• Fix the tire (patch and plug)

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • New tire

Votes: 47 47.0%

• Total voters

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a nail in the rear tire not long after I bought the FZ6. The tire had a good bit of tread left and the nail was not quite in the center. The tire was the the original tire and was 5 years old so just replaced it with a Michelin Road 2 - made a good justification with the Mrs who wasn't too happy with the new bike. If the tire was new I might have been tempted to patch/plug. I agree with the others that say if you ride fast or aggressively it is better to buy a new tire.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If its got good tread left then Plug it.

Just to keep the debate even and indecisive lol.

Nelly:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A post up there implied they plugged and patched a tire. Not likely as the plug is not a flush install and protrudes inside which does not booed well with a patch install.

I definitely would not exercise the speed rating of a repaired tire and would likely place more stock in a properly installed patch than a plug.

The reason; a bad plug install can allow air into the plies and cause separation especially if done in the COLD MONTHS where heat is not induced into the tire during its first use. Getting the tire hot helps cure the plug and seal the smallest of imperfections.

Would I do it to get home? yes.

What are your thoughts on Punctures & gouges which don't leak? Should they be patched?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A post up there implied they plugged and patched a tire. Not likely as the plug is not a flush install and protrudes inside which does not booed well with a patch install.

I think some are confusing a "plug patch" with a "plug" then a "patch". When I worked in an auto shop and had all the tools available to me I never plugged a tire. For small repairs (the majority of the time) I would just use a patch. For larger holes, like if a bolt or one time a cat's legbone caused a puncture, I would use a plug patch, which is a patch with a plug standing off the center of it, to fill the hole.

But a "plug patch" isn't a "plug" then a "patch".

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think some are confusing a "plug patch" with a "plug" then a "patch". When I worked in an auto shop and had all the tools available to me I never plugged a tire. For small repairs (the majority of the time) I would just use a patch. For larger holes, like if a bolt or one time a cat's legbone caused a puncture, I would use a plug patch, which is a patch with a plug standing off the center of it, to fill the hole.

But a "plug patch" isn't a "plug" then a "patch".

The same as in post #18?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We're supposed to read the details on the box? :don'tknow: :confused:
:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter to me if you read the details, its your money/life..

Besides confirming what Chemiker posted, (which I posted earlier and he went a little deeper into), I posted an alternative to either a patch OR a plug...

Last edited:

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a nail in a fairly new rear tyre the day before a track day... My dealerhsip plugged it (I know nothing of plugs/patches/plugpatches) using some kind of bonding agent they said "becomes one with the rubber". Assured me that it would withstand track abuse - I had no problems at all.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
a patch from the inside is the way to go if you have the time to take it off the bike and have a shop do it... structurally it wont harm the aspects of the tire... if there is still enough life left in the tire to you then go for it....

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK you can't plug ZR rated tyres (ie the PR2's etc).

This is because it doesn't live up to british standards and tyres have to be fixed to a certain standard. Purely because ZR tyres are rated. That is the tyre will work correctly up to 190mph at constant running.

You can legally plug W rated tyres which are rated to 270kph or 167mph

so i figure its safe to plug ZR because your tyre won't get near those speeds but they can't be plugged because they are rated at 190mph constant but our bikes will only ever "hit" W rated speeds anyway.

Mine was plugged last month after having 500miles on a new PR2 back tyre in centre tread. Motorbike mechanic did it for me but said he can't give me a receipt

Last edited:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding of a motorcycle tire plug is that they are intended to get you to your home or a nearby shop, so you can replace the damaged tire.

Take the wheel/tire off and take it in to a shop, most will mount and balance a tire on a loose wheel for 30 bucks.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd patch it. I don't trust a plug only but if you patch it from the inside it will be just fine...I just wouldn't take that tire over about 75 mph again if I were you.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always plugged my tires and no problems at all.

for the records my local streets just allow for pretty short 180km/h runs and I don't do track days because there is not track near me.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
If its a decenty size screw, for piece of mind, I would replace it. Last year I got a large screw in my rear tire, pretty close to center so the kind of thing you could fix. I had the tire removed and a plug/patch inserted. After riding for about 1K miles, the plug/patch came out and I lost pressure while on the highway.

Almost immediately the rear felt unstable and the bike was "unresponsive" to normal steering input. Pulled off the highway to see that the plug was gone. I got lucky, but it could have been a lot worse.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've plugged my tire as recent as a month ago due to a nail. I've used a plug kit that I originally purchased for long overnight trips from Cycle Gear. Used it first on my leased SUV and never had any problem even after driving over 1000 miles on it. My tires have alot of miles on it (11,000 miles) with the wears bars coming close to the surface. I always check the plug before, during breaks and after each ride making sure that my tire pressure is constant and that the plug is still intact. I am looking at Competition Accessories for their deal on Continental Conti Motion tires for about $183 shipped as my replacement but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. I might buy it this week though, considering I've gotten my money's worth with the BT 023's.

Ares

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Installation of the patch inside is critical as the inside of the tire is not smooth and showed "ribs" if you would, not allowing a flat surface for the patch to adhere to.

I used the "Steelman" combo patch / plug on the rear Bridgestone tire on my FJR. The screw was about dead center on the tire.

I had the shop remove the tire from the rim, brought my cordless drill, small grinding bit for flat surfaces (and misc tools). Ground down just enough of the rib to make it smooth enought for a patch. No cords/steel was showing (prior to my patching). The tire then had the patch-plug applied using the supplied glue. It obvously vulcanized/took to the tire inside and I had the tire re-installed. It did need re-balancing BTW. Its been fine ever since, no leaks. Rarely do I go over 100MPH.

If the inside the tire wasn't prepped properly/glue applied and allowed to set up, the patch inside would likely fail as yours did (Ebster1085).

Last edited:

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a screw in my brand new Continental Contimotions 2 weeks after I put them on....plugged 'em. No harm in it, although if it was the middle of the tread I'd think a little harder. Good thing I got the tires for $150 (yes, both front and back).

And Steelman is my last name....seriously, I recommend that patch :rockon: