mine IS set at 1,000RPM's and has been for several years so I'm used to how quick the engine heats up, running temps, etc...

While sitting at a light last night (2-3 minutes), I held the throttle at about 1,300 and the temp seemed to rise faster than at 1,000 RPM's, not alot, but noticable...

IMHO, seems the slightly extra heat beats out the slightly additional coolant flow.

Others with a lower set idle, when thinking about it, may try this..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you looking to achieve by setting it lower? 300 rpms of difference at idle is not going to make a measurable fuel economy difference and running at too low rpm can actually cause lubrication issues if the oil pressure system was designed for 1200 rpm.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was around 1000 when I picked it brand new. I ran that way for a few years, than raised it to 1300 and hated it. I use the engine for braking and I felt like I couldn't stop! I know I can use the brakes, but that's what I got used to on the FZ6, turned it back down, but maybe I'll try 1100 for lubrication reasons, you've got me worried now, thanks:Flip:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you looking to achieve by setting it lower? 300 rpms of difference at idle is not going to make a measurable fuel economy difference and running at too low rpm can actually cause lubrication issues if the oil pressure system was designed for 1200 rpm.

My engine idles smoother at 1,000 RPM's than 1,300 RPM's and I can actually see thru the mirrors while stopped.... And yes, the TB's are sync'ed within 3 mm's across the board. As for any fuel economy issues, I couldn't care less and it would be just about negligible. Shifting into first is slightly smoother as your gear box shafts are turning slightly slower as well... I've never had a problem with stalling and actually prefer the shorter engagement zone which makes for quicker shifts. Been that way since 2009 and the bike runs like a raped ape...

Besides, slightly more engine braking, IMHO, I like the way it sounds .. I run a K&P oil filter that flows considerable more oil than a conventional filter at a much lower PSI so I'm not concerned about lack of oiling...

If your not comfy with it, raise it to 1300...

The original poster asked for opinions, nobody is making you do anything...

Just the pro's and con's... :thumbup:

Last edited:

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site

Taken from the manual, here is what it says, so your Yamaha dealer must not be well informed.:thumbup:

Idling condition
Engine idling speed 1250–1350 r/min
Intake vacuum 29.0 kPa (8.6 inHg) (218 mmHg)
Water temperature 95.0–105.0 °C (203.00–221.00 °F)
Oil temperature 75.0–85.0 °C (167.00–185.00 °F)
Throttle cable free play 3.0–5.0 mm (0.12–0.20 in)