Reluctance to lean? Bike wants to stay upright on turns?

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been noticing my bike doesn't really want to take turns like it used to.

It is a weird feeling. I am about to make a turn and I can normally feel the bike want to take it no problem but this new feeling is like the tire wants to keep rolling straight.

I have checked the pressure of my tire (37 front, 40 rear).

I am wondering if this is a common bear problem possibly?

2006 fz6 with 13,000 miles.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Standard air pressure is 33 front and 36 rear for the FZ6 and yes that could be it! :)
Also as tires wear their shape/profile changes which can add to different feeling on turn in.

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
As said above, tires change shape during their life. If you do a lot of highway/straight line riding (commuting), then tires will get squared off. This can lead to decreased ease of turn-in.

This is an image I just found on Google that shows a bad case of squaring.

20090801095758_DSC_3768.jpg

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
My tires are pretty crappy, I think I paid like $165 for the pair installed.
Shinko Stealth I believe.

I definitely need more traction , my cold traction is an absolute unfunny joke.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is how the front tire looks, sorry it is kinda dark outside, and my bike is dirty as crap right now.

20141029_202258.jpg

20141029_202309.jpg

Definitely some squaring off there, but what about the rear? If that's squared off, it's going to hugely affect how the bike initiates lean. And usually, rear will square off more than the front with same miles on the tire set.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put almost 10K miles on my first set of tires (fizzer was my first bike) and my first ride up Ogden Canyon, on new, round tires, was an absolute revelation! I don't try to eek out every bit of life out of my tires anymore.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely some squaring off there, but what about the rear? If that's squared off, it's going to hugely affect how the bike initiates lean. And usually, rear will square off more than the front with same miles on the tire set.
Agreed. The rear tire should really determine if the issue has to do with squared tires.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The op is in Texas. I'll bet you a small drink at a large drive up window the rear is squared.

Time for some good new tires

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
A picture is worth a thousand words. Yes, I think you've identified the problem. There's nothing else between the bike and the road. Your tires are the most important component. A few hundred dollars will save you possibly thousands. Good tires are a good investment. :thumbup:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be honest with you, your tires are junk, they were junk when they were brand new and they're junk now. Just spend the money and get a decent set of sport touring tires. There's a lot of good brands out there. Do that and I promise your turning issues will be gone. And if your still not sure, ask yourself this, what do I really want between my skin and the asphalt.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What size is that rear? Looks like a 190!

I think Texas supports BIG Chicken! :spank::spank:

OP - nothing personal ^^ ! Grab some new tires it will feel like million when into those next corners!

My previous front had the shape of a Razor blade and it was EVIL! You'd be turning and then the bike would fall in MORE and rather unexpectedly! Tires matter! :thumbup:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looking at the wear pattern and coloring of the tire, it looks like these do a fair bit of straight line riding. They're definitely squared off. I would agree with the general sentiment that new tires are the way to go.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looking at the wear pattern and coloring of the tire, it looks like these do a fair bit of straight line riding. They're definitely squared off. I would agree with the general sentiment that new tires are the way to go.

No arguing with you guys, I'm ready for new tires. I just wanted to confirm I'm not crazy.

I got these tires because they were in stock and cheap. I came from a ninja 250 and wasn't going nearly as fast as this bike can.

Any suggestions for street only riding? Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No arguing with you guys, I'm ready for new tires. I just wanted to confirm I'm not crazy.

I got these tires because they were in stock and cheap. I came from a ninja 250 and wasn't going nearly as fast as this bike can.

I'm using a combo set of tires because I just switched over to a Bridgestone T-30 on the back. It's a good tire with good stick in the turns and a good wear factor. I usually run BT-016 pro or S-20 by Bridgestone but you don't need those right now and they do wear quicker.

There are many great tires out there that I'm sure other members will recommend for your type of riding. :)

Michelin, Metzler, Pirelli....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You're not crazy. It's most definitely the tires.

I've used Dunlops (Q2, Q3), Michellins (Pilot Road 2) and Metzlers (Z8).
Pilot Road 2 is by far my favorite of the bunch. They are the opposite of how your bike behaves right now.. due to a V-profile, the bike falls right over.. almost too easily, but I like that :D

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using diablo rosso II's on street. I'm living in Turkey, I think in US rosso's would be much softy for the american road's grippy tarmac but if thradwear is not a problem, I suggest them strongly. You should check the tires than head bearings. If any replacement needed, I suggest allballs roller type tapered bearings.

Anyways, maybe you should give more counter-steering to bike.

sorry for dictation errors.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Go look at that tire and tell me it aint a 190! Maybe it's the camera but when I see that tire I hear.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlItMpGYQTo"]Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

55489d1414696527-reluctance-lean-bike-wants-stay-upright-turns-att_1414691439044178-jpg