Riding in the Rain?

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I just wanted some straight forward tips from the vets around this forum who brave the elements.......

It's rained here in San Diego the 3 days or so(waaaa....I know;)), which by nature is kind of weird. I've had my FZ about 3 months now and don't dare venture into the rain willingly, but the other day I went with a friend to a Triumph dealership to check out bikes , we took his car as I left my bike in his garage. As the skies darkened in the afternoon as we were returning, I must admit feeling quite the pu$$y as I sat in his car praying against rain, and urging him to get me back to my bike.
So......What are some "steadfast", "live by" tips for rain riding, an inexperienced rider like myself should have in my arsenal, in case I do need to ride in the wetness?
(I've signed up for the licensing course in January, & I'm sure weather will be discussed, but......)

Last edited:

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not a vet nor an expert and I just got my bike 2 months ago but found myself caught in the rain too. I just slowed down and had to keep whiping the water from my helmit. I thought it was going to be way worse but it was just uncomfortable. The MSF course does not really go in depth about weather.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IT SUCKS!! i just watch the weather 30% or less and i will go for it.there is really nothing you can do other than go slower than usual.your biggest problem is people in cars not seeing you,so be hyper alert of your surroundings and give your self more time to come to a stop you dont want to slid into a busy intercection or another vehicle!!

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I just wanted some straight forward tips from the vets around this forum who brave the elements.......

It's rained here in San Diego the 3 days or so(waaaa....I know;)), which by nature is kind of weird. I've had my FZ about 3 months now and don't dare venture into the rain willingly, but the other day I went with a friend to a Triumph dealership to check out bikes , we took his car as I left my bike in his garage. As the skies darkened in the afternoon as we were returning, I must admit feeling quite the pu$$y as I sat in his car praying against rain, and urging him to get me back to my bike.
So......What are some \"steadfast\", \"live by\" tips for rain riding, an inexperienced rider like myself should have in my arsenal, in case I do need to ride in the wetness?
(I've signed up for the licensing course in January, & I'm sure weather will be discussed, but......)

I'm glad you posted this. I actually had to go ride in the rain today (what's up with all this rain in SD?). I think I only ride in the rain because I'm mostly retarded. I don't have any wet weather gear so I kept thinking to myself as I was freezing my balls off (literally) on the rainy ride that as soon as I got back I was going to dry out, make a post about it and see what everyone on the forums did, and shop for rain gear.

Here's my noob take on the matter:

If you couldn't see then that would be the first step. At highway speeds it wasn't a problem but at slower speeds I did have to open my visor a bit to let some airflow in so it didn't fog. I read that some Rain-X (tm) on your visor would help keep rain off the exterior, so those two tips would help you see...

I found it hard to concentrate on safety and watching other motorists because I was too focused on being uncomfortable. So that's the the next step I think is trying to stay dry/warm. I'm looking for gear to go over my leathers. I've heard a lot of good things about Frogtog's. Maybe I'll buy some of those or something like the Tour Master Elite rain gear.

I think if you take care of those things then you can focus on riding. From my [nooby] experience the [dark] center part of the lane may usually be the best place to ride when it's dry, after a rain it's extra slippery. All the oil and other slippery liquids don't mix with the rain so it's certainly a hazard to be mindful of. Slow down, since braking distances increase and available traction for braking/turning decreases. Then there's the aspect of decreased visibility (the rain itself and the lack of light). It effects not only you, but others on the road too.

I really hadn't thought of this until today but there was an area in the road that looked like any other part of the road. I was about 100' behind the car in front of me when I saw about 18" of the car's wheels go under water! Large areas of standing water must be the wet weather equivalent of black ice.

