Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Riding jeans made of kevlar

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lewis6681

Reaction score
Visit site
Next question- From a commuter standpoint, I wear my uniform under my riding gear. The mesh jacket does a fine job and I've got it sized right. My question is, for those that wear bottoms over your street clothes, how much oversize would you recommend to order? I envision during fun rides in the heat having only shorts on under and a little leg flap wouldn't concern me but I prefer to have them loose enough to comfortably fit over my pants during regular workweek commutes. Lower side zippers would be nice to just slip on/off over my boots.

Thanks,
David

I have the same question....

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually overpants are sized such that you just order whatever your normal pant size is. For example, I wear a 36/36 in regular street pants, so when I order overpants I order a 36/36. The manufacturer will build them such that they fit comfortably on top of clothes of the same size. If you still have any doubts as to what's the right size, check out the manufacturers website or ask the retailer what they recommend. If you're going to give people money, the least they can do for you is help you pick the right size. Good luck.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Kenny, I'm going to look into these: Mesh-Tex 2.0 Features

That's a great choice; they fit well and are nice and cool while riding. They can go inside boots ("racer" style) or over them which is handy. If you do buy them, let me know what you think of the supplied "armour" in the knees. I discarded it in favour of Joe Rocket knee/shin hard armour which just fits in the pockets. Also watch out for the questionable quality of the fly zipper...mine broke open after just one ride. I've had it replaced with a good quality zipper. (cost $12)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FirstGear Mesh overpants here. They are not all Mesh and reinforced in the right areas. Yes, the armor is just the foam but upgrades can be had cheap enough. Ordered in the size I wear and they fit over jeans or dockers fine. Water resistant liner is great for blocking wind and moderate rain. I can use these with the liner down to 35 degrees without getting cold legs.

Only complaint is the zipper pulls are all weak and half broke off.

I've ripped them once and patched and have to patch again because I melted a 5" spot near the boot when I got too close to my wife's exhaust.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
last year I rode with tourmaster venture mesh pants. This year I'm riding with Olympia ranger 2 pants. They are not vented, but it is cool enough in the morning to wear them over my work pants. On the way home, I wear running tights under and it is fine up to about 90 degrees. I'm planning to switch to tights under mesh if it gets much hotter. I think the knee armor is pretty important

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear - Joe rocket phoenix 2.0 pants in the summer. Most of my riding is to and from work (90+ degree heat) with shorts on (work clothes). East to take on and off without taking my shoes off and breathes great. Only thing I dont like is they are a little too baggy and long for me. Prabably need a size smaller.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Shift Low Down jeans and got to wear them yesterday in our 90+ degree weather. They are much more comfortable then my textile pants in the heat. I don't think they offer nearly as much protection as mesh with padding which is why I ordered a pair of mesh pants too.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Last week I got a pair of Olympia Airglide mesh overpants. They are silver (ok grey) instead of black and they are really comfortable. I wear them over pants in the morning and if the temp is above about 85, I wear them over tights. Today coming home from work, it was 91 F. These pants over tights were very nice.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today, I had a brain fart when I got dressed. When I got to work to take off my mesh riding pants, I noticed I forgot to put on my shorts underneath them. So much to my surprise, it was just my underwear and riding pants today.:(

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today, I had a brain fart when I got dressed. When I got to work to take off my mesh riding pants, I noticed I forgot to put on my shorts underneath them. So much to my surprise, it was just my underwear and riding pants today.:(

:jawdrop: :tard: :rof: :scared:

Is this the "I went to work nude" dream come true?

Thanks for the laugh!!!! Wife is STILL laughing!!

T

tfiedler

So I would like see what others think about my riding gear for the summer. Last year, I rode with just regular jeans. But as the weather got cooler here in Vegas, I ended up wearing textile riding pants. Now that it's getting hotter again, I'm trying to decide which will be the safest way to ride without compromising protection. I'm so use to wearing riding pants, that riding without them, I feel kind of naked. However, riding with mesh riding pants and jeans is not going to work here in Las Vegas. Lately, I've been riding with shorts, but with the mesh riding pants over them. The mesh pants have some soft padding covering the knees and hips, but no armour. Or, should I buy a pair riding jeans that have kevlar and ride without the mesh pants?

I'm sure it has been said but dress for the crash. I wear Olympia motosports technics gear, pants and jackets, and having had the pleasure of crash testing them, I can confidently state that they did not come apart and held up outstandingly. I also zip my pants and jacket together and wear gloves and boots, regardless of how warm it is.

My buddies are mostly total squids but that's because none of them have every had a nice high speed slide across pavement, and they give me crap all of the time. I suppose I'll bring them an aspirin or two when their tank tops ride up during their first.

I am looking at some Sliders Kevlar khakis though, and some knee armor. I think those will go well with my bright yellow olympia jacket!

Concept

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mesh/textile pants with CE armour in the knees and hip area. Wind flows straight through the mesh of course and the areas where you are likely to come in contact with the ground have the heavier duty textile matierial, "Cordura" apparently.

I live in a tropical area and it gets quite hot and humid here in summer. I generally sweat under the padded area and thats it.

When it gets colder I use the wind/waterproof liner that they come with. My Jacket is the same, its the Collins Aqua set.