Please Help! 2009 FZ6R Throttle cutting out / Rev limit on Low Fuel

asmiller0

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All,

My 2009 FZ6R, new to me with 1400 miles on it one month ago, now has 3500 miles and has developed...

A PROBLEM:

First Time --> I thought it was normal operation- a few miles into my "fuel trip" the revs were being limited to 6-8k on the tachometer. I fill up with fuel and it was good to go.

Now ---------> it starts CUTTING OUT after i use about 2.5 gallons of gas. Then I fill up and everything is fine!

This weekend I am doing Oil/ Filter replace, spark plugs, fuel system cleaner,.... anything else?

Thank you!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check that your fuel lines and vent line are not kinked. It could be a faulty fuel pump not delivering the volume needed. Maybe a clogged screen filter?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To expand on the above, ^^, there are two vent lines/drains located at the lower rear of the tank, each side.

Follow them to the lower right side of the bike, just ahead of the tire. gently tug them and confirm there are no kinks in the line.. EVERY time the tank is lifted, they tend to kink.

If this doesn't work, try riding with the gas cap loose (so it definitly vents) and check for improvement.

Lastly, do you see any rust in the fuel tank when partially empty?
With the low miles, if the bike was stored with little fuel in the tank, it's very possible there's rust in the tank and that WILL CLOG UP the fuel pump.

If the vent "check" doesn't help, you'll likely be pulling the tank, fuel pump to check for a clogged pump. Pic of a badly clogged pump:

Another member posted this pump, that will fit W/O paying a fortune for a genuine unit.. Post back should you need assistance getting the pump out (kind of a PIA)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The vent line being plugged would likely only matter on a continuous run where you never stop.

After riding for 30min, open the tank and listen for suction sound.

It is more likely to be a water or sediment issue. A full tank allows everything to swim about so to speak. As it empties, it (whatever IT is) condenses into a much smaller space.

Perhaps start by emptying the tank and looking at the innards with a flashlight. See anything odd?
Rust, gravel, sharks, water?

asmiller0

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. As I wait for some of the supplies to arrive by mail, I will inspect everything with the gas tank.

I am pretty sure the vent lines for fuel are okay- there is a double line right in front of the kick stand that drains fuel as i filled up right to the top!

Just under the cap while filling up, I noticed a small bit of rust so it's possible there is more in the tank. It was hard to find the exact fuel pump/filter I need, so THANK YOU...

Thanks again. I'll update in time.