Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to pick up FZ6R off the ground :(

Pre-crash pic:

attachment.php

The crash occurred on the quick stop exercise. The student applied front brake too abruptly causing the front wheel to lock up, and down he went, 4 feet away from me :(

No major damage to the bike (fairing, turn indicators, tweaked fork and some spilled coolant). Student was not hurt (mentioned some ankle pain, but said it felt well enough to go on) and he was able to complete the course.

I also had to pick up a Harley full dresser. Proper technique or not, that takes a little bit of muscle! I believe that bike is well over 800 pounds.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Indeed :rolleyes:

That sucks though, these threads are still good because they remind me that I'd like to take a class lol

Do it!! Where in NJ are you? We have 5 locations. Hopefully one of them is near you. Schedule & Registration

P.S. I'm teaching my last BRC of the season on Oct 19/20 at RVCC. (though I think it's fully booked)

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it!! Where in NJ are you? We have 5 locations. Hopefully one of them is near you. Schedule & Registration

P.S. I'm teaching my last BRC of the season on Oct 19/20 at RVCC. (though I think it's fully booked)
Looks like 4 (between Pemberton and Lakewood) is the closest since I am right next to Camden.

Not crazy far and it'd be nice for a good ride.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like 4 (between Pemberton and Lakewood) is the closest since I am right next to Camden.

Not crazy far and it'd be nice for a good ride.

D'oh! #4 is the one location which is closed :(
We haven't updated the site for it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Worse! Just doing a 90 degree to get to the starting point of cornering finesse (on reversal)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

A skill that they should have mastered in the BRC. Never under estimate the importance of stopping the rider after the swerve excercise. Requires the rider to proceed by taking a 90 degree turn after a stop. A skill that goes unoticed, most riders have the habit of going straight first then begin to turn.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A skill that they should have mastered in the BRC. Never under estimate the importance of stopping the rider after the swerve excercise. Requires the rider to proceed by taking a 90 degree turn after a stop. A skill that goes unoticed, most riders have the habit of going straight first then begin to turn.

Absolutely. Reversal on ex 7 is a good place for it.

I still see lots of *experienced* riders make a 90 degree right turn from a stop and go all the way to the double yellow, if not over it :O

Making tight turns from a stop is a skill which can (and should) be learned in 5-15 minutes. :don'tknow:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Doing a course like that on a full size cruiser has to be tough, especially if you aren't a big guy. My Victory Kingpin is 660 lbs and though it feels much more stable on the open road than my FZ6, it is a bear to maneuver in parking lots at <10mph as its weight doesn't help you at low speeds and you can't just put a foot down if you make a low speed mistake.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doing a course like that on a full size cruiser has to be tough, especially if you aren't a big guy. My Victory Kingpin is 660 lbs and though it feels much more stable on the open road than my FZ6, it is a bear to maneuver in parking lots at <10mph as its weight doesn't help you at low speeds and you can't just put a foot down if you make a low speed mistake.

Not to offend you in any away, but it sounds like you may learn something by taking this course. Many of our coaches ride full dressers (800+ pounds) or Goldwings (also well over 800) and most manage to make the U-turn in 20-foot box (there are 3 lines to choose from .. 28, 24 and 20.. majority of students don't attempt the 20 on their bikes).

There's a lot of slow speed stuff in this course.. great, safe place to practice and figure out how counter-weighing can make it fun and relatively easy to do tight maneuvers on big heavy cruisers!

I won't deny that making tight turns on FZ6 was a breeze (low gearing and narrow profile), but compared to FZ1, I've actually found that doing some of these exercises was easier on cruisers!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to offend you in any away, but it sounds like you may learn something by taking this course. Many of our coaches ride full dressers (800+ pounds) or Goldwings (also well over 800) and most manage to make the U-turn in 20-foot box (there are 3 lines to choose from .. 28, 24 and 20.. majority of students don't attempt the 20 on their bikes).

There's a lot of slow speed stuff in this course.. great, safe place to practice and figure out how counter-weighing can make it fun and relatively easy to do tight maneuvers on big heavy cruisers!

I won't deny that making tight turns on FZ6 was a breeze (low gearing and narrow profile), but compared to FZ1, I've actually found that doing some of these exercises was easier on cruisers!

To reemphasize what Erci has said, here's a Facebook Link to an open motorcycle event in Boise a few months ago that was open to the public involving slow, tight turns. Plenty of full dressers and Gold Wings in these photos, and an FZ6:Flash:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151473378903848.1073741842.179619413847&type=3