Setting the idle low

Is it OK to set the idle low?

• Heck yea! How lowwww can you go?

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes but at your own risk... keep in mind the stall safety factor

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • NO! DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!1!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Not really. But I'm just saying this because it goes against the manual.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My engine idles smoother at 1,000 RPM's than 1,300 RPM's and I can actually see thru the mirrors while stopped.... And yes, the TB's are sync'ed within 3 mm's across the board. As for any fuel economy issues, I couldn't care less and it would be just about negligible. Shifting into first is slightly smoother as your gear box shafts are turning slightly slower as well... I've never had a problem with stalling and actually prefer the shorter engagement zone which makes for quicker shifts. Been that way since 2009 and the bike runs like a raped ape...

Besides, slightly more engine braking, IMHO, I like the way it sounds .. I run a K&P oil filter that flows considerable more oil than a conventional filter at a much lower PSI so I'm not concerned about lack of oiling...

If your not comfy with it, raise it to 1300...

The original poster asked for opinions, nobody is making you do anything...

Just the pro's and con's... :thumbup:

I was just asking the OP what the end-goal was of setting the idle to a lower RPM. If the answers is like you mentioned; a smoother running, riding bike then more power to you. My bike idles once warm around 1150 rpms and I've never felt the need to change it.