Rear shock question.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

A bit of a stupid question to which i cannot seem to find an answer:

How do you remove the shock if your bike doesn't have a center stand?

I have a rear paddock stand, but fail to see how it would help me as it uses the swing arm to raise the bike, and a regular hydraulic car jack that i usually use under the headers to raise the front wheel.

Any tricks i am missing?

Thanks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd use the ole milk crate under the header and let the front tire rest on the ground technique.

It won't be stable resting on the header so if your working in a garage, two well placed tie downs from the rafters to the handle bar / frame would be a good back up. Even attaching tie downs from the bars downward to something solid should keep the bike steady.

If you have a MC trailer, that would be even better. Tie the front bars down to the trailer as normal and jack the header closer to the rear, picking up the back tire/rear end...

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd use the ole milk crate under the header and let the front tire rest on the ground technique.

It won't be stable resting on the header so if your working in a garage, two well placed tie downs from the rafters to the handle bar / frame would be a good back up. Even attaching tie downs from the bars downward to something solid should keep the bike steady.

If you have a MC trailer, that would be even better. Tie the front bars down to the trailer as normal and jack the header closer to the rear, picking up the back tire/rear end...

By "ole milk crate under the header and let the front tire rest on the ground technique." do you mean resting the headers on something and then putting weight on the front so the you lift the rear?

I could see that working... Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
By "ole milk crate under the header and let the front tire rest on the ground technique." do you mean resting the headers on something and then putting weight on the front so the you lift the rear?

I could see that working... Thanks

Yepper!

It will be unstable as the header isn't flat so you WILL have to secure it from tipping over.

You could uses you sizzor jack (vs a milk crate) but that would be even more unstable...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think that one of these with a jack/something under the headers would work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjNRl8e7ox4

If you have one, most likely, yes.

That and a sizzor jack (or crate) would probably do it. I have never tried it, so I would get a friend as you start to jack up and see how sturdy it is and go slow.

A thought,
Can you pull the shock WITHOUT PULLING the rear wheel?

If so, using your paddock stand, put the sizzor jack in-betweeen the top of the rear wheel and the inner fender(maybe a 2x4 trimmed to fit). The bike is still on the paddock stand and you can literally adjust (with the sizzor jack) the height, remove the load off the shock, and support the bike while the shock is out..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe all the shock bolts are accessed from the side, dunno if the rear wheel removed gives you ANY ADVANTAGE anyway...

From just looking at the shop manual, it looks like you can likely go that method but do need to support the swingarm/wheel from falling down any farther..

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have one yet, but it's pretty cheap and if it can help me not drop my bike its a good investment!

Regarding the rear wheel, the manual says it has to be removed to remove the shock, not sure there is a way around it...

I won't be changing the shock right now, but it's definitely in the near future, will update this thread when the time comes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have one yet, but it's pretty cheap and if it can help me not drop my bike its a good investment!

Regarding the rear wheel, the manual says it has to be removed to remove the shock, not sure there is a way around it...

I won't be changing the shock right now, but it's definitely in the near future, will update this thread when the time comes.

Seems both bolts are removed from the side.

IMO, although you may not use it often, I'd pick up a used CC, mount it without the springs (tie it so it doesn't fold up), then you have a solid platform to work on, no doubt.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, i thought about getting a center stand, but the weight and the visual kept me from doing it.

I think i will get a front stand and see how it goes.

Hopefully i will be able to change the shock this summer, and add gold valves in the front!
Can't wait....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, i thought about getting a center stand, but the weight and the visual kept me from doing it.

I think i will get a front stand and see how it goes.

Hopefully i will be able to change the shock this summer, and add gold valves in the front!
Can't wait....

Re the CC, I wasn't talking about a permanent install. Just bolt it on (no springs) for this kind of work, then remove when done.

If you have a garage, (you own), I ran a 4" x 4" beam across the roof trusses(at least four).

Drilled the 4x4 and put a 1/2" threaded dowel thru it (with a nut and washers on top). Punched thru the garage ceiling and installed a round threaded hook to the rod.

I could easily pick up the back of your bike (with some tie downs creatively placed) and run some additional ties to the handle bars to keep it from tipping.

Something to consider (if its possible on your end, cheap too)

Its strong enough (I have one on each side of my two car garage) that I've pulled a small block Chevy engine and transmission with it with a come-along.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The garage idea is good, but unfortunately the ceiling is pretty low, and concrete slabs, no idea how reenforced it is, don't want to start drilling it and have it collapse on me!

I just ordered myself on of these babies:

ConStands Motorcycle Paddock Stand Wheel Chock Easy Red

Should make the job easier...

I am trying to convince myself to wait before i get stuck into the shock and emulators, but i am slowly losing the battle.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another option might be to grab a center stand and throw it on w/out the springs.

I'm not sure what your skills are but but many floor jacks have a center pivot that lifts out. You could fab up a drop in assembly from steal that bolts onto the floor jack and basically reach up and bolt into the old center-stand holes. Although I personally would not place 100% trust in a hydraulic jack either. Consider a fixed stop.

FWIW: in the case of propping the nose up using the center-stand and headers, the bulk of the weight is on the center-stand and perhaps 50 lbs is on the headers. In the case of supporting the REAR W/OUT a center-stand, you're looking to load up 60% of the bikes weight on the header. That said I'd give some consideration to making a bracket that disperses the load to the frame.

Perhaps even pins into the swing arm bolt as a quick option. Of course that induces limitations as to what can be serviced too.

Good luck and be safe.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I just love my center stand!!!!!!!!!!!! You do have to remove the rear wheel, fender hugger, seat cowlings to access the top and bottom bolts. Oh, those pesky visuals and all that weight, woe is me.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas guys!

I have decided to just go all out and order a new shock and emulators next month, with a bit of luck i will have it all mounted in early June.
I will definitely let you know how i manage to do it, and will create a new thread about it.
Since i have already done the Racetech springs i will try doing the emulators, ride for a while, then do the shock.
That way i will be able to tell precisely which mod is the more important of the three and what does what.

Let's hope it all goes according to plans!