How to secure bike in pickup truck?

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm picking up a bike this weekend and all I have is access to a pickup truck. All the examples I see online show strapping points from the top of the bike but i wonder what keeps the tires from sliding out sideways and falling over?? Unfortunately the truck only has rings on the top 4 corners of the bed sides, nothing of the bed floor. Not securing the wheels from sideways motion seems sketchy to me. Am I wrong? I don't have time to get any equipment to I'm hoping someone knows how to do this with straps only

Thanks!

TopPud

-Matt-
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use my truck to heal my bike. I only have 4 steak pockets as well. It's a 6'6" bed. I use two straps that have loops on both ends that are pry about 2ft long just for bikes. You put the loops around the grips then use a regular strap to tie down to the steak pocket. Have someone Compress the shocks down to secure it. Then one strap from the back steak pocket through the tire rim to the other back steak pocket. and wala ur done! Move the bike sideways in the rear.. Corner to corner if you know what I mean and u can even get the tail gate up. Hope I helped! Good luck!

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
This is how I hauled mine. Stayed rock solid for the 3-4 hour ride home.

IMG_20120309_181616.jpg

Since you have to strap it do the top of the box, I'd strap it from the handlebars and the passenger hand rails. That should still get the suspension to compress. You don't need to compress the front and rear all the way down, but enough to keep the straps tight. I didn't have an issue with the wheels sliding or turning at all. I also didn't put it in at an angle, it was straight in the center of the box.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I just don't see what keeps the tires from slipping to one side. Simple downward force? I'm not convinced. I know it would take a degree of force but I still see it as a possibility. I'm low on time but maybe I can screw a couple 2x4's to a sheet of plywood and lie that in the bed.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Simple downward force?

Basically, yes. So long as the truck box is clean of debris and oils, the tires won't slide. Also, trucks usually have slightly raised parts in the bed floor (whatever the technical name is), which aid in this. But ultimately, do what makes you comfortable.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
most people like to use a wheel chock to keep it in place.
0000-Condor-Pit-Stop-Trailer-Stop-Wheel-Chock---.jpg

If you don't have one or do not want to buy one then you will need to think of some other way to secure the wheel. One thought would be to turn it so the wheel is in the corner of the bed, but trying to tie it down after that may be a problem.

Another thought is if you have access to some 2x4's or other lumber you could do something like this.
DSCN0692.JPG

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Just be careful with loading it up and don't be like these guys...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxw_q3Zo7so]Guy loading a sportbike onto the truck fail - YouTube[/ame]

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
Opposing forces keep it upright & prevent the tires from slipping out from underneath, if tied down correctly--even without a wheel chock. I have done it both the right way and the wrong way.........guess which way was first?

Basically, 2 loops in the front pulling to opposite corners of the truck bed and two in the rear doing the same will guarantee your bike is still upright when you get home.

Take a tie-down strap and loop it up and around the triple-tree/handlebars and back to the same corner. Repeat for the other corner in the front, then for each corner in the rear. Just don't pull TOO tight such that you bend/snap anything. What you end up with is roughly equal forces pulling in 4 directions at the same time, so there is basically no movement until you release the tension in the straps.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a handlebar strap that lets you use standard ratchet ties without scratching the paint. i usually chock the wheel too. usually i only load the dirtbikes in the trukk but we've loaded the old man's Beemer up a couple times.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Opposing forces keep it upright & prevent the tires from slipping out from underneath, if tied down correctly--even without a wheel chock. I have done it both the right way and the wrong way.........guess which way was first?

Basically, 2 loops in the front pulling to opposite corners of the truck bed and two in the rear doing the same will guarantee your bike is still upright when you get home.

Take a tie-down strap and loop it up and around the triple-tree/handlebars and back to the same corner. Repeat for the other corner in the front, then for each corner in the rear. Just don't pull TOO tight such that you bend/snap anything. What you end up with is roughly equal forces pulling in 4 directions at the same time, so there is basically no movement until you release the tension in the straps.

When my bike was shipped to me it was just with 4 ratchet straps, 2 in the front like described above around the fork and triple tree. Then 2 straps on the rear hangers. Just try to avoid hitting any jumps or whoopti-oops on the way back and you should be good.

jecon462

Reaction score
Visit site
I simply put the side stand down and tie down from the handle bars, 1 strap from each side to the lower hooks in my bed. I don't even tie the back down and never had a problem.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. Although, I've usually seen it spelled stake pockets, but with the names of parts, who knows?

I use canyon dancer straps. They work great.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
It's stake pockets, just to clear that up!

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

Idea is the same for a pickup. You won't need a wheel chock for it to be secure either.

I've hauled so much either in the trailer on the bed of my truck and have never had my bikes fall over.

my FZ6 is in the trailer every weekend, for about 8 hours round trip and it's totally fine!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I simply put the side stand down and tie down from the handle bars, 1 strap from each side to the lower hooks in my bed. I don't even tie the back down and never had a problem.

I had my bike hauled to the shop last week by a "pro" towing service, and that's what they did; just make sure the front tire is up against the front of the bed.

Now, what is the proper method of using one of those ramps? I'd feel safer riding it up the ramp than "running" it like Doofus did, but just barely; nor would I feel safe walking it up with 3 or 4 helpers... :confused:

jecon462

Reaction score
Visit site
If I have a wide enough ramp and feel comfortable I will slowly ride it up or I will start it, put it in 1st and use the motor as I walk next to it. Important to know you can either make the jump into the bed or have something to step up with lol