Reasons for Wearing Gear

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This actually made me tear up. I love my fiance' so much, if she ever got hurt while on the back of my bike I'd be absolutely crushed...

That is the same way that I feel, and I think that if I show her that I care that much about it, she will not argue any more.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your opinions and links, so far!! :thumbup:

I hope that this thread keeps going strong!!

Lets see some more links/pictures! :D

I agree! This is a great thread and I like the idea of how we might come up with ways to convey why wearing gear is so important with out the morbid aspect Instead a more fool proof, logica,l caring way to get the message across.

I remember years ago someone had posted on this forum, tests on different materials and how fast they deteriorated with just a few pounds pressure against a road surface in a few feet. It was very enlightening!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish i had a pic of what happened when i went down on my friends dirtbike at about 5mph in shorts, much less 60mph... tore my leg open bad... 2" wide 2"deep and about 4" long on my right knee, bled like a stuck pig, only time i've ever been in shock... was weird, the shower curtain hitting me in the head hurt more that day than when it happened...I've fallen off many a dirtbikes at high and low speeds... i know it hurts, and i know gear helps... and hell thats on dirt, i can only imagine what skin rubbing against pavement at 60mph feels like...

I've always enjoyed the "run as fast as you can then slide on the pavement" idea.... yeah thats gonna hurt like hell, and yes i want as much gear on me as possible if that happens...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. I just had one of my former students dump $1,1000 on the kevlar pants, jacket and gloves with Motoport. He's going on a four corner ride around the US, and he wanted the comfort of knowing that he was getting the best protection in the event he encountered a worse case scenario.

I've taught about 200 MSF Classes, and I have worn my kevlar pants in front of the classroom everytime. It always turns into a topic of conversation. Reason being, there is nothing in the current curriculum that mentions kevlar. Cordura, leather...yes, Kevlar no, until the see me wearing the pants.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. I just had one of my former students dump $1,1000 on the kevlar pants, jacket and gloves with Motoport. He's going on a four corner ride around the US, and he wanted the comfort of knowing that he was getting the best protection in the event he encountered a worse case scenario.

I've taught about 200 MSF Classes, and I have worn my kevlar pants in front of the classroom everytime. It always turns into a topic of conversation. Reason being, there is nothing in the current curriculum that mentions kevlar. Cordura, leather...yes, Kevlar no, until the see me wearing the pants.

I started a thread a few days ago about me ordering some Motoport gear, and I can't wait to get it in! I went with the GP-2 jacket and pants, with a few options that were suggested thrown in. Total cost will be right around $1100, but for a set of gear that will replace all my other gear, it's completely worth it.

I'm still debating on the gloves, though. Right now I wear Cortech Adrenaline gloves that I absolutely love, but I've been reading up on the Motoport gloves and trying to decide if I want to get a set.

Norbert, I know you've had a set for a while now and like them...how are they holding up for you? Same for you, VEGASRIDER (or is it SPUDRIDER now? :D) I've seen reviews that had some pros and cons, so it's hard to make a decision at the moment.

Any reason NOT to pick up a set while I'm getting a full set of gear from them?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I started a thread a few days ago about me ordering some Motoport gear, and I can't wait to get it in! I went with the GP-2 jacket and pants, with a few options that were suggested thrown in. Total cost will be right around $1100, but for a set of gear that will replace all my other gear, it's completely worth it.

I'm still debating on the gloves, though. Right now I wear Cortech Adrenaline gloves that I absolutely love, but I've been reading up on the Motoport gloves and trying to decide if I want to get a set.

Norbert, I know you've had a set for a while now and like them...how are they holding up for you? Same for you, VEGASRIDER (or is it SPUDRIDER now? :D) I've seen reviews that had some pros and cons, so it's hard to make a decision at the moment.

Any reason NOT to pick up a set while I'm getting a full set of gear from them?

The only complaints I have about the the glove is they surface the palm and finger areas with that hard Kevlar rienforcement and it gives a slippery feeling when squeezing the clutch and brake levers. When I had the R1 I wrapped the levers with Bontrager tape that you use on bicycles. I finally got used to the feeling on the SV. I like the gloves in the SoCal winter because they are warmer than my leather gloves. Because of the material they don't take heat away from my fingers as fast.

The wrist area lacks any impact protection that you see on most all gauntlet type gloves today.

I would imagine there are not many (if any) gloves that would give you the amount of protection these will give in a slide. The gloves have great Kevlar knuckle guards on all the fingers and Kevlar palm area. They are washable and will last you a long long time. Unless you're Kenny! He wore his out! Since they have an awesome guarantee to fix them he sent them in and they were so worn they just replaced his LOL!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
The only complaints I have about the the glove is they surface the palm and finger areas with that hard Kevlar rienforcement and it gives a slippery feeling when squeezing the clutch and brake levers. When I had the R1 I wrapped the levers with Bontrager tape that you use on bicycles. I finally got used to the feeling on the SV. I like the gloves in the SoCal winter because they are warmer than my leather gloves. Because of the material they don't take heat away from my fingers as fast.

The wrist area lacks any impact protection that you see on most all gauntlet type gloves today.

I would imagine there are not many (if any) gloves that would give you the amount of protection these will give in a slide. The gloves have great Kevlar knuckle guards on all the fingers and Kevlar palm area. They are washable and will last you a long long time. Unless you're Kenny! He wore his out! Since they have an awesome guarantee to fix them he sent them in and they were so worn they just replaced his LOL!

It seems that's the one biggest gripe (if you want to call it that)...the Kevlar material being slick/slippery. Like you said, though, that's a pretty easy fix.

There are two areas of concern for me personally. First, the lack of armor on the exterior of the wrist area. Honestly, I only say this because I've always worn gauntlet gloves and the ones I've tended to like HAVE the big piece of armor there (like the Adrenaline gloves). Now, who's to say whether this would actually help that much in a real-world scenario? I don't think it can hurt, but it might be a little overrated.

The second area of concern, and this is the biggest one for me...is whether the gauntlet on the Motoport gloves is both large enough and long enough to easily fit over the jacket sleeve. From the pictures, it does appear long enough, though I tend to like LONG gauntlets, particularly with a double closure flap. Can someone weigh in on the size of the gauntlet and whether it's big enough?

Thanks for all the info, Motogiro! :thumbup: My only real regret is not getting a pair of these when they were $129...lol.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, they are slippery, and takes getting use to, one of my concerns.

They are by far, the longest lasting pair of gloves I have ever owned. Previously, I went through about two pairs a year. Remember, if you ride every day, and mount and dismount anywhere from six-twelve times a day, or even more on occasion, that's a lot of wear and tear on the gloves from not even riding. I have sent them in twice for repair, but I have a feeling I'm just going to get another set.

I am the taxi cab of safety gear. You want to see how they hold up, give it to me.