scanning your keys for emergencies

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
This guy had a locksmith make new keys for him using a scanned image of his car keys. It may be a good idea to scan our bike keys (and car keys, for that matter) is case we need extras made. It takes only a few minutes, and may come in handy someday! A good way to back the image up is to email it to yourself (your gmail account will be around forever, your harddrive --who knows).

lifehacker

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of scary. I don't think I'll take that advice. I wouldn't want my computer or my email to get hacked with an image of my key in it. Forget my identity, they could get my bike! Just do what most poeple do and keep a spare key somewhere safe...like a safe deposit box (highly recommended; saved me a few times).

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
A simpler suggestion:

When you got your FZ6, the spare key should have come with an extra little bit of metal on the ring with a number on it. Write the number down on your manual cover or something else you won't lose...maybe tattoo it onto your forehead in reverse so you can read it in the mirror? ;)

If you lose both your keys, you can take that number to your dealer, who can verify that you own the bike and have another key made for you...at least, that's what mine told me.

pml1967

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think using a scanned image of the key would work in a lot of cases anyway. Doesn't the FZ6 S2 have a chip in the key to disable the immobiliser? I know an awful lot of cars do, not sure about other variants of the FZ6. Just having a key that fits and turns the lock won't necessarily allow you to start the engine.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think using a scanned image of the key would work in a lot of cases anyway. Doesn't the FZ6 S2 have a chip in the key to disable the immobiliser? I know an awful lot of cars do, not sure about other variants of the FZ6. Just having a key that fits and turns the lock won't necessarily allow you to start the engine.

+1 on the transponder, a cut key will only unlock the ignition and seat. Without the “red” key, not even the dealer will be able to help you. The red key holds the code.

FZ6-ZN

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the transponder, a cut key will only unlock the ignition and seat. Without the “red” key, not even the dealer will be able to help you. The red key holds the code.

FZ6-ZN

Ah man, every other country gets all the cool stuff; ABS, naked versions, immobilizer, cool colors et cetera.:(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ6-ZN
The American bikes have a different ignition to us (for some reason) they don't have the immobiliser like we have.
Is that because the UK, Europe and SA have more bike thefts? I don't know.
I had a complete ignition harness and keys priced when I got my bike and was told £800.00.
If we lose the red key we are screwed.

Nelly

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah man, every other country gets all the cool stuff; ABS, naked versions, immobilizer, cool colors et cetera.:(

I don't think my 2006 FZ6 has a transponder in its key. I wish it did.

I do like digital copies of everything (taxes, financial stuff, receipts, etc), so I thought it was a good idea.

+1 on writing down the key number, though. One of the first things I did was to email that number to myself. At least that way I can't lose that number, and it's easily searchable.

I am a geek, I know....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think my 2006 FZ6 has a transponder in its key. I wish it did.

I do like digital copies of everything (taxes, financial stuff, receipts, etc), so I thought it was a good idea.

+1 on writing down the key number, though. One of the first things I did was to email that number to myself. At least that way I can't lose that number, and it's easily searchable.

I am a geek, I know....
Digital copies of legal documents are used in Spain on a regular basis.
My mum just takes the originals to the city hall. A magistrate will signature that they are authentic. The originals are then copied and counter signed.
My mum has had two bags stolen whilst shopping. It has saved her a lot of grief only losing copies of documents.

Nelly

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
In the US, my 2006 doesn't have any electronic key. I had duplicates made. One sits in my house in a safe place, one is at my parents house and one is secretly hidden on the bike in case I'm out far away from home/parents house.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com

This goes for the 2006 FZ6SA ass well, - at least here in Denmark.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've made keys from digital photos before. Even better than that... you know the Diebold voting machines? There was a marketing blurb on their website that just happened to have a picture of the key. Someone used it to originate a key (the process of making a new key from scratch, be it from photo, key code or other method), and then had a key that would unlock voting machines.

If you have a clear, non blurry photo of your key, someone could easily use that to make a new key. A locksmith should charge maybe $15 at most to make a new key from a photo. As FizzySix suggested... if you have the little tiny piece of aluminum that came on one of your keys when you bought it new (This works for any vehicle, not just our bikes) it came with a couple numbers and/or letters stamped into it. If you give this bit of information to a locksmith along with the make/model year they can make a key from that as well.

The majority of motorcycles happen to have this same key code stamped into the bottom of the gas cap. I haven't had a chance to look at our bikes to see if this is true, but here in a few hours I'll go grab the code if there is one, check it and verify it against my key. If there is one (later model vehicles have started to do away with this), then you could just copy the number from the bottom of the gas cap. Like I said I'll check here in a bit and get back with you on that.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com

Now you are crying about it, I just have to mention: The FZ6 from 2006 also had the 98Hp from stock :) (Plus Abs, Multiple colour combinations, immobilizer, naked option).
But then again, keep in mind that a new FZ6 here in Denmark is close to 28000us$.

Alfa95

Reaction score
Visit site
The majority of motorcycles happen to have this same key code stamped into the bottom of the gas cap. I haven't had a chance to look at our bikes to see if this is true, but here in a few hours I'll go grab the code if there is one, check it and verify it against my key. If there is one (later model vehicles have started to do away with this), then you could just copy the number from the bottom of the gas cap. Like I said I'll check here in a bit and get back with you on that.

Have you been able to verify this? Does the number on the metal key plate match the numbers under the gas cap??

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think whats funny is that the thread has been lying dormant for a zillion eons and has been resurrected.
The funny thing is that the new member actually searched for an answer . Kudos and welcome.

Nelly
PS my number under the petrol cap is a different number to the number that came with the keys.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted in an earlier post, I duct tape a spare key ON THE BIKE, in a well hidden spot should I misplace mine...

I want my spare key while out and about (and stuck), not a locksmith...

Alfa95

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, i did use the search feature but noticed the last post date after posting. Can any USA member confirm if the number under the cap is the same? I found a 4 digit number. Stamped under the gas cap but dont have the plate to confirm.