Riding in the Rain?

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I picked up some FrogTogg's yesterday and wouldn't you know it rained today. I was curious about trying them out so I went on a bunch of errands today. The Frogtogg's did a good job... except for when I forgot to zip the jacket shut and my shirt got wet. Now I just need some rainproof gloves and boots... my hands and feet got wet and very cold even though it was in the 50's it was enough.

After riding about 100 miles today I was pulling into the parking lot where I leave my bike. I was anxious to get inside and warm up. I guess my mind was elsewhere. I was performing somewhat of an illegal turn and not really mindful of what I was doing. I had to run parrallel to some railroad tracks and once I hit the tracks, me and the bike went down. I had nooooo idea that they'd be so slippery. I was only going about 3-4 miles per hour but it was enough to shake me up (first time I've dropped my FZ6) and to scratch the left crankcase cover. It's ironic because my frame sliders just shipped today.

Luckily I was wearing all the proper gear and I didn't get so much as a scratch on me. Guess I'll have to mark this one up as a lesson learned. always pay attention. things can be replaced, people can't.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Railroad/tram tracks are awful things to cross,you have to go straight , just ask anyone that lives in Melbourne !

Sorry about the bike but least your ok !

Reaction score
Visit site
So I picked up some FrogTogg's yesterday and wouldn't you know it rained today. I was curious about trying them out so I went on a bunch of errands today. The Frogtogg's did a good job... except for when I forgot to zip the jacket shut and my shirt got wet. Now I just need some rainproof gloves and boots... my hands and feet got wet and very cold even though it was in the 50's it was enough.

After riding about 100 miles today I was pulling into the parking lot where I leave my bike. I was anxious to get inside and warm up. I guess my mind was elsewhere. I was performing somewhat of an illegal turn and not really mindful of what I was doing. I had to run parrallel to some railroad tracks and once I hit the tracks, me and the bike went down. I had nooooo idea that they'd be so slippery. I was only going about 3-4 miles per hour but it was enough to shake me up (first time I've dropped my FZ6) and to scratch the left crankcase cover. It's ironic because my frame sliders just shipped today.

Luckily I was wearing all the proper gear and I didn't get so much as a scratch on me. Guess I'll have to mark this one up as a lesson learned. always pay attention. things can be replaced, people can't.

GLad to hear you are okay!:eek:

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
Also get a pair of M/C gloves that have a built in squeege on the index finger for wiping the rain off your visor.

I was caught in the rain last week and kept wiping the water off my visor with my glove. Honestly I had no clue there was a squeege built on the left index finger. I was suprised that that wiping the water off did so well. It wasn't until the next day I noticed the squeege.

I just had to confess this.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
GLad to hear you are okay!:eek:

Thanks. could have been worse!

Here's the crankcase... guess I'll touch it up with some black spraypaint instead of getting a new one.

cover.JPG

And... I guess it's time for those Pazzo or ASV's?

clutch.JPG

At least my hand doesn't slip off.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You know the crank case is just a cover, it can be replaced. Not sure how expensive it is, but I think the price is not too bad.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know the crank case is just a cover, it can be replaced. Not sure how expensive it is, but I think the price is not too bad.

Yeah. I checked one place online and it was like $54. I thought I'd go the cheap way out with a little spray paint.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
You should leave that bent clutch lever - neat looking. It looks like you had Picasso do some mods to your bike!

When things are wet, all that stuff that is a non-issue when dry is suddenly hazardous -- your RR track is a good reminder of that. That's why I generally stay away from rain (although today I had an errand to do down a windy canyon, so of course I rode rather than drove). But it wasn't really any fun because I was super-wary of tar snakes, paint, and anything else, so I barely leaned at all.

lemonguns

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode for several hours in the rain the other day. Not on purpose - I just took off on a three hour trip to go see a friend and it started pouring in the middle of it. I find this bike to be very gentle in all instances - coming from V65 and Virago land - and the rain was no different.

Not nearly as much water as you think will get on you - my knees are all that got really wet.