I'm sure there are other things to be mindful of and watch out but those are the ones I know about. I'm not so interested in freezing my bits off again so I'm curious as to what people's preferences are as far as wet weather riding gear, in addition to how their riding changes in wet conditions.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Correct gear is very important. Because you do not get much rain (11 inches a year), just buy a one or two piece rain suit for wet conditions. I have a bright yellow as cagers will have a harder time seeing you in the rain Also get a pair of M/C gloves that have a built in squeege on the index finger for wiping the rain off your visor.
As for riding- take it easy. Gentle inputs on the all controls, stay away from painted surfaces such as those big arrows at intersections , the center line,etc. as they are real slick when wet. Watch out for big puddles as they can hide a pothole or other hazards. Freeways can suck due to all the spray from the cars so secondary roads may be safer. Remember all the oil drips on the road come up with rain so it can be real slick, intersections are the worst. It can almost be fun - just take it easy.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct gear is very important. Because you do not get much rain (11 inches a year), just buy a one or two piece rain suit for wet conditions. I have a bright yellow as cagers will have a harder time seeing you in the rain Also get a pair of M/C gloves that have a built in squeege on the index finger for wiping the rain off your visor.
As for riding- take it easy. Gentle inputs on the all controls, stay away from painted surfaces such as those big arrows at intersections , the center line,etc. as they are real slick when wet. Watch out for big puddles as they can hide a pothole or other hazards. Freeways can suck due to all the spray from the cars so secondary roads may be safer. Remember all the oil drips on the road come up with rain so it can be real slick, intersections are the worst. It can almost be fun - just take it easy.

What he said :D

All good tips

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
something else I have always found to be a big help for me while riding in the rain is tire pressures depending on what tires you are riding on . I have a set of Avon Storms on my FZ right now and unless they are within a couple pounds of the right pressure they can be a little squirly in slick conditions . And something else that has always help me is be lose. Think a head about moves you are going to make turn on your blinkers much earlier that normal to let people know what move you are making the same goes for you braking aply you brakes much earlier let the people know what you are doing . And most of all SLOW DOWN traction really goes away in the rain even more so if it has not rained in a long time just take your time :noworries:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wear proper rain gear. Doesn't have to be from a motorcycle shop, any rain gear from a marine or sports our outdoor shop like Bass Pro Shop where I got mine will work. But having reflective gear is a plus.

Riding conditions in the rain will vary depending on how often it rains in the area you live in. Be very careful if it's the first rainfall, as the water will mix with all of the oil and grease which will make the roads turn into an ice rink.

Try to stay ahead of traffic, that way you can avoid all of the back wash from other vehicles. We don't have windshield wipers so visibility is very important. Split or filter lanes if you have to when you come up to an intersection. Get pole position! It's like a jockey riding a race horse through a sloppy track, the jockey out in front has great visiblitly, as the horses that are behind are getting covered with all of the slop.

In the event you have to decide whether to stop or go through an intersection because the light has turned red, run it! If you try stopping, most likely you will go into a slide, and end up going into the intersection anyway, so you are better off throttling up. In addition, because your brakes will be wet, you will not get an immediate response when you apply them, increasing your stopping distance to a point where it will become impossible to stop in time.

Becareful not to downshift at high rpms, as the rear wheels may slide out from under you. But downshifting in the rain is a great way to slow down safely, just make sure you add a little bit of throttle as you release the clutch so the downshifting ends up smoothly rather than a jerky motion.

As mentioned, becareful for any standing water, large painted areas, and manhole covers.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good stuff here.....my 2 cents, Tyres that have lots of tread left on them help too, i always keep my tyres in tip top condition in winter, and definitely change them out earlier than i would in summer.

:thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get some waterproof overgloves for your riding gloves.

If the leather gloves get really wet, your fingers can get sore and they take hours to dry in a warm room.

Steve

Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff guys! I hadn't though tof many of these things! The tire pressure for one,.....the place I brought it for my 600 miles service, emphasized to me that as a new rider, I should get very familiar with my tires and checking pressure, etc...

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In no particular order...

Leave bigger gap between you and the vehicle in front.

Try to avoid manhole covers.

Try to avoid rails or only hit them at right angles.

Try to avoid paint.

Try to avoid the slow lane (truck and bus lane.....lots of diesel.)especially on hills.

Try to avoid busy bus routes....diesel again.

If you're riding at night, amber lenses help with spotting the paint.

Try to avoid the centre of the lanes at the lights...oil and paint arrows.

Make sure your tires are good.

If you go through a big puddle, drag your brakes a for a bit to keep them grippy ( I do this regularly in the wet anyhow.)

Stay away from areas where water gathers on the other side of the road, as there is nothing worse than a big vehicle creating surf that smashes you like a wave and makes it impossible to see at all for a few seconds:eek:.

And if you get out in front of traffic there will be less oily spray of the road and the water that does hit your visor will be cleaner.

The back of one of my fingers is primo for squeegeeing water off my visor....need o figure out the best way for you and your gear.

