securing bike in pickup by motormounts

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I've checked into the other threads about trailering, securing in pickup, blah., etc........ I have a wheel chock bolted to the floor of my truck bed for the front tire and want to tie the bike down from the frame motormounts instead of the usual handlebar spot.Just preference. Ok to use the frame motormounts as a tie down spot?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't answer your question, as I've never tried to do it that way, but I'm just curious.. why motor mounts and not handlebar? Securing bike from tallest point = most stable approach (can also use triple tree/fork legs, but fairing may get in the way) and it's got to be much easier to compress the fork when using straps on the handlebar vs motor mounts.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Not only does using the frame/engine as a tie down not give you as much leverage.... more importantly, it doesn't keep the wheel from turning. I wouldn't trust just a wheel chock. Especially when there is no benefit to using the frame to tie it down. You're still going to compress the suspension. Use the triple tree. The fairing doesn't get in the way. You might rub up against the front turn signal stalks, but they're flexible. Here is my post from another thread on this subject:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36399-how-tie-down-fz6.html

Real simple. Just did this last May. Ride the bike straight into the bed. Put the front tire up against the front of the bed. Put it in gear and hit the kill switch. Let the clutch out. You can even drop the clutch and stall it in that position if you really want to be anal about it. I just didn't want to start my relationship with the FZ6 on a sour note.

Hopefully you'll have a friend along. Stay seated on the bike to keep some compression in the suspension. Have your friend secure a ratchet tie-down to each of fork, right at the lower part of the triple tree. Don't ratchet them much at all, because you're already compressing the suspension. It's better to use your weight and not ratchet much than it is to just ratchet until it seems tight enough. It's too easy to overdo it and ruin your fork seals. Trust me, I did this years ago with an old bike.

Then secure the rear via the passenger pegs mount. The rear isn't too important. The front tie downs keep the bike pressed firmly against the bed and won't allow the wheel to turn. All the rear has to do is help keep the back of the bike straight. You don't even need to tie down the rear, but I would do it just in case you have to brake hard or make an emergency maneuver while transporting it.

You'll have to leave the tailgate down, but don't worry. I drove mine 100 miles on bumpy PA highways and the interstate. It was rock solid. I didn't even stop to check on it as I had planned.

Also, talk to whomever you're getting the bike from ahead of time. Odds are, they'll know exactly what to do. See if there's an incline nearby and back the truck up to it so it's less of a climb up the ramp. Enjoy your bike, and be safe my friend!

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I send the suggestion about not compressing the suspension too much. I blew out the fork seals on my first bike being stupid and cranking on the tie downs too much.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I send the suggestion about not compressing the suspension too much. I blew out the fork seals on my first bike being stupid and cranking on the tie downs too much.

The seals must have been in really bad shape to blow out just from compressing the fork. This should not ever happen if everything is in good shape.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW

I've logged thousands of trouble-free miles with my FZ6 in the back of my old Tacoma using the frame as the tie down point. I've even had 2 FZ6's in the back of my truck on more than one occasion. You can lock the steering column and put the front tire against the back of the bed.

The handlebar method was a PITA and I was always worried about bending the bars and too cheap to waste money on a canyon dancer.

YMMV

3050720112_95a5fe1a07_o.jpg