Removing link from shock

wdevine

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I've got the ass end of my fz6 apart, attempting to put the stock link back on the shock as the previous owner had put a lowering link on. I'm having a hell of a time getting the link off, the shock... rod thingy just keeps spinning and I can't get a good grip on it. Any ideas?

Also another thing, the bearing in the link, the rollers kinda started falling out of it when I took the collar out. Can I repack it with grease and put them back in or do I need to get another? If so, what kind of grease? Thanks for any help!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I've got the ass end of my fz6 apart, attempting to put the stock link back on the shock as the previous owner had put a lowering link on. I'm having a hell of a time getting the link off, the shock... rod thingy just keeps spinning and I can't get a good grip on it. Any ideas?

Also another thing, the bearing in the link, the rollers kinda started falling out of it when I took the collar out. Can I repack it with grease and put them back in or do I need to get another? If so, what kind of grease? Thanks for any help!

Yes, you need to replace the caged bearings and the sleeve into the swing arm. I'm certain if you look at it, it will have chatter marks where the rollers damaged the surface.

As for the shock: You have the spring off yes?
You need to clamp the shocks shaft right next to the shocks end. Push the rubber bumper down and limit the damage to the shaft to the area right next to the shafts end.

PS - I know some folks have filed some small flats on the shaft. I'd try to minimize this. Also file any marks off so they don't damage the seal should it ever get to that area of the shaft.

Here are some parts you'd need.
Without it, the inner race will be destroyed... .... You really need new bearing in there.

3 93109-17071-00 OIL SEAL 2 $4.24
4 93315-31758-00 BEARING 1 $12.06
8 90387-1012B-00 COLLAR 1 $6.89

Although the shaft I thought would be ex*****ve is cheap #8

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2008>FZ6>REAR SUSPENSION

wdevine

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, will have to get ahold of the replacement parts.

And no, the shock is still on the bike with the spring still on it. I have it disconnected from the swing arm and was hoping to replace it like that. I have already tried lifting up the rubber cup and plastic ring on the bottom and grabbing the shaft with vice grips but I couldn't get a grip on it, it would still just spin. If I take it off the bike, how would I clamp it to get the link off?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at this thread. I installed an R1 Shock but the pictures should help you...

On the center stand:
Pull the hugger
Remove the bottom shock bolt
Pull the bearings pin while lifting up on the rear tire

Remove the top bolt and pull the shock.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-alternatives-how-install-r1-shock-w-pic.html
SSC_566WEB_zpsa36766d1.jpg

*** DANGER ***
That spring will tear your head off. Have a professional remove the spring. Take the shock home and unscrew the bearing end (spring landing). Replace it with the OEM and have the spring installed.

With the spring compressed, this keeper can be removed and then the springs pressure released. Replace shock end and assemble.
45371d1351137743-somethin-black-dsc_5612-r1_retainer-jpg

Reverse order to assemble and use some water proof grease. I grabbed some Valvoline Crimson. It meets the needs for that application.