scanning your keys for emergencies

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, i did use the search feature but noticed the last post date after posting. Can any USA member confirm if the number under the cap is the same? I found a 4 digit number. Stamped under the gas cap but dont have the plate to confirm.

I don't have a tag for the FZ (bought it used) but do for my 04 FJR.

For the FJR, they are NOT THE SAME #'s...

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
time to dust off this gem:

threadDigger.jpg

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
... Can any USA member confirm if the number under the cap is the same? I found a 4 digit number. Stamped under the gas cap but dont have the plate to confirm.

The number on the metal tag that came with my 2009 is in the form "A1234" Nothing like that under the gas cap or anywhere on the bike that I could find. The dealer did make a note of that number on the sales receipt. Maybe Yamaha can match up your VIN with the key number -- call your friendly, neighborhood Yamaha dealer and see if they can help.

... If there is one (later model vehicles have started to do away with this), then you could just copy the number from the bottom of the gas cap...

But you have a 2005, so there may be hope if someone with a 2004-2006 series bike can verify.

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Most dealers do not have the capability to make a new key from the code, so I wouldn't rely on this in an emergency. If you need a copy a dealer can order one with the code but that will take some time. How many times are you really going to lose your key? In 40+ years of riding/driving I've never been stranded without a key (and never locked a key in the vehicle by mistake either). I think it is a pretty small potential problem. I keep the spare key at home, along with the metal tag, but I'm not going to worry about losing a key on the road. If you are a long, long way from home throw a spare key in your luggage if it will make you sleep better. But if I'm out for the day I'm not worrying about it.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the simplest solutions are not always obvious. Head to the hardware store or locksmith and get a couple copies made, if that is your goal. The US FZ6 key is simple enough, very similar to my Subaru key, and has no chip, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Most dealers do not have the capability to make a new key from the code, so I wouldn't rely on this in an emergency. If you need a copy a dealer can order one with the code but that will take some time. How many times are you really going to lose your key? In 40+ years of riding/driving I've never been stranded without a key (and never locked a key in the vehicle by mistake either). I think it is a pretty small potential problem. I keep the spare key at home, along with the metal tag, but I'm not going to worry about losing a key on the road. If you are a long, long way from home throw a spare key in your luggage if it will make you sleep better. But if I'm out for the day I'm not worrying about it.

I haven't tried it with my FZ (since I didn't get the metal tag, either), but my local Toyota dealer was able to look up the key code for my truck (5 digit number, like what comes on the metal tag) using the VIN. They also can't cut keys, but they tell me if I take that number to a locksmith, they can cut a new key from it. I'll have to try next week, the copies I've had made for my truck from other keys don't work too well.

FWIW, I have a copy of my FZ's key in my wallet.