Rusty TANK!!!

alexfabian

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone else's tank developed a lot of rust on the under section and around the edges? Mine is definitely in need of a respray, anyone know a rough estimate of cost for this kind of work??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The interiors are known to rust if let partially empty over winter. Moisture builds up,+ bare steel= rust.

If you can poke some pic's, especially inside, might help.

But if its visible outside, I'd probably be looking for another tank, You don't want it leaking on a hot engine obviously..

alexfabian

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I can see there is no rust inside the actual tank it's just on the underside near the air filter and around the lower seam. I will post some pics tomorrow and see what you think.
Thanks for the reply

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If its just outside surface rust, its not a big deal.. Sand, prime and paint.

Yamaha, on the underneath of some tanks was sometimes cheap with the paint..

The insides (MOST importantly) should NOT have any rust. It will eventually get into the pump filter and that's NOT REPLACEABLE..(IE eventual pump failure)...

Pic of my old tank with the pump removed...

Double click to enlarge.

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to ask does rust inside the tank affects the fueling?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

alexfabian

Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully in mine it's just exterior rust. I shall be getting it painted over the winter months

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do say its not replaceable?

Granted Yamaha does not sell service parts at component level, but there is a large aftermarket supply of pump motors and filters available and the unit simply snaps together/apart. There is no need to buy a new pump housing unless this one is damaged.
This Denso pump assembly is in many bikes and is not specific to yamaha, although, pressure regulators, fuel level sensors, floats and float arms become bike specific.

When it comes time to manage the rust, keep in mind that stuff doesnt stop attacking. Once the physical scales are gone, chemical conversion slows it a lot, followed by an etching primer. Then top coat with a catalyzed two part finish. It doesnt have to have a clear coat so that will help reduce the labor hours.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm all for fixing vs replacing if possible.

If you could provide a list of snap on filters, (The filter does not come off/come apart) with brands, part #'s, etc would be helpful

Specific model and again part #'s for pumps etc would be a big help as well.

**In ALL the above cases, IF the filter gets clogged up from rust, your either repairing it or replacing it, period.

Plus you still have to address the tank inside rust itself..

I'd rather have a good tank where I'm NOT dealing/worried about the pump failing, is there rust in there, how bad/dirty IS the pump filter..

The Op asked in post #5 IF RUST in the tank affects fueling... I think we both agree, yes, eventually it will..

If you can post those specific brand, model #'s, etc for the pump and filters, please do so so I can save them for later posts. (I'm assuming their plug and play, no hacking, return line change overs, etc)..

Last edited: