Running hot

saminator

Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever my bike exceeds 207 deg F the fan kicks on and runs even after the bike is turned off. It will continue to run until I reaches 205. My question is shOuld I wait until it turns itself off or can I remove the key and force it to shut off?

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6's fan switches on at 100C (212F) and off at 95C (203F), and will continue to run regardless of whether the engine is running until the ignition switch is turned off.

Can someone from the US confirm that this is also the case for the US models?

Once the engine is turned off, leaving the fan running isn't really going to help much as the coolant is no longer being circulated around the cooling system by the water pump.

I wouldn't say it's particularly necessary, but you would do better to leave the bike idling for a minute or two before turning the engine off, as the fan will be running whilst the coolant is still being circulated, cooling the engine much more effectively.

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fan kicks on after the motor is off because the engine might actually get HOTTER once off. That's because the coolant and oil is no longer circulating to keep the motor cool. Its normal. And I have an 06 so I cant tell you exact temps..all I know is the fan kicks on with 4 bars and is off with 3 bars.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you would do better to leave the bike idling for a minute or two before turning the engine off, as the fan will be running whilst the coolant is still being circulated, cooling the engine much more effectively.

wrong! don't let it idle, bike needs to be moving in order to cool down. better to shut bike off.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Totally normal. When you're done riding and the fan is on, just shut the bike off and go about your business (key off.. fan should shut off).

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
wrong! don't let it idle, bike needs to be moving in order to cool down. better to shut bike off.

Sloring, please research what I have said above further and see what you come up with, tejkowskit is on the right track...

'The fan kicks on after the motor is off because the engine might actually get HOTTER once off.'

This applies directly to cars, bikes however don't generally require this as the engine is much more exposed to the elements. The FZ6's fan won't, as most cars will, run when the ignition is switched off.

The only reason the fan runs when the ignition is switched on and the engine is not running, is because the fans operation is controlled solely by the temperature gauge reading, from this the fans electrical system has no way of knowing whether the engine is actually running or not, its purely based on the temperature.

As said above, it isn't really necessary to leave the engine idling, however this would be much more effective at cooling the engine than switching the engine off and leaving the fan running.

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A gallon of gas has 100,000++ BTU's making heat. 90% or thereabouts gets lit and burned in combustion. So a bunch of that is in the exhaust. Some of that 10% that didn't burn during combustion is burning in the exhaust or dumped there unburned.

The point - just because you stopped the combustion process the engine has a mass of heat energy that needs dumped. Once cooling and circulation stops the temperature WILL CLIMB! THis is normal and happens on all engines. The gauge reading will climb. Period.

Running the fan is of little value as the bulk of the heat energy is inside the engine and w/out coolant circulating there is no value in draining the battery to cool the radiator. Well unless you wish to heat the air around you on cool day!

The thermostat opens around 165F IIRC
Cooling fan Kicks on around 212F

In traffic at low speeds on Regular fuel 87 octane US RON at around 75F temps and up (lots of idle at light), mine will run from 195F to 212F even though the outdoor temp is 75. As it gets into the 90F+ it does the same thing.

Hopefully this clear it up a little. . .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the engine turned off and the ignition and fan on, the fan is only cooling the radiator and draining the battery...

The water pump isn't turning and isn't pumping hot water to the radiator. The radiator will be cooler but it isn't helping the engine..

If you leave the key on (engine off) you'll see the temperature rise a bit and then stop as the block is still hot and is now strictly cooling down without the radiator but just with the difference between the ambient air temp (100 degrees) and temp of the engine (say 200 degrees)...

My US bike does the same thing, turn off the key, the fan stops..

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
In traffic at low speeds on Regular fuel 87 octane US RON at around 75F temps and up (lots of idle at light), mine will run from 195F to 212F even though the outdoor temp is 75. As it gets into the 90F+ it does the same thing.

This is about what I see.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

This is about what I see.

Good to know. . . Tks

saminator

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Thanks for the great infomartion. I searched online for a little while and couldn't find any information on this particular question. It's good to know I will not have to hangout by my bike while I wait for the temp to drop.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I park in a deck at work and have to go up 3 or 4 levels to find a spot. Typical street speed for a mile before is 20 to 35 MPH so not putting much heat into the motor. Most of the time the temp will go up while riding thru the deck at 10 to 12 MPH for the fan to kick on by the time I park. Leaving it idling until the fan goes off will only drop the coolant temp by 10 to 15 degrees. It has an oil cooler which will tend to limit the max oil temperatures. I just turn it off, pull the key out and walk away. Benefit of the deck is my seat is not hot at the end of the day when I go home.