Sena SMH-5 Intercom System Previewed

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sena has been busy and the new SMH-5 provides many features of the SMH-10 at a lower price.

More...

Interesting, have been looking for a headset for use with my phone on trips and to listen to music while riding. Anyone have experience using this or similar device? How well do they work particularly in a full face helmet like a Shoe RF1100 (another item on my shopping list).

Thanks

I have an SMH10 fitted to my X-11. I wear earplugs all the time, but can still crank this up high enough to hear music. I am told that music is audible until well over the posted speed limit. Works perfectly with my iPhone 4.

To be honest I've had it since Christmas, but still haven't had the need to make or take a call !!

Just bought one from Perth - $129 with free express shipping (single unit, double unit is $249)

So, I'll get it next week and let you all know what they're like!

Cheers,
Rick

I've been waiting for someone to test this out. Look forward to hearing your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the SMH-10, and it has worked great for the last year. People cannot even tell that I am riding when they call. It cuts out the background noise. I never used my SMH-10 as an intercom, between bike riders, but I use it for listening to music and answer calls--I'm totally pleased with it.

I should mention I wear a full face helmet

Last edited:
We have the SMH-10 - in love with it :D Great for music, great for intercom. Mike uses it as a phone with no problems. I won't....

I meant I am looking forward to hearing about the cheaper SMH5. I am hoping it's halfway decent so I can save about $50 over the SMH10. I just don't want to spend $180 if the 5 is about as good! :)
I have heard nothing but good about the SMH10 but would like to save some $$$$$!

I meant I am looking forward to hearing about the cheaper SMH5

From what I've read, it's better and worse than the SMH10.

The SMH5 has less intercom range (400m vs 900m) between riders and has less talk (8hrs vs 12hrs) & standby time (7days vs 10days), can not 'call conference' and seemingly is restricted to one intercom connection.

To balance that up, however, the SMH5 is smaller, uses BT v3, so makes more efficient use of it's battery and it allegedly has better sound quality (but that could just be marketing speak for it's the same!)

If the lesser distance between riders doesn't affect you, then the fact you can get a single unit for $129 inc shipping, here in Oz, makes it a very attractive proposition. ($249 for the dual pack)

I have a Shark Evoline Series 2 ST helmet, so it'll be nice to see how it integrates, but I don't foresee any issues as the ST, stands for SharkTooth capable. (Shark's BT offering)

But, when I get it, I'll post my impressions going to and from work - from speeds up to 110km/h on the freeway, to 60km/h in town.

I wont be able to test the intercom feature, unless I speak nicely to The Wolfman and get him to come riding with me! (I'm only getting the single unit)

As to that, I wonder if the intercom feature might work to a mobile phone? Maybe my missus could follow me in the car, perhaps...

Cheers,
Rick

Just a little update.

I paid for the SMH5 Friday afternoon.

It apparently arrived at Mt Barker post office Monday.

Tuesday I went to the post office to collect another item, but the assistant didn't get my other package. (they of course were apparently right next to each other)

Tuesday evening, I received an email notification saying I have a package waiting since the 2nd.

I went in today and collected it.

Not bad for free shipping! (Mt Barker post office, on the other hand are pitiful....)

So, the blessed thing is on charge. I have fitted the mic boom and speakers to the Evoline 2 ST and it was a piece of cake.

Just waiting for the unit to charge, so I can play with it whilst at work! (working 'til 0600 tomorrow, then back 0600-1800 Friday, and I work 0600-1800 Monday too!)

Hopefully the weather is nice for a casual ride on Sat or Sun!

WOOT WOOT!

Cheers,
Rick

Edit: Just made my first call, to my wife, and it works fine! (except there is me in the office at work with my helmet on, talking to myself!)

Last edited:
There is a good review on revzilla.com of all the bluetooth options currently available.

Hey Rick, how did it go with the unit?
I'm thinking about getting one to use on my Shark Vision-R as the prices seems right.
The Vision'R is also designed to be used with the SharkTooth (has a little pocket at the back of the helmet for the battery) but don't know how well will it accommodate the Sena.
Now that you've had it for a few months, how is the volume/noise on it?

Sorry for the late reply, just saw your post.

I use the SMH5 nearly every day (well, every day I'm on my bike anyway!) and I seriously don't know how I lived without it!

Call volume and clarity is excellent. The person on the other end seriously doesn't even know you're on a bike!

My Shark Evoline2 ST helmet also has that little notch for the battery compartment, but you don't use it.

The Sena unit attaches on the side of the helmet and the speakers sit in their respective spaces. The SHARKTOOTH system apparently needs the battery compartment, but the Sena unit doesn't.

I have just recommended my best friend get the Sena SMH5, as he's just got his first bike, I am that happy with it.

Cheers,
Rick

Back