Sad story, ride safe

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
Man that is horrible... dude turned out right in front of the guy. Is colorado a Helmet requirement state? I know Utah isnt anyone know?

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
I know someone that lives out in Denver and supposedly she says you don't have to wear a helmet out there...

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Very sad indeed. That punk should get it for trying to run.

Although the crash was the bikers fault IMO. He was travelling way faster than traffic on a busy street and he trusted that SUV to get out of his way in time. Or his eyes weren't scanning ahead, maybe he was checking his mirrors or speedo etc.

The bottom line is, scan ahead & never trust another vehicle to do something for you in traffic, especially if their failure equals your death.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that is horrible... dude turned out right in front of the guy. Is colorado a Helmet requirement state? I know Utah isnt anyone know?

I know someone that lives out in Denver and supposedly she says you don't have to wear a helmet out there...

No, we're not a helmet required state. :(

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've said this over and over, it takes extroadinary mental skills to ride a motorcycle in traffic. You must know how, where and what to look for when you are riding out on the steets. If you do that you should never have to rely on your physical skills.

So whenever your mental skills fail and when a hazard does suddenly appear in front of you, what do you do along with most riders? Grab a handful of brakes which is not the best method to stop. Maximum braking is to use both brakes without locking either wheel.

From the video, it appears that the rider was able to manage to apply the brakes without lowsiding even though he did lock them up. Real important here, as you want to keep the bike upright to give yourself another chance to execute another corrective action which was to SWERVE!

The guy would have just experienced a brown pants moment if he would have swerved to the right and then be ranting what a stupid cager just did. But most riders forget that this is even an option and they automatically go to a handful of brakes and once again, you see another crash. This one cost the rider his life.

You've got to practice swerving and braking on a regular basis or it will all go to crap when you need it the most to save your life.

Helmet or no helmet, would not have mattered in this case.

And slow down riding on the surface streets. Look how much faster the rider was going compared to the two cars that he just passed. This is the reason why I never go more than 5 over on surface street these days. The freeways you can get away with speeding just because there are just not as many entry and exit points. Not saying that you should do this, but if you were to go fast, better on the freeway than on the surface streets.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - I'm not trying to thread jack, but certain videos raise questions as this one did for all of us. Could this have been avoided? Yes.
I'm not out to place fault, but I would like to raise the question and have others chime in regarding what could have been done different to avoid accidents and/or maneuvers performed to avoid accidents or at least lesson the severity etc.
Should we start the "opinion thread" >> what went wrong, why, was it preventable, so that we can we learn from others????

IMO: this one had clear right lane and could have used it. Then again, had he been going slower, it likely would never had happened to begin with.

Thanks Vegas. I typed this in my first post and deleted it. But we have to be aware to remain alive. Don't let a quick thrill/bad choice take your life. . .

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mother effer!! Another one (very similar to the philly vid posted few days ago). Once again could have totally been avoided had the biker been riding defensively, but very sad no less. R.I.P.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
When you are on a bike claiming you have the right of way means little. Always assume you don't have it and that you will be encroached on by drivers whose excuse always is 'I just didn't see him'. The bike was going way too fast for his environment, he had the right of way, but so what? Slow down, ride doubly alert in traffic. Assume no one sees you, they probably don't.

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the article it says the speed of the bike was estimated at 45mph. That is not very fast.... It is a 4 lane road very possible he was doing the speed limit. How can anyone say it was the bikes fault? That's like saying that someone was murdered in a home invasion because they were home it was their fault they died.... The Cherokee pulled onto the road 100% Cherokee's fault.... Comes down to kid in Cherokee probably did a quick look to the left and didn't notice the bike and never looked left again and was only watching all the traffic to the right.... I also noticed that the rear tire is locked up from before the bike enters the frame. I would say he used rear brake only....

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you are on a bike claiming you have the right of way means little. Always assume you don't have it and that you will be encroached on by drivers whose excuse always is 'I just didn't see him'. The bike was going way too fast for his environment, he had the right of way, but so what? Slow down, ride doubly alert in traffic. Assume no one sees you, they probably don't.

The direction the bike was going he was all by himself.......

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the article it says the speed of the bike was estimated at 45mph. That is not very fast.... It is a 4 lane road very possible he was doing the speed limit. How can anyone say it was the bikes fault? That's like saying that someone was murdered in a home invasion because they were home it was their fault they died.... The Cherokee pulled onto the road 100% Cherokee's fault.... Comes down to kid in Cherokee probably did a quick look to the left and didn't notice the bike and never looked left again and was only watching all the traffic to the right.... I also noticed that the rear tire is locked up from before the bike enters the frame. I would say he used rear brake only....

I agree...if he had locked both wheels it is very unlikely the bike would have stayed upright like that plus with all that burning rubber it doesn't appear to shed off much speed at all!

RIP sir. I hope your death will at least give other riders an increased awareness of the risk we face every time we ride around other vehicles. :(

Keep alert and mentally practice your evasive maneuvers before you have to use them!

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the SUV was pulling out of the car wash, across three lanes of traffic and a center turn lane. The video made it look like the motorcyclist was going too fast... but his speed was only estimated at 45MPH. The posted limit is 40. Regardless, it seems he was riding too fast for his ability. The SUV was well out into the street before he took action. And when he did act, it looks like he target fixated and panic braked. As others have said, there was plenty of space to swerve around the SUV. I don't think he was looking far enough ahead and by the time he realized what was happening, he was so close he panicked.

I hope they throw the book at the SUV driver. Anybody that leaves the scene of a collision they caused deserves to be made an example for others... especially a fatal wreck. Unfortunately, he sounds like a real dirt bag loser with a history of driving problems. It's unlikely the victim's family will be able to get much out of him in civil court.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That happened pretty quick. Swerving would be tough. Maybe he was shoulder checking at the same time, who knows.

He wasn't going overly fast either.

Poor guy.

RIP man.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope they throw the book at the SUV driver. Anybody that leaves the scene of a collision they caused deserves to be made an example for others... especially a fatal wreck. Unfortunately, he sounds like a real dirt bag loser with a history of driving problems. It's unlikely the victim's family will be able to get much out of him in civil court.

At least this driver turned himself in. Keep in mind that the primary reason why people flee after being involved in a collision is because they are either drunk or under the influence of something illegal or on prescription drugs, or have a suspended license. They are buying themselves time so that their impairments wear off. Not saying that this was the reason why the driver fled in this case.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to be respectful of those of you who have much greater skills than me, I feel compelled to add a different perspective, trying to evaluate a deadly incident from a lousy traffic cam and then making statements that the rider could have easily avoided the crash is a little un-human: I mean the human element seems to be missing from the discussion, the jerk in s.u.v was clearly doing something wrong, the rider maybe could have avoided the crash, BUT we are all fallible humans, not machines.

We need to remember we do not know for certain all the variables that lead to this incident or the skill level of the rider, we all sometimes get careless with out a conscious decision to do so. We all could be much better riders than we currently are, we could spend countless hours perfecting defensive riding, avoidance maneuvers etc. I presume most of us know the risks involved in our chosen passion, riding motorcycles...

The ride is a conscious decision to take a risk, and enjoy it! I try very hard to always scout out escape paths, and play the constant what if scenarios in my head while riding, but I do not know for CERTAIN how I will react in a given situation, I am human, we make mistakes, sometimes fatal ones...