Reserve Gas Limit

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, today I found out just how far I can go when the fuel gauge starts to blink and the f trip meter comes on. With pretty fast starts and running between 65 and 75 mph I ended up running out of gas when the f trip hit 49.6miles.

I was fairly close to the gas station but I did have to do some duck walking and some run beside pushing. I was laughing the entire time and saying to myself that I should have put a few dollars in earlier.

I know theres been questions on this so here is my personal limit.

:rockon:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, I went 30 miles on R once but found a gas station before I found the R-limit. Looks like I could have made the next town. :)

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and of course at roughly the same time, my battery was kinda low from not plugging in my battery tender for awhile. So even after I got the gas I had to duck run and bump start her in second. What a fun day.:BLAA:

At least, I have a pretty good estimate of my distance and type of riding I can do before she cuts off.

BTW, when I filled up, 5 gallons topped her off. I know the paperwork says the tank is 5.1 gallons. Talk about empty.

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I kind of figured that there was 1 gallon left when it goes to reserve. So that would be about 50 miles give or take. At least that's what I had figured. I ran it to about a half gallon once. There was not much rolling around the tank when I filled it up. Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I imagine that crap 10% ethanol gasoline plays into getting a little less mileage. I hate that crap: less power, mileage, harder on seals, lines, etc. I try to stay away from brands (Union 76, etc.) that pump that crap fuel. I know there are 1,000,000,000,000,000 oil threads---I think we need more "fuel threads." Boy, that's pretty good on "F" trip. I've only gotten as far as, I think, 45 miles on "F" trip and I was taking real, real easy downhill.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
with commuting style riding (mixture of highway and city) i was able to get 65.3 miles from 'f trip' to 'dead empty' (i did this deliberatly and had a fuel can with me).

on a recent highway trip to the mountains, i had 45.6 miles on my f trip before i decided to stop and get gas before it got sparse. that tank of gas was all interstate (80-ish mph). when filling up, i calculated i had about .2 gallon left.

this bike gets fantastic mileage. im consistantly in the mid 50's per gallon.:rockon:

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have an 05, does the gauge change to F or R?

I had it blinking on my trip just as I got to work.. since it was 27 miles back home I just chanced it with no issues.. blinking all the way until I got off my exit at home.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have an 05, does the gauge change to F or R?

I had it blinking on my trip just as I got to work.. since it was 27 miles back home I just chanced it with no issues.. blinking all the way until I got off my exit at home.

Your gauge will switch to a f count down of mileage, going from 0 to 45+miles. I normally fill up just after it starts blinking.