Try to ride smoother than normal...accelerating and braking especially.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mike

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is Oregon and we get some rain! I got a Alpinstars El Nino one piece rain suit and it works great. It was rated number one in tests. You can't get it in the states so I got it from a dealer in the UK. All the wet weather riding tips posted are great. The main thing is be super carefull and don't be in a hurry. Pretend you are invisible to other vehicles and expect the unexpected! It's really not that bad. I rode for 3 years rain or shine. :thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride in the rain regularly, I live on the Gulf Coast. I reccomend that you go to sports store or on-line to check out rain gear. I wear Froggtogs, $60.00. I also keep a polyester chamouis(SIC) cloth folded up behind the windscreen to wipe the visor. If will be in the rain for an extended ride, you can slip grocery bags over your feet before your slip the boots on, dry feet are REAL nice. Get waterproof gloves, dry hands are nice, too_OK, that's it about gear. Now, ramp up your situation awareness. There are people that are trying to KILL you, cagers don't think about bikes in the rain. ALWAYS drive with the brights on. Give yourself time to stop, the roads are slick. Wait a second at redlights until the way is clear. And if you find that you can't handle the rain, get off the road. Rain stops eventually, then you can get where you need to be. Hope this helps, GRUMPY

F

FZSex

So......What are some \"steadfast\", \"live by\" tips for rain riding, an inexperienced rider like myself should have in my arsenal, in case I do need to ride in the wetness?

1. The first several minutes when the rain starts, road is slicker than normal (oils etc. start pooling) - be cautious
2. Those lines painted on the road get slippery as hell in the rain
3. Give yourself more time than normal for braking, following, etc.
4. Read number 3 again.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All great tips. I'd echo these:
- slower, more deliberate, input on the controls
- signal intent earlier and keep an eye on the cars -- rain or shine, I ride as if other drivers just do not see me.
- avoid the center of the lane -- this, for me, is an always rule.

Remember: It's easier to stay dry than to get dry.
A cheap-o rainsuit will be your best friend if you think you might get stuck riding in the rain. You'll only have to wear it for a short while -- so suck it up as far as the coolness factor is concerned. You'll be dry and happier when you arrive at your destination. (folks will look at you and think, "wow, that guy knows his stuff, he must just ride all the frickin' time...") ;)

The finger squeegee has been mentioned. Rider's Wearhouse has some good stuff to make all-weather riding a bit more bearable or manageable.

I seem to recall that rain-x was not particularly a good thing to spray on a bike visor, though I may be off there. The folks on the vfr list taught me about lemon pledge. Yep, furniture polish. Clean your visor with plexus first, then spray it with (not sure why but they swore by the "lemon" version...could have been just for the pleasant lemony goodness...) pledge before riding in the rain. As the rain falls, all that you have to do is turn your head to the side and the water will bead off. This works for a while -- really until you're compelled to wipe the visor with your hand/squeegee. If you find yourself riding in a real heavy deluge it can get sorta overpowered. This is when the squeegee comes into play.

As for the inside of the visor, I've had good luck with a goggle no-fog cloth. You can get 'em at ski shops and maybe some moto shops. Yeah, when I forget to wipe it down, I also have to lift my shield slightly to get some air flow across it to clear it.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
O you guys crack me up!! :D

You've never driven in the rain???

Get yourself over to Ireland this instant, where it rains 99% of the time!!

Anyways, tips:

If you want to make it a common occurance get good waterproof gear!

Dont drive too near the edge of the road or the central region of the road (on your side of course). I tend to drive on the part where the car wheels run...this is the cleanest and possibly safest of them all. Plus the central portion of your side of the road could have alot of spilt diesel which is never good in the rain.

Dont worry about your tyres, they are built for rain riding so they wont slip but with that said, in rain try to ride smoother with no sudden directional change (ie: flipping the bike from one side to the other in case the wheels do aquaplane on the water on the road)

Dont drive on white lines or any painted lines on the road...you'll slip if your not careful!.

Dont stop and put your foot down on a diesel spill...painful outcome there with the ould groin ligaments!

Dont stop on diesel!! :rolleyes:

Avoid all things such as: man holes, metal plates on the road, lines, stones (gravel), muck, leaves, diesel (I hate diesel!!).

Also make sure your visor is always clear, use Nikwax visor cleaner (it comes from god it works that well!)

I've been riding in the rain for about 3 to 4 years now, almost every day or at least for a good few thousand miles!

I've got loads of other info I'm sure but no stimulation to think about it now...so if you have any questions feel free to PM me coz I'll probably not find this thread again with the number on here! :)