Rpm Ratio To Speed

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone notice the rpms going down about 500 in high gear? I changed my oil last weekend and switched to 5w50 syn. Since then it shifts much better but the rpm to mph has changed a bit. Before I was at about 6000rpms to about 68mph. Now I am about the same speed but about 5600rpms.
I am very confused about this the oil wieght would not change the gear ratio. Does anyone have any thoughts?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
It shifts better because the oil is a part of the clutch.
It probably runs at a lower temperature also.

The probable cause of this is that the engine is running better, and needs less fuel to go the same amount of speed. For some reason, everyone has significant improvments after the first oil change. Maybe your choice in oil weight (if its not the first) basically helps the engine run better.

godwin_thambi

Reaction score
Visit site
What type of oil did you use. What brand? I'm about to change my oil and I want to get as much advice as I can. I'm at about 2700km. How many liters of oil does your FZ6 take?

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil last weekend and switched to 5w50 syn. Since then it shifts much better but the rpm to mph has changed a bit. Before I was at about 6000rpms to about 68mph. Now I am about the same speed but about 5600rpms.

Sorry but absolutely not, impossible.
RPM's for a given speed is dependent on one thing only, overall gearing.
And that cannot change it's self, ever.
If it really is showing different revs then there is a fault somewhere, probably with the dash unit, or one it's sensors.

Neil. :thumbup:

PS: Only other reason could be clutch slip, just a thought.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

even with clutch slip it would go up rpms per mile traveled and not down.
Tires wear away so they will cause up rpms per mile as they wear.
I believe this may of been a case of mistaken rpm reading.

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
i also would like to know the oil type.

pch, what oil and weight do you use? since I changed mine to 15w-50 syn. my temp is usually up compared to what it previously was...it runs a lot hotter.

Of course, that might be cause its about 15 degrees hotter than it was before I changed it....:)