Removing the rear tire hugger

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone think its stupid or not to cut the rear tire hugger off , but leave on the chain guard on. I'm afraid it would make a wet mess if caught on a wet road.:confused:

I already took it off, very happy. I cut along the chain guard seam, can't even tell its been cut. Thanks for all the advice fellow riders..

Last edited:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is what I was thinking?

IMO I don't think removing that will improve the appearance that much if at all to justify the effort?

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the rear hugger completely, including chain guard. I would say that if caught in a rain storm you would definitely want to clean and lube the chain afterwards, but I would do that regardless of a chain gaurd. I rarely ride in the rain anyways and I think it looks much sportier without the hugger.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that it looks much cleaner...however a big mess is the result. The hugger really does a great job keeping the underside of your bike clean. The other problem is what would you do for a chain guard, cut the hugger off?

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely prone to even more gunk under the tail. I like to spend more time riding and less time cleaning... to each their own though.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ride faster than the rain and you'll be fine:

2905721653_7879485203_b.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the rear hugger completely, including chain guard. I would say that if caught in a rain storm you would definitely want to clean and lube the chain afterwards, but I would do that regardless of a chain gaurd. I rarely ride in the rain anyways and I think it looks much sportier without the hugger.

AJ, were you at RIT last night? Your bike looks identical to the one I saw parked on campus around 7:30, between the soccer field and tennis courts.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Removed my rear hugger just yesterday, before i put the bike into the shop for some mod work...intend to cut hugger back as far as possible and still keep the rear shock protected from crap, whilst also retaining the front part of the chain guard...i do take my nine year old son on the bike as a pillion, so do want to retain some protection....

But i think the FZ looks much better with no, or a very minimal hugger on it.

:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK it is mandatory to have a chain guard, so we don;t get that option.
I really like the stock hugger. It prevents shed loads of road grim hitting my zorst.

I think that a cut down version is also pretty sweet looking though.

Nelly

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's required in most states as well, but most people don't care.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Even with the hugger I get a lof of crap on my exhaust, so doesn't matter and I don't take my bike to dirty roads. Boneman, I think you could cut it even more - doesn't look any different from stock.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is interesting.... Many of the riders I encounter who DON'T have a hugger inquire about "where I bought mine" because they want one. Folks that have them want to mod or take them off. This is much like the Euro-FZ6 that is naked... the U.S. doesn't have this model so we go to great lengths to make our bikes naked.

Not knocking anyone or your choices, it's just an observation. I like the hugger for the purpose it serves. It's not as important in parts of the country (world) that do not see much or hardly any rain. Here in New England, it definitely serves a valuable purpose. However, if I lived in SoCal where there was 2 flippin days of rain? Off would definitely be my first choice! :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just a thought for those of you who completely remove everything.

I was given a hard time at safety inspection with my old bike for not having a chain guard. they passed me anyway, but they said that i shouldn't have passed and to say that i took it off after i left...

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
It does look great without the hugger, BUT to me the hugger is worth it's weight, purely keep grim out the way.

Wht i would recommend is painting it as *someone* here did ... that kept the hugger but really looked awesome and different!!!