Recent Bike Swap REVIEW!

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine wanted to use my bike in order to get his m/c license, b/c my more upright riding position is more comfy (=stress free) when you're being watched. Told me to ride his bike for 2 days, wring it out, and give him my opinions. What could i say?
Mike's bike is a heavily modded 07 Kawasaki ZX-10R. The fastest superbike dragster around right now, stock! These are the mods that I can recall: 1) Ivan's TRE, 2) -1 front sprocket, 3) lower profile, 190 mm rear tire, 4)drilled/bored out stock pipes, & 5) SpeedoHealer.
Day 1- 5:00 AM- Hopped on it in my shop, and mentally prepared myself for 41 miles of pure horsepower (hoped I would live long enough to offer my report...)! The foward riding position never entered my mind, as I honestly had to concentrate to keep this beast under 90 mph! 5:20 AM- arrived at my 1/2 way point of commute. Used to being here around 5:35 AM. While at a red light, I straightened up for a moment. I realized that my 6'3" 285 lb body was not cramped. My only thought at this point was- "What have I done? Could have had a 'busa!" After the 1/2 way point, my ride to work is straight as a proverbial arrow, with a few red lights thrown in for good measure. Just to get a feel, I began to get on this amazing bike a bit harder at launches- in an effort to get a feel for the torque... (it IS a 1000 after all...). She responded by raising the front tire in 3 gears. I was honestly in "Liter Heaven" when I got to work. All day long ppl wanted to see the ZX, sit on it, & take photos with it. No way to get more than 3 gears under power, as I was over 100 mph. Finally, my day was over. Time to leave. I headed to the highway, noting that traffic was very light. My mind went over all of the typical scenarios. To my credit, I held it together, wasn't an idiot, and made it home, all the while fighting the bike to keep it at near the speed limits (even harder in the daylight)! As I put it in the shop for the night, I noticed the absence of my FZ. To be continued...

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Day 2- 5:00 AM- Mike had called to ask if I was mean enough to it. He said I should be meaner. I still do not know why he was up at this time... Noticed how hard it was to stay under the speed limit again. In the dark, this early with no traffic, I played with this superbike even more. Cracking the throttle open results in an instant wheelie- in nearly any gear, with no clutch work needed! Brakes are strong, but front is noticeably weaker than rear. Contact patch seemed "nervous" to me. I got a lot of strange vibrations to the bars than never seemed to be repeated. Every stop light reminded me that this bike is not uncomfortable at all. After waiting what seemed like an eternity, work was over, and I pointed the ZX10 toward home. Now, I was feeling confident on the bike, and I reminded my self that I was on the street, and needed to show more restraint in the daylight with more traffic. The first problem came when passing a slow driver on a 4 lane road. I dropped a gear, made the pass, and noticed a solid 130 mph speedo reading. Freaked out in every way, I slowed and cruised for a while at 70 mph (legal limit). My mind was reeling, and I simply could not understand how a motorcycle could accelerate like that. I gingerly opened to 3/4 throttle, and the speed again leaped from 70 to 100 in mere seconds! Looking around, I saw no traffic. Not good. Dropped to 4th, speedshifted to 6th in less than a 1/4 mile. Checked speedo. 181 mph. Backed off, rode home at the legal limit, and prayed he passed his test. I failed mine.

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Conclusions:
1) Kawasaki ZX-10R is an awesome machine.
2) Mods make a good bike better.
3) If I had bought that damned 'busa- we probably wouldn't be talking now.
4) Sorry so long! ready

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers for the review....
but

Mike's bike is a heavily modded 07 Kawasaki ZX-10R. The fastest superbike dragster around right now, stock! These are the mods that I can recall: 1) Ivan's TRE, 2) -1 front sprocket, 3) lower profile, 190 mm rear tire, 4)drilled/bored out stock pipes, & 5) SpeedoHealer.

heavily modified IS NOT STOCK!

and those mods are very very minor

started reading thing the zx-10 has had the head off, ported with more compression full system etc

yet is sfa mods my fz6 is more modded than the zx-10!

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers for the review....
but

heavily modified IS NOT STOCK!

and those mods are very very minor

started reading thing the zx-10 has had the head off, ported with more compression full system etc

yet is sfa mods my fz6 is more modded than the zx-10!

I meant when stock, his bike won Cycle Guide's superbike drag race. I rode it stock, and wasn't very impressed. After his mods, the bike came to life! When you ride a 600, the 1000 seemed heavily modded to me! :thumbup:

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a very mean machine. But at least you are big enough to handle the power.

So did your buddy pass or fail?

He passed! I never got around to saying how great is was to get my FZ back. Mike was amused when he showed me the top speed recall button, only to see that he had a new reading... hehehe...

Oblisk

Reaction score
Visit site
your friend just got his license and is riding a ZX10R?????:squid: maby tell him to becarefull thats a ton of bike for a new rider

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report, I can see the amazement on your face turn to a big grin.

cv rider asked -Why does anyone need this kind of power for the street?

Because the throttle works both ways. Many people do not realize how quick my FJR 1300 really is. No need to downshift to pass. Been over 140mph too many times to count with a best GPS confirmed of 150mph fully loaded on a trip to Colorado.

There is a time and a place for everything. Nevada was made for crusing well into tripple digits. When used correctly power can get you out of trouble too.

Perhaps a FZ1 is in your future?

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice review - thanks. Brings home the point - why does anyone need that type of power for the street?

Thanks for your kindness, I am by no means a writer. I think it is the same syndrome that makes everyone want to be "king of the hill"! Competititve ppl need competitive machines. When I decided to buy a new bike, I test rode an '08 'Busa, but knowing how much of an idiot I can be, ran away screaming! Still sometimes haunted by that move. (I rode MX & cruisers before now...) ready

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like what I was thinking after riding a 07 GSXR1000. That thing was way too much fun for me. Always fun to ride someone's bike faster than they have.

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like what I was thinking after riding a 07 GSXR1000. That thing was way too much fun for me. Always fun to ride someone's bike faster than they have.

I think it really messes with them, but if they push the issue too far, they fear getting challenged. Poor rookies!