Rubber piece between instruments and fairing?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a rubber piece that is supposed to go between the instrument panel and the fairing on the '07 '08 models? I could have sworn that there was one there but this morning notice that it's either gone or I was hallucinating.

Here is a pic of where I think it is supposed to be.

2722108401_ff72a495fd_b.jpg

Thanks!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I must have washed too vigorously and lost it. I imagine everything under there is watertight anyway so it probably won't hurt to leave it off.

Does anyone have extensive enough knowledge of the inside of the fairing to say whether I should leave it off or order a replacement?

Thanks!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Travis, It's really a trim piece and it doesn't have a functional purpose. Beside without it your bike is lighter and faster too! :rolleyes:

C

Cowboys6

I had one on my '07. It fell off several times in my garage when I was cleaning the backside of the windshield. It finally blew off on the interstate about a year ago. No problems at all since then. I have ridden in the rain and washed the bike several times since then.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Travis, It's really a trim piece and it doesn't have a functional purpose. Beside without it your bike is lighter and faster too! :rolleyes:

Well at least now his slower red can finally catch up with the faster blue since it's lighter now without the trim.....:rof: just kidding.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I'll have to go look in the morning to see if mine is there or not... Hmmmm.....

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if something like that flying off is a warranty issue? As far as I'm concerned....it should be. Well, maybe but if all that secures it is a rubber lip then, I say, Yamaha/NASA engineers need to return to the drawing board on this one and figure out something better. Oh well, I suppose, next, mine will fly off during a future lift-off.

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike is still in warranty nag them. If not forget it, after all is only a piece of rubber.

PS: It could have drop and be lost inside the fairing...

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
My '07 still has its (last I noticed). But dang, what an ill-fiting piece of trim it is. In no way closes the gap. Amazing.