The traction I don't know - never made any moves to test the limits - but much of the trip was on highways where I had to go 70 and 80 mph just to keep from getting run over.

I like finding a car that doesn't throw a lot of water up and staying a pretty good ways behind it - in it's track. Gives you a drier run and helps give notice on puddles - animals - debris in road etc.

Oh hi - my name's Trey. I bought a 2006 FZ6 about two months ago with 400 miles on it. It's blue and bone stock. It has 2500 miles on it after this trip and I'm about to do the third oil change. I've been lurking since the day I bought the bike almost. Nice board!

Oh - and for your faceplate - take it off the helmet - wax with mother's carnuba wax, spray down with Stoner brand invisible glass on both sides and rain and fogging are no longer problems.

ewink5

BigMonster
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! Turn on the high beam and just get use to getting wet! Try not to travel too far in the rain or you might start to get cold and grumpy. I rode back and forth to work every day this past summer, rain or shine (Durham, NC). It was good riding every time. A set of dry clothes waiting at the destination is good (if you're riding to work). If it rains a lot in your area, rain gear might be a good investment.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think all the main points have already been covered by these guys so I'll just add a personal story and what I learned from my experience.

Long story short: I was riding in the rain. Pulled up to a red light and stopped. Put my feet down, but instead of just putting my feet down like normal I happened to step in some oil or diesel fuel. I did a nasty one sided split type of move and actually pulled my hamstring muscle keeping the FZ from falling over. I could barely shift the rest of the ride. I had to stop at a friends house and chill out for a few hours until my leg stopped hurting.

Just another hazard to watch out for.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to touch on the stay away from the painted lines advice expressed by others. I had heard the advice but didn't realize how true it was until today.

Getting on the freeway at about 45-50mph today I was making an easy right hand turn on the inside lane, a semi truck on the outside lane. I was trying to distance myself from the semi and kissed the inside line.... whooooa nelly did things get loose! Not a good feeling at all. lucky I just eased up on the turn and got back ot the center of the lane and all was well but... that could have been really really messy. be careful in the rain peeps. (myself included)

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I just wanted some straight forward tips from the vets around this forum who brave the elements.......

It's rained here in San Diego the 3 days or so(waaaa....I know;)), which by nature is kind of weird. I've had my FZ about 3 months now and don't dare venture into the rain willingly, but the other day I went with a friend to a Triumph dealership to check out bikes , we took his car as I left my bike in his garage. As the skies darkened in the afternoon as we were returning, I must admit feeling quite the pu$$y as I sat in his car praying against rain, and urging him to get me back to my bike.
So......What are some \"steadfast\", \"live by\" tips for rain riding, an inexperienced rider like myself should have in my arsenal, in case I do need to ride in the wetness?
(I've signed up for the licensing course in January, & I'm sure weather will be discussed, but......)

Driving in the rain is like driving in the sun, - the more you do it the better you get!!

If you live in a dry climate, make a point of going out every time it rains, - better to get the practice BEFORE you really need it.

Other than that, (and what everyone else have said) I can only say: Rain or Sun,- always ride to your abilities, NOT to others expectations.

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
lucky I just eased up on the turn and got back ot the center of the lane and all was well but... that could have been really really messy. be careful in the rain peeps. (myself included)

Riding in the centre of the lane is not so good either, you should ride in the same part of the lane as the car tires run (you have 2 choices). These are the cleanest parts of the road as they are scrubbed by all the other vehicles tires.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding in the centre of the lane is not so good either, you should ride in the same part of the lane as the car tires run (you have 2 choices). These are the cleanest parts of the road as they are scrubbed by all the other vehicles tires.

Good tip, and stay well away from white lines...and last of all, in traffic, sit anb extra 10-15 metres back from the vehicle in front...just in case you have to perform an emergency stop...

:rockon:

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned in the rain. The first day of the MSF rain poured down nonstop all day. Some people went down pretty hard, but you learn to respect the bike.