Removing the front tire on an 05

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to remove the wheel to get a new tire mounted. I have the service manual and it looks to be simple enough. I will be doing the work on the center stand ( with something under the headers of course ). What I would like to know is do I have to remove the front fender or can I drop the wheel low enough (with the bike on the stand) to clear the fender.

Thanks

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have to remove anything. Just squeeze the calipers with your hand on both sides before you start to give you some extra clearance when re-installing. Loosen the pinch bolt, then the axle. Remove the axle while pushing up on the front wheel (to take weight off it). The wheel should come right out.

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
And here's a (perhaps dumb) question--is it worth it/necessary to take off the rotors before taking the wheel in for a new tire, to avoid warping/mishandling?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And here's a (perhaps dumb) question--is it worth it/necessary to take off the rotors before taking the wheel in for a new tire, to avoid warping/mishandling?

Nope, no need. Undo the bolts holding brake calipers in place and suspend calipers using whatever you like. This way there no chance of damaging rotors. and it's only 4 extra bolts total.